New and hopeful

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by berkshiregrl, Mar 26, 2011.

1. berkshiregrl

berkshiregrl Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2011
    Berkshires
    Peg
    I'm just venturing into the world beyond P&S with my order of an Olympus E-PL1 which I hope will be a good starting point. I enjoy the outdoors and traveling around the US mostly, although now that my twins are getting older I intend to start getting beyond the borders again. I have always been interested in photography and in attempting to photographically capture the beautiful places we go. However, I have never had the time to progress beyond my various Olympus fixed lens zoom cameras. Once I began researching and leaning more I realized that, regardless of what kind of technique I developed with the manual controls, the limits of the camera would remain.

From what I've read it seems the Olympus E-PL1 is a good starting point and I like the fact that I will be just as inclined to carry it around as I was with my P&S. I plan on just starting with the lens it comes with and working on mastering the camera before venturing into other lenses unless that isn't a good idea! I have no problem admitting how little I know and I am really grateful I found this site which seems to have a wealth of talented, knowledgeable and pleasant posters.

I am mostly interested in outdoor photos and like to bring my camera with me. My home is in a rural area of New England but during the week I spend a lot of time in Boston and have been wanting to start taking some urban, city pictures as well as waterfront ones as soon as the weather improves.

I can't wait until I have some photos I'm not embarrassed to share!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Berkshiregirl,

"though the Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frosting..."

Welcome to the board! I'm in Southern New England, and your observation is correct, lots of talent, help, and community on this board..

Enjoy your new camera and we look forward to seeing a few posts!

Alan....

3. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    Welcome aboard. It sounds like you found a good platform to grow with. I agree, a camera you're willing to carry around always beats a camera you are not!

Since you said you're somewhat a noobie, when I hear new shooters talk about feeling obliged to do manual anything, I get a little concerned they may become frustrated by the results when they feel they "have" to shoot manual.

If I might suggest this: leave in intelligent auto, program AE, or one of the scene modes relevant to what you are shooting and just focus on composition. Today's camera are computers with lenses. Manual is really only needed for those situations the camera can't handle, like strong backlight.
    So if I might suggest by focusing on composition, I'll wager you'll miss a few, but get a lot more satisfaction, as a good compositional story makes up for a lot of technical issues.

Trust me, I've talked to National Geographic shooters, they use a lot of automatic too!
    Again welcome to the m4/3 forum.

4. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    ..with 10 miles behind me and 10,000 more to go...

You go, Berkshire girl. Enjoy and learn as I am.

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    We're on the verge of a medley...

"there's a song that sing when they take to the highways..."

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Welcome!!

oh, and...

A song that they sing when they take to the sea.
    A song that they sing of their home in the sky.

7. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Welcome to the forum I know you'll enjoy the EPL1!
    Hey, everyone is singing my favorite song tonight!

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    So, give us the next line... we're welcoming in this nice lady from the Berkshires...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    A welcome from Belgium also.

10. craig1912

craig1912 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Had an epl2 for four weeks (mine came with two zoom kit lens). I also bought the Panasonic 20 mm which really does transform it into a take anywhere camera. The quality is also superb.
    In my opinion these cameras take a bit to get used to them but as tsated above start on on of the automatic modes first.

11. berkshiregrl

Mar 26, 2011
    Berkshires
    Peg
    Thanks for the JT welcome! Now that he's a full time resident with his own twins living on "October Road" I find I enjoy his songs more than ever. But you guys are even more impressive-you can sing and take great photos!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    That is a good plan, the kit lens and the epl-1 makes a very good travel package. And then you can figure out what you are lacking in the lens department.

It is a great little camera that will let you do everything a full dslr can do minus action shooting, and very shallow dof work.

The epl-1 is a great travel package.

Start in iauto, good starting point. I do not shoot in M to often, I do prefer Av, which lets me control the aperture setting for dof, and I let the camera decide the shutter speeds.

14. miha171

miha171 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    You shouldn't be embarressed to post your photos, we are all here to learn.
    I'm sure you're gonna love your e-pl1!

Look forward to seeing your outdoor photos.

Miha

• Like Like x 1
  15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from just a little bit below the Berkshires, from down here in New York!

Thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourself and give us all some background. It really does help when members take the time to do this.:thumbup:

I think you'll find yourself at home here very quickly, if you haven't already. Since you're so upfront about wanting to learn, I urge you to check out the Image Works forum which is for members only. It's filled with very helpful threads, and be sure to check out the sticky thread at the top: A primer on Aperture, f stops, ISO and EV compensation, among other things.

Glad to have you here, berkshiregirl!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome to the forum! I'm based just west of Boston, and there are quite a number of other New Englanders here. Love the Berkshires! We stayed out there in a B&B between Christmas and New Years in 2009. Very pretty, but also quiet, which was nice for a change.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  18. berkshiregrl

Mar 26, 2011
    Berkshires
    Peg
    Thanks, that's helpful-so much

here that I find myself wandering around and getting sidetracked into some interesting discussion when I really need to start at the beginning. I did get my camera on Thursday which was a bleak and colorless day but I took a few photos. Today is sunny in half of my town and snowing in the other half so I have been out in all kinds of conditions today taking architecture and outdoor photos and if I figure out how I'll post a few for helpful commentary.

19. berkshiregrl

Mar 26, 2011
    Berkshires
    Peg
    I did check it out and realized

I have no photos of myself so I need to work on that!

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Easy, stand in front of the mirror with your shiny new camera and click away.:wink: