1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New BLOG: Why I switched to m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by noohoggin1, May 28, 2013.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
  2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
  3. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

Really need second part :)

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    yeah I might not be able to sleep waiting for it :biggrin::wink:

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    It's worse than waiting for the new season oh NCIS!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    We went the same way ;)

7. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Great stuff can't wait for part 2!

8. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
  9. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Love your writing and learning about your journey!
    Thanks for sharing :)

10. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Have you considered the Sony NEX system? It's getting there with the lens selections and already has two pancake lenses (including one for an effective 24mm equivalent). Now, it even has a Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS (which is an effective 15-27 focal length plus a constant aperture).

I bought into m4/3 almost two years ago and chose it over Sony NEX because of the lens selection difference. If I had to do it all over again, I would heavily consider building around the Sony NEX 7 or the upgraded version in its lineage. In fact, I am considering more and more to sell almost all of my m4/3 gear (Panny 20, 14-140; Oly 45, 9-18; and Samyang fisheye) in favor building around the Sony NEX 7 or its later version. I would only keep one m4/3 camera to match one holdover lens the Panny 100-300: I appreciate the effective focal length of 600mm in a small package.

Just my babbling soliloquy.

11. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm in the same boat as Tom, but I'm not a pro and my main camera is a 7D. I'm using my OMD more and more but don't have the money to expand my lens collection yet. I went with the Oly because of the in body vibration control, being almost 60 I need every advantage I can get! I love my Canon and I doubt I ever get out of the DSLR part of our hobby, but when I go out with my wife at least now she doesn't complain that I look like a tourist. Never have quite gotten that as all the tourists use their phones!

12. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Good points.
    I personally just prefer the look, feel, and menus of the Olympus line up.

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    My concern with Sony's system is pricing around its premium lenses. That 35mm-e Zeiss is just too expensive. Sorry for being off topic.

14. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Ranxoren: thank you!

Hunyuan7: I have considered it along with Fuji. Ultimately I went with Oly for the selection (at the time), plus the weathersealing and additional battery grip which meant a lot to me.

fsuscotphoto: True, nowadays tourists use phones LOL! :D How do you like your 7D? Does your experience with it mirror mine, or did I just get a really bad lemon with it?

dav1dz: yes, you do pay a dear price for the Zeiss glass..! :(

15. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I love my 7D! It is the best camera I've ever had. I really think you got a lemon. I've never heard of such problems from someone like you, that is totally familiar with the camera. It's not like you moved up from a PowerShot to a DSLR the very first time.

Funny how people talk about smartphones killing off cameras. I'm not worried about that in the least. All you have to do is wander around Facebook looking at the pictures and know that there will always be a market for good cameras. Smartphones are today's Brownie or Instamatic. I can remember when EVERYONE had an Instamatic. No difference.

16. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    "I should probably tell you that during these months, I have had a love/hate (more hate) relationship with my Canon 7D. Either I had the worst copy of the 7D in the world, or I must be the dumbest camera operator in the world. Seeing as how I've been doing this for years, and the feeling that it really shouldn't be hard for someone of my experience to take a basic photo with the 7D, I'm gonna blame it on the camera." LOL

"So I made the decision to sell my backup camera and the Panasonic G3 to fund what I've always felt was the camera for me: the Olympus OMD-EM5. I had molested it a couple times at my local National Camera Exchange store, and it felt good in my hands." LOL

Dude love the posts... Good job on the write up...

I just switched from a Pentax system to an Oly system... Currently I have settled on the 3rd Gen bodies + an E-PL2... Saving my chips so when the OM-D and the other 5th gens come down in price to pick up a few of those... Yes a few.. I am the type that likes to have a dedicated lens to body... This is why I must wait.... :)

Keep up the good work on the blog... I will check out the videos later as I am at work and not sure if they are NSFW :)

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Counter point, their 50mm ƒ1.8 is below $300 USD :smile:

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent stuff Tom.

19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    That is true.

20. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Funny thing is that I've read online where others are also having similar problems with the 7D. I'm convinced that there are good and bad batches out there. Glad you seem to have gotten a good one. :)