New body and kit lens or different body and better lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    If I get the g3 I get the kit lens. If I get a "lower" body, or older one, I get a better lens, maybe the panasonic 1.7 or something else.

I am using it for family, portraits, general photography.

If this were a DSLR I would opt for the latter, the lower body better lens, but with the :43: I'm not sure because the technology seems to change so quick with the body.

Thanks for input.
  2. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    The technology of the electronics will continue to change every year or so (Moore's law). Optics improve more gradually. Look at all the beautiful images obtained from legacy lenses in the threads on this site. When you get a good feel for what the equipment can do, you can get great images from even very old optics.

If I recall correctly from your previous posts, you do not yet have a m4/3 or DSLR. My suggestion would be to buy an affordable body, a good lens, and build your system from there as you learn what you like to do with it.

A first or second gen body, even used, is an affordable way to get started. Then more money is available for good optics. When you find your limits with that body, you will be ready to move up to the newest gadget, which will be technologically better than what we have right this minute.

The technology is so good, even for older m4/3 devices, you will be more limited by your experience than by the technology in the beginning.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Amen to that!

I own a DSLR, got a little bit caught up with the gear. Luckily, my kids made me realize just how bulky eveything was, and it was only with the :43: that I realized Steve's point.
  4. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Yeah, I get that. I believe you. But Olympus, for example, is coming out with a new body every six months or something like that. That is body technology that is changing a lot quicker than DSLR technology. It's not like picking between the 40D and the 50D of Canon with a good lens.

I try not to get hung up on gear but it's very difficult not to. I've just been down the kit lens route and am always disappointed. This time I want a good lens. Just hung up on tech changing so quick in the m4/3 and it does seem to be quicker than other cameras.

I appreciate the answers, BTW. Thanks.

edit: so for me it is G3 and kit lens or something, I don't know what and maybe the panasonic 20 1.7 or something else. No manual lenses though.
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Panasonic has kicked out more bodies in less time, the worst being gf2 to gf3. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Olympus stands behind their work a little more so than panny. The joke is if you preorder a panny by the time you get it, they have announced the next generation. Not that they don't make nice products, but they do seem to treat cameras like toasters, same thing but now with 6 slices. I'm guessing the g3 is labeled just with a g so that they don't run out of numbers or space to include them on the camera. The new g34586745.

Pick a body that will let you grow and improve along with it's capabilities, and if you keep it then you can change up Lens(es) depending on your style, taste, etc...or do the same with a body, if you buy one that has been out for a while you get the knowledge of those who have already been using it. Or get new if you want to tinker and figure out more on your own. I will guarantee one thing, the sooner you pick, the sooner you'll start enjoying the photography aspect versus the gear head disease.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You'll never know how good the system is until you try it with a decent lens.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Spare a thought for those of us who are now struggling terribly with our outdated, first generation E-P1s, G1s, etc. :wink:
  8. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009

I am tempted to buy a new lens for my G1, the 25mm 1.4 looks to be the lens of choice.

The improvements given by each new camera are not quantum leap enough to entice me to upgrade, the G1 still delivers for me.
  9. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    It's exactly the same with any digital camera, DSLR or not.
  10. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Agreed. The sharpness of the original model was impressive. The GH1 soon lost some in JPG, in order to tame noise.
    Gimme tight sharp grain not interpolated muck-up!
    I lived with Tri-X at ASA 320 most of my life--Tri-X HC-110 one-shot mean grain not D-76 soft edges. Now I should survive a bit of shadow noise with colour ISO 800!
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I find the biggest improvement to the IQ of my camera (aside from improving my skill) is a lens. FWIW...I don't think that Olympus and Panasonic bodies have really changed that significantly since their introduction. New features yes but dramatic improvement in IQ...not really. There have been some nice upgrades and cool new features but if you were to look at prints made from an E-P1 all the way to a G3 I wonder how easy it would be to tell them apart. I don't think I could do it.
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Same thing seemed to happen from the E-510 to the E-3. My E-3 images were never as sharp, which is a shame because it was the best body build ever.

I've always hated that trend of softening images in their insane attempts to control noise unnecessarily. That's why I loved the direction they moved to in the E-5 imaging technology.
  13. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    They all change but they do not change at the same rate. It's like they forgot stuff of something with the m4/3 bodies. It's much quicker than say Canon or Nikon.
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The shortest model cycle for a Micro Four Thirds camera before being directly replaced was the E-P1, and even then the E-P2 was a mild refresh rather than a new camera. Otherwise the model cycles have all been at least a year or more. At the moment it may seem like model cycles have shortened but both manufacturers are now tinkering with where each model is positioned. For instance, the GF3 will follow the GF2 by about six months but does not directly replace it. The E-PL2 however may end up having a short model cycle, but we won't know how Olympus intends to arrange their new models (or indeed keep the E-PL2 in production) until near the end of the month.
  15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    The difference between the two companies that I see is Panasonic trying to push the envelope, Olympus trying to perfect it.

Panasonic takes the Sony approach - lets put as much out there, as often as possible, and see what does well. If you've got the money, it works.

Olympus take their time and truly craft their products - the camera designs hit the nail on the head, and their lens line, though more limited, is unique and I think more appropriate to the compact aesthetic of m4/3.

I think the upcoming announced cameras from Olympus will be a generational leap, and a true standout, just like the e-p1 was when it was released. That they appear to be releasing all 3 at once tells me they are taking a balanced approach and truly believe there is a market for each body type, and I think that is pretty exciting.

All that said, I just re-bought into m4/3 with a great deal on a used E-p2, VF2 and 17mm. I'll probably buy one of the new cameras as well (so my wife and I can use them at the same time) if they offer as much as rumors have indicated.
  16. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You've got to start somewhere. Think of all the photographs you're missing while you're waiting for the latest and greatest gear to come down the pike. Pick a camera and start shooting, it's how you learn what you'll need and want.