1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New camera frenzy.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Danny_Two, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Out of interest how many of you that have pre ordered the new Olympus have held it or even seen it in the flesh?

Seems odd to me that so many seem willing to spunk £/$ 1000 on something they have never seen. It's a nice camera for sure, but the fever pitch surrounding it is a little bizarre, even for the photography world.

What are you going to do if it turns out to be crap?
    :wink:

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Scalp it on eBay for 1100! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Same thing I would do with a crappy camera that I did hold in my hands - return it :smile:

4. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    uh, return it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Return it, obviously, like I'd do with any other piece of equipment for which I might have paid more than delivery charges... No matter what.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    There was a used EM5 on UK Amazon yesterday (it's gone now).

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would not be too worried about buying a new camera from a mfg you have had experience with in the past (assume positive), provided you purchase from a vendor with a return policy.

The main reason I would want to wait on any new camera, is for raw support in Lightroom, etc.

All that said, it is a bit troubling to see how much stuff is released with half-baked software these days. I don't think Olympus, or Panasonic, are the worst offenders here.

8. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    It's not crap :)

I preordered - I was planning to upgrade to an E-P3 from my trusty E-P2 when I heard about the release. I read the info and early reviews. I wanted the faster autofocus and the larger sensor and IBIS - the price was not that much higher than the E-P3 but it has a bit more bang for the buck IMO.

I'm an original OM shooter so I love the style - but that's not really important. There are things I had no idea I would love. I love the touch screen. I was shooting a luna moth last night while leaning over a firewood pile in the dark. I rested the camera on my arm and touched the screen where I wanted to focus. Lightning fast auto focus. I didn't even care about that feature and I'm seeing lots of potential in it. The viewfinder - honestly I haven't used one on a camera since about 2005 - I love this thing. All the live info is in there and the LCD knows when it's near your eye and turns off. Build - this camera feels amazing in your hands. This camera looks great, but so much of how it works was truly well thought out. My E-P2 is looking a bit sad now.

I know there is a lot of frenzy about the wait times, trust me - the wait is worth it in this case.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For those of us who have used many other Olympus cameras and cameras in general, we know from experience what most of the strong points and weak points of the camera are. The weather sealing and control dials are on par with the E-5, the size and shape is like an E-P3 with a little extra hump. The EVF is at least as good as the VF-2. The IQ is at least as good as the G3 or GH2. The AF speed is at least as good as the E-P3. The IS system is at least as good as the E-P3 and touted to be a lot better. This camera also features things like a vertical battery grip which we've experienced in many other cameras.

Just how much better it may be in certain areas may require actual use, but there is enough that we can draw on experience with other cameras and in the world of photography to know that this camera is easily worth $1000 if it puts together the things that you need. An E-P3 with built-in VF-2, E-5 weather sealing, and E-5 control dials is all I need to know to convince me that this camera fills an empty niche in my world.

It's like the original release of the E-P1 Digital PEN... no camera of its time could provide the image quality of a Four-Thirds DSLR in the compact size of a Canon G10. To me that was a no-brainer. The Image Quality with the new Trupic V processor was said to be even better than that of my E-3. Well, as long as it was as good, that's all that matters as there was no such thing as E-3 quality out of that size of camera. Same deal here... it doesn't have to blow the GH2 out of the water, it just needs to provide what we don't have - a weather-sealed PEN-style body with built-in EVF and a full set of controls to rival a pro-grade DSLR. I don't need the camera in my hand to know that's what it is.

• Like Like x 5
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    People made the same arguments about the GH2 when it first came out, and the E-P3, and the various DSLRs (D700, D7000, 5DII, D800, 7D, etc. etc. etc. etc.), Leica M9, you name it. If you follow a company, and you know what they're capable of, you just take the leap. Right now, everyone that pre-ordered those various wonderful cameras is out there enjoying it, and their experiences plus every review is backing up their decision. Meanwhile, the guys on the sidelines that want the camera, but don't want to be early adopters, are sitting around worrying and reading instead of enjoying their gear. Even if there is some kind of issue, like the 5D Mk III's LCD bleed, it only affects photos in a very specific situation, so just avoid shooting like that and when you have two weeks of downtime, send your camera in to be repaired.

