New body or old lens??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Neftun, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Hi everyone:)

If you haven't spent the last few weeks in a cave, you know the em1 is coming. An enticing camera imo. I am saving up some cash, and by selling my em5 I should be able to afford it. But there is one lens I've wanted for some time now; the om zuiko 100mm f2 ed. I could
    afford one with the saved up cash. Only worry is: Will it behave similarly to my om zuiko 90mm f2 macro?

Which product would you find makes the most difference? I should mention that my previous camera was a D300, and I miss some of the buttonlayout and ergonomy of it, my em5 is beautifully compact, but I miss the feel of pro gear in the hand...

Patrick K

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unless you need better C-AF to shoot action, I wouldn't expect the EM-1 to make a very significant difference in the quality of your photographs. It appears to be a very nice camera indeed, but is there something your EM-5 can't do today that is preventing you from getting the images you want?

If the answer to that question is yes, will the EM-1 to fix that?

Things like a better EVF, a more comfortable grip, etc., are certainly nice, but they won't directly make better photographs. A new lens, OTOH, that offers a focal length you don't currently have, or a faster aperture that will let you shoot in lower light, or get shallower DOF, can actually let you get photographs you can't get now.

But if you already have a 90mm f/2, what do you expect the 100 f/2 to do for you that you can't do now? It strikes me that neither the new body nor the new lens is really going to give you much that you don't already have.

If it were me, I'd use the money on a new lens that gave me something I didn't already have. A longer tele, or wide, or a fast normal. I don't know what you like to shoot, or what lenses you already have, so I can't suggest anything specific, except not to spend money on equipment that basically duplicates what you already have.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I'm with Meyer on this. Have you considered getting a grip for the E-M5? Could make it feel more 'pro'.

Note - Metabones Speedbooster for OM lenses is due shortly. That would be an interesting addition to your collection, if you have multiple OM lenses besides the om zuiko 90mm f2 macro (becomes ~63mm f1.4 effective) you mentioned.

4. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Good points, thanks.

The 100mmf2 seems interesting as it has a different rendering than the 90 macro, supposedly. The 90 is truly excellent, but a little, dunno, analytical perhaps? Like looking into a microscope, perfect but a bit boring at times.

A have the grip for the em5, and to be honest, do not care much for it. It remains in the bag mostly. The em5 makes most sense to me naked with the 45f1,8 mounted. I have a halfcase mounted though, and extended the grip on that with silicone rubber, making it quite ergonomical.

My main issue with the em5 is when using it with these old, lovely but heavy lenses like the 90 or an 180f2.8. It seems the body is not made for the strain.

And mf would be easier I think, with the better viewfinder. Anyone who has used the vf4 with shallow dof legacy lenses?

Patrick K

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I use 180mm f2.8 and 300mm f4.5 on a PM2. When I shoot, I cradle the lenses in my left hand which is really holding the whole system weight. The right hand is there for pressing the shutter and switch magnification on.

No idea on the vf4 (vf2 here), but I think I heard someone state that you no longer needed to use magnification for critical focus. The clarity of the evf was such that focus just snapped in and out of the view.