1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new Apple Photos app - first impressions

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WendyK, Feb 5, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    No, not my own first impressions, but since the new developer beta release of Yosemite includes the new Apple Photos app, first impression reviews are starting to appear:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bye-bye-iphoto-apple-reboots-with-photos-for-mac-1423159635

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/photos-for-mac/

http://recode.net/2015/02/05/first-look-apples-photos-app-for-mac-os-x//

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7982735/apple-new-iphoto-announced-photos-app-for-mac

I'm off to read these reviews to see what it's like...

• Like Like x 2
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    From what I read, it looks like Photos is not a replacement for Lightroom or Aperture, but is a big step up from iPhoto.

3. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Yes, looks like I'll be at home in the new Photos for a while ;)
    It's more powerfull than iPhoto so it will be just fine for me, and I have a feeling the plugins will allow much more power features.

4. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    As an Aperture user, I wanted to read your suggestions but the only link that still available is the one from Wired...

5. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Aw, darn, sorry about that. I think I posted that from my iPad, which seems to have truncated the links. I have corrected them in the original post, I think.

6. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Anyone knows (or can test if you have the beta version) how it behaves with RAW+JPEG?
    iPhoto showed duplicates, Aperture "consolidated" the files, how does photos behave?
    Thanks.
    Pedro.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Aperture allows importing both raw and jpeg with either as master (both are still available) or as separate masters.

Fred

8. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    I never tried Aperture, but that is what I meant to say, you have the option to only see one picture (the master) for the RAW+JPEG pair, right?
    In iPhoto if you import both, you always have 2 pictures, you can't choose a master like aperture.

How does the new app behave?

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I read those articles as well and I think that it will be a nice step up for iPhoto users but that it will not be what Aperture users want. I could be wrong. I am an Aperture user and I am currently avoiding deciding what is next. :hide: I do have Adobe CC so I can move to LR easy enough but I have comfort level in Aperture. I will wait until the Photos app is released first though. There could be features that are not currently being shown in the beta reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I doubt there are any Apple Developers here who have access to it right now, and I haven't seen a lot of detail about it posted yet, but you might try the forums over at macrumors.com. Lots of developers there. As David notes above, this initial beta is not likely to be as full featured as the final product, so even if you get an answer to how RAW+JPG is handled in the beta version, it might be different on release.

11. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    where does one get this ap?

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The release date has not be set yet, probably in March - May.

One thing to keep in mind is that when Apple released FCPX it was derided as been featureless. However, since it's release Apple has steadily and continually added back features so that it is once again the choice of many videographers. The photos app may have the same product development cycle.

Post-Script: one feature that I don't like is that while Photos and Aperture can share a library changes made in one will not show up in the other. I hope that is changed soon. I was thinking of letting my wife use Photos and that I would continue to use Aperture for a while to see if the program is improved over time.

13. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Maybe you're right, just trying ;)

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    From what I am reading on Mac/Apple sites, Photos will almost useless to serious photographers. The editing capabilities are minimal compared to Aperture, LR, and others. And from what I read, no 3rd party plugin support.

So Photos will be OK for the target audience....folks who take quick snapshots and put them on social media. But for folks who what to do more.....move on to another package like LR, Capture One Pro....etc.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that wording is a little strong. I have seen a lot of great pictures produced on PS Elements, Snapseed, etc. Don't forget that is a Beta product and you are only reading articles from some journalist who signed documents limiting disclosure. The reason that you are not seeing any comments by developers is that they have all signed a non-disclosure agreement with Apple. I would like to see what features are included at launch and in the six months thereafter.

16. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    According the feedback so far then, if your workflow involves LR, CP1 DxO, nothing to see here, move on. You're not really going to reduce editing capabilities are you. I would guess there's a lot of Aperture users who'll be continuing to use it as long as humanly possible.

17. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    After my long thread on looking for a DAM and holding on desperately for more information about Photos, I can't decide how I feel. I don't need editing features as I use DxO and not willing to give that up, so I need something I can keyword and round trip to DxO for my editing. Maybe the DxO guys will be able to create an extension just like the awesome plugin they made for Lightroom? It appears Photos supports multiple libraries and referenced files so there is still hope, I just hope there is a way to hide photos or stack them like in Aperture, I really don't want to come back from an airshow with 5000 photos like last time and have to upload the whole lot and have to stare at them all on my iPad. I think hiding photos is supported but afraid the hidden photos will still have to be uploaded to icloud....

Photo Supreme is my other choice but it doesn't hook into iCloud Photos of course, which bums me out, it would be perfect otherwise....

I am living in hope and hoping to give Photos a gentle run with a subset of my photos, and cross fingers Apple adds extension support...

18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Use LR and DxO combo. With LR 6 we just might get content aware cloning/healing. Can you see Apple doing content aware anything in Photos?

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If Apple plans on maintaining pro level functionality, then yes, I could see that.

All Apple has said so far is it will replace both iPhoto and Aperture and take plug-ins.

Fred