New Budget PC Build UK Market.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gyles, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to invest some money into a new PC purely for photo work. Looking to take my hobby up a notch and get serious about PP. Don't really want to set a budget, but I can spend what I need to. So given a clean sheet what would you suggest for a good value budget build for a novice in the UK. I'm looking for a complete system, happy to buy components, bundles, bare units or a RTR system.

Thanks.

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    CPU: i5-4xxx
    Cooler: £20-£30 after market one (quieter than stock)
    Mobo: Z87 based
    Memory: 16G
    Disk 1: 120/128G SSD boot drive
    Disk 2: depends how much storage you want, but I use an SSD for my main disk, and also have a 1TB HDD to put stuff on I don't use often.
    PSU: Something from the Corsair range (do NOT skimp on PSU)
    Graphics: Use the onboard graphics of the Intel chip for photo work (assuming the mobo has the connections you need).
    Case: That's personal opinion, but Fractal Design do great cases
    O/S: Your choice of Win 7 vs Win 8
    Monitor(s): Dell U2xxx series (I run 2 x 2410s and a 2711, but you will need a separate graphics card if you want to run 3 monitors properly!).

If you are interested in overclocking, get a K suffixed part (i.e. i5-4xxxK) and a better heatsink.

i5 vs i7: only worth it if you are going to be encoding a lot of video. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

IMPORTANT: HAVE A BACKUP STRATEGY

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Can't stress that enough. I have an IcyBox caddy that takes 3.5" SATA drives. Drives can be hot plugged. I have two large (1TB) backup drives - one that stays in the house and the other that goes to the office.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Was thinking of using an online backup.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy a bog-standard i5 desktop from anywhere : always looking for decent value.

Buy a BIG SCREEN that got good reviews from the forums. Buy two if you're serious about editing.

For backup I just plug in one of various external drives. Cheap and simple is good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    I'm a little slow here.....two monitors? How and why?

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Gyles, most modern graphics cards have at least two outputs and thus the computer can use two monitors active at one time.
    For image editing this is brilliant because you can view full-screen on one monitor while doing other stuff on the second monitor, well there are loads of ways to do it. It's just great.
    Nowadays almost every computer is fast enough to deal with two monitors without any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    With 2 monitors and software like lightroom you can have the thumbnails on one monitor and a large preview on the other, its a superb way of working. Though if money is a concern you can get away with any working screen for your second screen. With normal browsing you can have an email window or a video running on one whilst you work or read on the other. Once you go dual monitor it is very hard to go back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Up until now I've only really used a pc for browsing, word, iPod. I have an acer netbook which is dual boot win 7 hp and Linux Peppermint. Use it for the net at home and travel. Also I have an acer revo which will soon be hooked up to my tv running XBMC.

I have a cheap LCD monitor I could use for my 2nd. I'll look into a 24-27" Dell. But as for pc specs......its gibberish to me. Give me a 2 or 4 stoke bike to work on and I'm happy.

10. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    aaarrggghhhh....my head hurts now.

I'd be grateful if you wouldn't mind casting your eyes over this.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/109150084/intel-haswell-i5-32ghz-8gb-15tb-wi-fi-dvd-rw-hdmi-w7.html

It's a fairly low end i5 system, but it's cheap comes with win7 64bit. The company is only 2 miles from my parents and its prebuilt. I could negotiate with the guy to up certain specs, I could add say and extra 4gb ram and a 128gb sdd primary drive.

or I could throw together something myself such as

Adata SX900 2.5 inch 128GB SATA III Internal SSD £85

Crucial BLE2CP8G3D1869DE1TX0CEU 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite £108

MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate - socket 1150 - chipset Z87 - ATX £88

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core £175

LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x SATA Half Height Internal DVDRW Drive £13

Xfx Pro 550w Power Supply Unit £56

Antec Three Hundred Two Midi Tower Case £55

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive £47

Total £527 no os. prices from Amazon Uk, just thrown together might better cheaper better options.

Then add on Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor £220

11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    It's a budget system, so has budget components (case, PSU). Not a problem in itself, but only you can judge whether you will be happy with that. The other thing is that the motherboard has two memory sockets (the x1 boards tend to have 2 sockets, the x7 boards tend to have 4) which means if you want to upgrade memory, you will have to replace what is in there. With a 4 socket board, you can normally just add it. You should also check if that price is including or excluding VAT - it seems awfully cheap.

The other place to look for pre-built is the Dell outlet.

BTW: you need an addon cooler with your spec. if you want to overclock (i.e. -K part). If not, save some money and get a non-K part. Also, http://www.ebuyer.com (UK based) is generally cheaper than Amazon for PC parts

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    From what you've said Gyles I wouldn't recommend throwing anything together, and as Arad just explained : get a cheaper non-K i5 because you can stick with the stock intel cooler as it won't be overclocked.

That local shop computer sounds fine anyway ... go 'round they might throw something in with the deal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    I hate buying puters.

Been googling this and that and found these guys

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/cheap-des...tel-home/office-pcs/alpha-laser/prod_374.html

Appear to have some decent machines and bundles (some overclocked) for the money. Plenty of upgrade options too.

Anyone had dealings with them?

EDIT - Going back to my original list, I could use this bundle http://www.palicomp.co.uk/intel-amd...mbo/overclocked-predator-bundle/prod_372.html with the other components and Dell monitor for about £800. I can get one of the I.T. bods at work the "assemble" it. No os though.

14. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Thanks for your advice guys. I've just pullede the trigger on this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FSDOBJA/ref=nosim

Certainly not he best, but a sound deal I think. It'll get me started, I'll pop in a 120gb ssd, which leaves me cash for a decent monitor, lightroom 5 and external storage. I am just starting out in editing, so could be sometime before I hit the limits of this machine.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Excellent price, that'll do nicely.

16. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    I think so as a starter machine. Looking for a decent 24" monitor that won't break the bank either. I have an old cheap 19" LCD to use as well.

17. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Nice machine & price. No wonder these have been selling quickly.

Personally I'd go without the SSD partly due to price vs. capacity & performance partly other reasons (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/385498/avoid-ssds-for-important-files-says-data-recovery-firm) and put the money towards a better monitor (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/375823/dell-ultrasharp-u2412m).

Add a low end graphics card in the future and use the old 19" monitor as a second screen (see alex66's post above). Two monitors really speed up LR workflow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Depending on motherboard, you may well be able to use the mobo out for both screens. Will probably be fine for office/photography work where the GPU does no processing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Any basic/budget graphics card recommendations? This has been suggested VTX3D 1GB RADEON HD 6450 DDR3 SILENT LP VX6450 1GBK3HV2

Or XFX HD6450 Graphics Card PCI-e 1 GB GDDR3 Memory Dual DVI

20. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    You don't need one if the motherboard can support the monitors you want (HDMI/DVI-D preferred method of connection).

• Like Like x 1