If my student loans were paid off, I would have zero qualms about plunking down the preorder price on a GH3 or Nikon D400 without thinking twice. They're going to be great cameras; I don't need other people using the cameras for months to tell me that. It is very obvious what the E-M5 is: a G3-sized body with many on-body controls and superior image quality to the E-P3. If you want it, buy it. My father spends all of his time reading and researching every little detail before taking the plunge, and he wastes a colossal amount of time. It's important to be educated, but at some point you just have to take the plunge. And, as everyone else mentioned, if it ends up being a letdown, just return it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Ehhh ... Fu .. hmmm ... ji!!

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    So far there's no reason to think any M4/3 body or lens that comes out would be crap. Even the cheapest ones are up to a certain standard and produce great images. When the very first one is released that feels and works like garbage, it's worth worrying about whether you should preorder in the future if you want to be one of the first to have it or are just really excited.

That being said, I usually don't preorder things. I prefer to see and handle camera bodies (and mobile phones) in person before buying. How a camera feels and handles can make or break a decision.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had a Oly E-P1 and an Oly E-P3, so moving up to the E-M5 was mostly a function of evaluating the incremental features. I knew it would be a step up, and not a big risk. It was mostly a question of cost vs benefit, and I have a pretty reasonable case to want both EVF and weather sealing, since I like to carry a camera while hiking.

Of course, once I'd decided to buy, there's little reason to wait, so why not preorder and get it a few weeks sooner? I should be taking pics with my new camera this weekend, rather than missing out on it's benefits over the next couple weekends.

14. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    I preorded it , and a bunch of lenses, I have RMA's for all of the lenses,
    great return policies in america, not sure about other parts of the world, but i probably wouldn't of been able to do it in china.

Just ordered the fuji xp1 sight unseen, b/c of the great return policy of amazon.
    if i can't live with the quirks ill send it back for an em-5.

15. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    The thing I find a bit amusing about all this - and it happens on well-know photo blog sites as well - is the "sudden realization" that the camera we had that was taking great shots now somehow isn't even worth taking outside just because a new one came out. It is a little weird that we do stuff like that, isn't it?

FWIW I can't see any on-screen difference between shots of the same subject from my 6 MP Nikon D100 taken 10 years ago and shots taken with my 16MP Nikon D7000 a month ago.

• Like Like x 1
  16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I see no on-screen difference between my GF1 and my GH2 as far as IQ is concerned (which actually makes me very happy), but my low-angle ultrawides and bright outdoor compositions have become far better since being able to actually see what I'm doing using the EVF and articulating screen of my GH2 :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I didn't pre-order, and I'm not the target audience for it anyhow, but a product with pent-up demand and meets the needs of many is really good timing and execution. You have a large user base of m43 users yearning for a higher performance body with built in EVF, and Oly is able to deliver at near the peak of demand.

By comparison, I suspect no one will pre-order a GF5.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The more real concern IMO is a design fault or flaw, particularly with parts that have seen significant changes, like the E-3's AF system or the Pentax K-r's mirror-induced blur.

So far most of the flaws seem to be minor, so hopefully we won't have anything to worry about, but that is the price of ordering early.

DH

19. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    there was an even stronger frenzy with the announcement of the canon G1X. in fact, months after it was released, it's still usually the subject of half or more of the canon threads on dpreview.

i have never pre-ordered a camera, although i admit that what to me is REALLY great specs, manageable size and a REALLY low pre-order price could convince me to do so. and that's partly due to the wonderful return policies at places where i buy.

20. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    The pre-release buzz and early reviews are great.

The camera has great features and looks very cool, and no, I'm not ashamed to admit that.

It's exactly what I'm looking for to replace all my Canon gear that I'm tired of lugging around.

If I don't like it, I'll send it back to Amazon for a full refund.

Plus, it will be like Christmas morning when I was ten years old when the UPS truck pulls up. Oh boy.... It will be just good old fashioned fun.

I've bought virtually all of my gear sight unseen and I've rarely been disappointed. Research, research, research....

Plus, the cost of the body is really no big deal. It's the lenses that are the real killers....

I've been going back and forth on cancelling my order for the EM-5 but I think I've convinced myself to wait it out. Now, where the hell is that big brown truck?

• Like Like x 3