New BSI stills sensor on the way?

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A new CPU is a must and that should reduce the HHHR processing time as well (hopefully significantly - to a whole new level).

Another option Olympus could add is to allow the user to delay processing the image. That way you could take however many HHHR images you need without any delay between and then have it do all the post-processing in bulk when you put the camera back in your bag.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It would help get there but I doubt it will make a significant enough change. HHHR is 16 images in sequence unless the shutter speed is incredibly fast (over 1/2000 of a second) which means very bright light the total exposure is still quite slow that BSI and read-out will not change much in the shooting style at the shutter button press. Where it would change is after the shutter button is pressed, a fast readout and through-put means a lot shorter processing time, it could make shooting it on a more dependable base instead of having to wait 10 seconds or more for each shot. I use HHHR as a last resort if there is even a very slow-moving/movement subject and only after I make sure I got my single shots I wanted before, to allow myself to experiment with HHHR. Things might change if HHHR has faster processing and reaction time after the shutter action.
Stacking time has nothing to do with the sensor - it’s a CPU limitation, so no matter how fast the readout time on the new sensor is, it won’t improve the work after the shutter is pressed.

But, on the current HHHR implementation, the time to capture the frames is too slow too. The new sensor should improve that - which will help enormously with subject movement. I do a lot of landscapes, and HHHR is a great technique for reducing shadow noise, but if there more than even a little wind, foliage and tree branches turn into ugly multiple ghosted images so I don’t use it as much as I’d like.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Another option Olympus could add is to allow the user to delay processing the image. That way you could take however many HHHR images you need without any delay between and then have it do all the post-processing in bulk when you put the camera back in your bag.
If only they had a way to buffer the capture data in say, a DRAM stack. Of wait… ;)
*fingers crossed

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom