1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New and very interesting m4/3 mount Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by okinana, Feb 20, 2012.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Nanoha 5X MFT Macro Lens.

Here is a short video:
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/36454803]Nanoha 5X MFT Macro Lens on Vimeo[/ame]

Here is the website:
    YASUHARA/NANOHA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    check out the detail on the tennis ball! Crazy. I thought none of the m4/3 cams could output live, but it sure looks like that is what he is doing. Does the GH2 allow that or is that some sort of hack?

3. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Luke,

It is very interesting. But it's a "niche lens" I think. Not everyone will find much use for it.

There was no mention of hacks whatsoever.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Oh, I definitely understand it's limited use. But for fans of photomacrography, I think it looks like a great tool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Definitely not a versatile macro lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    This guy used it to (and one other lens) to make this stunning video. So while it's use may be limited, there will always be someone who can figure out how to use it to great effect.
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/36766291]THAW on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's a built-in GH2 feature.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    As price indicates, this is definitely a specialized lens, not for the masses. They apparently have no distributors, which makes me wonder why? Is this just because of the dedicated niche this lens will appeal to, or are there other other considerations?

9. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wow, great video! You are definitely right. Someone, somewhere can put that lens to good use. Perfect example there.

:2thumbs:

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

HDMI out! Both of the GH models have it as does the new E-M5, other models might have it too. HDMI is uncompressed video and many of the HDSLR shooters don't actually record using the camera's internal system{they compress!}. Instead they hook up an external recorder onto the HDMI and record uncompressed video. Of coarse it also allows live monitoring.

As for this new lens. First, I bet it is super expensive! Second, it will allow you to take pictures of things you never knew existed and probably would be better off not knowing about.

11. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I am aware that they have HDMI ports, but neither the gf1 nor the GH1 allowed live video out DURING recording.....it was only for playback. I'm glad to see that they changed it for the GH2.....I just wasn't aware of it.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Both. Yes this is a niche lens, but it's no more specialized than the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro lens, which sells at major retail camera stores. In fact, it's as close as you're gonna get to the exact same thing. :) Except that this Yasuhara lens is significantly cheaper at half the price of the Canon!

The manufacturer and product is just too small to gain distribution. They have to be able to convince the buyers (aka purchasers) from the retailers to stock their product, and that's a difficult proposition with the volume they're probably expected to move. Canon can get distribution easily simply because they're Canon. If a third party made their MP-E lens for them, even though it's Canon EF mount it probably would be relegated to manufacturer order as well. The Micro Four-Thirds mount is getting popular, but it takes the marketing power of the manufacturer itself to get distribution, not just a popular system.

With this kind of lens, it simply makes more financial sense to everyone involved to cut out the middle man and sell from the manufacturer. Now, if they were a bigger company with a full lineup of Micro Four-Thirds lenses, then it would be a lot easier to just throw this one lens into the mix... but who's going to start an entire distribution line for just one low-volume specialty lens from that manufacturer?

Even Olympus and Panasonic are barely able to get more than camera kits (body + kit lens) into most stores. Wasn't Yasuhara the self-professed "Smallest Camera Maker in the World", who produced two models of screw mount (Leica thread) rangefinder cameras in total, and long after the screw mount era? Not a very strong presence. They were founded in 1998 by a former engineer of Kyocera (Yasuahara Shin) and went out of business in 2004. I think this is their first "comeback" product.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought the GH1 had live view through HDMI , it doesn't which makes it useless. The GH2 does have it and so does the new E-M5.