New body or two more lenses?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by VinVin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma right now... my newest m4/3 body is an e-p3. I'm considering getting the Pen F but at the same time for almost the same price I can get the olympus 25mm and 12 mm... I really don't know what to do...

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    What do you need more, the other focal lengths or an updated body?
    As much as I like the PEN-F, don't rule out the EM5Mk2.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If it has to be a choice of one or the other, then I would go with the lenses. They will stay with you through many bodies. If you bought a new body right now, you will still use your existing lenses, so while you would realize some new features with your new camera, you would still have to shoot through the same lenses. Where as with new lenses, you get new lenses!!! ;) And when you finally save up enough later to get that new body, you can STILL use those new lenses. Where as your E-P1 and E-P3 will likely be relegated nearly permanently to the junk drawer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I would look at something like the E-M5 II or E-P5 for less than the Pen-F, and then see how much you have left to spend on a lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Hard to tell you what's best for you Kevin, but if I were in your shoes I would upgrade the body to something less expensive than the F and still have cash left over for glass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. king_solom0n

king_solom0n Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    How about a new body (Em-10 II or Em-5 II) and one new lens. If you don't mind used or grey market, you can get a Em-1 and 12-40 f2.8 for around the price of a new Pen-F.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That new GX85 that was just announced seems like a nice alternative to the Pen F and it's cheaper enough that you could add the 25mm f1.8 with the savings.

Seems like you have a lot of lenses in your signature, though. Do you use all of them?

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm excited for the GX85, but even staying within the Olympus fold you have the EM10 II, which is really nice and affordable. The Pen F is a sweet piece of gear, but I can't see springing for it right now unless it's reasonably comfortably within your pocketbook range. 1200 bones is a big commitment.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep. It's a helluva price to pay for being stylish.

10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Though lenses is the right answer in majority of cases, i'd see if there's something that you're missing with your current body, and then update the body.

11. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Well originally a while back I made a post about possibly going straight into the Fuji X line, but seeing as I don't think that I'll be able to break even and buy the XPro2 with maybe one prime and one zoom after selling my m4/3 stuff I figure I will give it another try. I went on a trip to Hong Kong, Japan, and Korea about a month ago for about one and a half months and I only brought my X100T and M6 with me and I realized I loved looking through a vf as opposed to the screen.

When I brought up this issue in my previous post I was told that I should give the newer m4/3 bodies a try before I make that decision to jump systems. I never much liked the OMD perhaps because it looks too much like the OM SLR's, personal preference makes it so panasonic is out of the question for me, so when I saw the Pen F in Hong Kong I figured maybe that's the step I should take. It gives me the VF (albeit I really do love the Fuji hybrid VF much more than the EVF), in my opinions it's a lot sleeker than the OMD (just my opinion, I am not a big fan of the evf hump), and there's a deal where if I trade in a camera I get $150 off, I asked and they said they will take my E-P1.

But then I think to myself, as others have already said, a lens will go with you long after the body leaves... at the same time isn't my E-P3 quite a bit dated at this point?

12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    See, the thing is, originally I was thinking of getting the Fuji X-Pro2 with a prime. That alone will be around 2000 and tax in Canada, so the Pen F is actually allowing me to not spend as much as I was originally planning.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    to the op this and all the other suggestions of a better body an an ep3 without splashing bucks on nostalgia seem wise.

the PenF to me brings little to the table that an E-M5ii would not bring and costs a lot more to bring it.

decades ago I lusted after a leica M series, then I realised my OM1 was as com pace and brought many other benefits to the photographic table as well as costing much less.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Can I say neither? My anti GAS strategy is this: if I have to ask I do not really need it, or the offer is not good enough, etc. If you are so confused about this purchase, a body vs 2 lenses, I think you need to wait more.

Why exactly do you need these things? What's the problem you are trying to solve? Dynamic range? Low light shooting? Big prints?

EDIT: the more lenses you gather the more likely become to leave most of them at home.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Generally I think that getting a lens is better than getting a new body, but I do think that your E-P3 is getting kind of dated (I mean, they DO improve the technology). I agree with others who have advised getting a cheaper body than the Pen F (e.g. E-M5II or E-M10II) plus one new lens.

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    A lens will only stay with you if you stay in that system. If you do end up leaving the system, it won't do you much good.

You say you want a RF body with an EVF, but don't like Panasonic. You back yourself in to a pretty tiny corner by doing so, leaving the Pen-F as the only option (I'm sure someone will say the E-P5 with the VF-4, but at that point just buy an E-M5 II). It should be noted that the EVF in the Pen-F has a much smaller magnification than the gigantic one in the E-M5 II. The EVF in the M5 II and M1 really makes the camera a joy to use. Additionally, the only think you really "lose" feature wise going from the Pen-F to the E-M5 II is the 20MP sensor, which offers no real improvement over the one in the E-M5 II with the exception of a very marginal resolution bump. There's also the tilt vs. flip LCD, but that's not an issue for me, as I own cameras that have both.

If you really want a RF body with an E-VF, the Fuji system may be the one for you. Have you looked at an X-E2? Sure, it doesn't have the hybrid VF, but it's substantially cheaper than the X-Pro2, which would allow you to pick up an extra lens or two.

17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It still works right? So the question is with a new body, will your photography somehow change or improve simply by changing the body? Or put another way, in what way will your photos look different than they do now?

And that is meant as a serious question. For example if you had a body whose top ISO was 1600 and really only 800 was barely usable then getting a new body that would allow you to shoot at a higher ISO with no additional (or less) noise is an improvement. Or having built in HDR mode that you will use a lot is an improvement. Or because you shoot birds at 500mm all the time, going from 2 or 3 axis IS to 5 is an improvement. BUT, if you are looking to upgrade to a new body simply because you perceive your current body as "old" without any specific needs that are not being met, then I come back around to my question of how will your photography be different with a new body over how you shoot with your current body?

• Like Like x 1
  18. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    The E-P3 is dated. The E-P5 would be a great upgrade without spending a ton on the latest. Then spend the extra money you save on a lens.

The E-P5 is similar to your E-P3 but likely better in every way. Faster interface (your E-P3 will feel ancient after using an E-P5), the newer sensor, Wifi, better control dials, built in flash, great rear screen, 1/8000th shutter, 0s anti shutter shock settings, etc...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, I think that the E-P3 has enough limitations that a new body that effectively improves all your lenses can be sensible. When I went from my GX1 to my GX7 I wasn't really doing it for image quality (though the giant leap in dynamic range has become very important to me), but because of the EVF, dual command dials, tilting LCD (wish it was articulated, but hey), silent shutter, focus peaking, and IBIS. Those were big usability upgrades and made the camera feel a lot more complete and uncompromising. Going from an E-P3 would, in many ways, be an even larger jump than my GX1, since it also has the older sensor to add to its list of limitations.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If you're prepared to shell out a lot, then maybe just go with your heart and get the Pen F. It's a beautifully made and great feeling camera. However, I'd hold out till next month and see what Panasonic's new offering shapes up to be.

• Like Like x 1