1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Camera for IR Conversion

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mifune13, May 28, 2016.

1. Mifune13

Mifune13 New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm looking to purchase a camera to have converted specifically for B&W IR shooting (maybe color).

I have a GH4 that I use a metabones and Canon FD lenses with, so anything with and MFT mount would work. I would just purchase another GH4 but budget is an issue.

I was looking at the GH3 and several Olympus cameras (OMD-EM10, and a used EM-1).

Does anyone have any experience with these cameras converted for IR? If not, does anyone recommend any of the following cameras or any other?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Does it need to be a brand new camera?

Many of us who do this often use an older camera we already have that doesn't get much use anymore for normal shooting. Or we specifically go out and buy a used older model for conversion. My current IR camera is an Oly E-P2 which is a 12MP model that came out sometime ago. Paid about $100 for it about a year ago and then another $100-ish to get it converted. I am happy with it.

I think a lot of the features people look for in new cameras for their normal shooting don't often apply for IR shooting. For example, you don't need super high ISO since IR shooting is almost always done during daylight. Although there are some newer features that might be fun to try with an IR camera such as in camera HDR shooting.

Anyway, back to your question... I have not seen any reports of any models being particularly better or worse at IR shooting that the rest, so I think which ever model you settle with will work fine. Usually the only complaints I see are with specific lenses giving a "hot spot" in the middle of the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    I had a new EM5ii converted to IR by Lifepixel. It's the 5th body that they converted for me. The others were not new when I had them converted, but they all worked very well. The EM5ii is my favorite for IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    +1
    I got a pre-converted camera which ended up being significantly cheaper than getting a camera & paying for it's conversion.
    I personally find an EVF a great advantage as most IR shots are taken in bright sunshine where the rear screen is less easily seen. Apart from that I can't think of any camera features useful for IR that aren't supported by all ยต4/3 bodies.

Regarding hot-spots I've recently heard rumors of an antireflection coating being used in the camera that supposedly reduces hot spots. Might be worth investigating - see Amazing New AR Coated IR Filters from KolariVision.com

• Like Like x 1