New Body or Lenses...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chrism_scotland, Feb 5, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    In a bit of a quandry really, been looking at some of the cracking images being taken with the G3 and GX1 and been wondering whether it might be time to trade up from my Olympus EP2. I know thats its sensor is lacking v the newer Panasonic bodies now.

However I'm also pondering whether I might be better to invest in lenses, so far I've been using mainly legacy glass with only the Oly 17mm as a native lens.

I really fancy the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and either the Oly 45mm or Panasonic 14mm, do you think I'd be better investing in glass to go with my EP2 and then maybe upgrading later in the year?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the Leica 25mm/1.4 Summilux or the m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8. They will improve your capabilities and image quality far better than a new body! I wouldn't bother with the Lumix 14mm/2.5 when you already have the m.Zuiko 17mm/2.8. Those lenses are too similar.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I second Ned's response ^^

or you can wait and see for what the new Oly body can bring in the table...

:biggrin:

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I was posing this question to myself when the EPL2 came out. I figured different lenses would make a much bigger difference to what I could do than a new body, and that's where any money outlay should go.
    I also figured that one day there would be a new body that made a compelling reason to upgrade. It seems that day may not be so far off now - the OMD (EM5) may stay too expensive for me, but I hope the innards will be put in a cheaper body at some point.

5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Get the lenses! I shoot with the E-P3, with its supposedly "ageing" sensor, and wouldn't even know that it's ageing if I hadn't read it online. Buy a new body only if you want other improvements than just newer sensor (faster AF, etc). If you're happy with the speed and performance of the E-P2, then spend your money on lenses.

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Buy the Glass.. the PL 25/1.4 and/or both the 45/1.8 will make your current body feel and look like new.. I have both the PL25 and the Oly 45 and no matter what body I put them on, the results are AWESOME..:smile:

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Invest in glass, as it holds it value and is useable with all and any m43 body(which is maybe current for a year if your lucky). PL25 1.4 and Oly 45 1.8 are both stellar lenses, and will be appreciated with any body. I have an E-P2 and a E-P3, neither is half as impressive as the glass i mount to them, and honestly I can"t say the E-P3 produces nicer shots than the E-P2 80% of the time. Your experience may differ depending on your shooting style.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I don't have much to add to what've already been said, but just that m4/3 sensor technology is still evolving, and in 6-month's time, maybe a new sensor will come out that can take m4/3 to an even higher level DR-wise. However, you are not going to find m4/3 lenses that are much better than the PL25 and the Oly 45. So, get the lenses...

9. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I will get lens first. New body will be made twice a year and in fact, all technology industries have had technology plans for maybe 2-4 years a head. So.. keep calm and buy lenses :biggrin:. The reason of this because lenses are not easily developed.

Of course, on the other hand, new bodies is very...very...interesting to be had lol. I'm drooling for EM-5. Maybe a second hand EM-5 *gulp*

10. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks folks, I think your right I'd be better to invest in glass and then either pickup a G3 later in the year (fairly cheap even now)
    Or hopefully a new EP4 with the 16mp sensor.

I'm hoping to go for the 25mm first £400 seems really good, and the 45mm second.

I will give the 14mm a miss, ideally for Wide Angle I'd prefer to wait and purchase the Panasonic 7-14 as I really loved using an UWA Sigma 10-20 before!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choices, all around! :thumbup:

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Looks like you already made the decision. Just wanted to chime in and say I support it - I'm still extremely happy with my first-generation GF1 and came to the same conclusion a few months ago when I was trying to make the same decision. I ended up getting the 7-14mm and 45mm f/2.8 macro instead of a GX1 or G3, and don't regret it. The only reason I'm looking at a new body now is because I'd like an articulating screen and eyepiece for the 7-14, but I still intend to keep the 20mm on the GF1 at all times and use it as a second body.

13. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Final body related query, which of the Pen's offer either a dedicated or user programmable button to get straight to the MF Zoom? Its a pain on the EP2 having to flick through screens to get to it

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any PEN made after the E-P2 has that. That includes the E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, E-PL3, and E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Ned, thats ironic!!!! I'm thinking I might pickup a cheap EPL1/EPL2 just for my manual glass as that single thing really bugs me!

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Glass first.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Go for the E-PL2 if you do that. Coming from an E-P2 you'll miss the controls too much if you get an E-PL1. Especially if you're using it with manual glass, you'll really want the E-PL2's LCD screen with double the screen resolution. The E-PL1 has the worst screen of any PEN, same resolution as your E-P2 but smaller. The E-PL2's is as large as your E-P2 but with twice the resolution. If you're not using the VF-2 or VF-3, you'll need this for manual focusing. If you are using the viewfinders, it's nice to have the option of LCD when eye-level is not convenient. Another thing you'll also like from the E-PL2 is the nice contoured rubber grip. This will help you hold those heavier manual lenses which I'm sure you have some of.

18. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks again Ned, will only pick one up if I see any second hand ones going, I've noticed a lot of them on UK classifieds as folk upgrade to G3/EP3's, 25mm getting ordered this week!

19. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    HI
    Have you a link where its for sale at £400 please
    Ta
    John

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I generally answer questions like this with a question: How are the limitations of your current camera making it harder for you to get the images you want to get?

If your answer is that you think the sensor in a newer camera will make your pictures better, then my answer is "I doubt it." Except maybe at high-ISO, your EP2 is capable of very good IQ. Is the newer Panasonic sensor better? Yes, but it's mostly differences at the extremes. Dim light / high ISO, very large prints or heavy cropping. For more typical uses, I think you'd be very hard pressed to tell which camera took which picture, assuming both images are properly focused and exposed.

If you're not happy with the quality of the images you're getting, tell us why. Maybe we can offer some suggestions.