New Adobe LR Masking (brush adjustment) coming end of Oct 2021

IMoL

Lost in the forest
Real Name
Steve
This would avoid many instances of "Edit in Photoshop" for me, saving me lots of disk space. In fact this may make me reconsider my choice to use Capture One - one of the main reasons I did that switch was for the better masking and local adjustments without going into Photoshop. I still have my Adobe subscription as I need PS for some of the product photography I do so I will test it when it comes out.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use them a lot in Capture One, for more subtle adjustments (e.g. selective sharpening, clarity, etc.) so nice to see Lightroom users soon getting improved tools as well. Adjustments to selective parts of the photo forces us to think what is important about our photo, what is not important in the photo, what are we really trying to say with our photo, and I think it is good exercise.

I have to say though, based on examples I've seen on YouTube, maybe people rely on masks a bit too much (not so subtle adjustments). And yet at the same time, when they do decide to rely on them, maybe people are also not meticulous or careful enough when drawing them. Layers and masks are a powerful tool, but I hope with Lightroom people don't start getting too carried away with them and yet more careless with them at the same time like they do now using Capture One.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Welp, the new tools have certainly put a crimp into my workflow. Anyone else?

The first thing I do after importing a set is a culling pass where I flag the shots that have the most promise. I then go through and fix any clipping using a couple custom brushes that either increase black level or decrease white level, and this is where the new design gets me:

I used to be able to select my custom brush and step through each flagged image and remove the clipped areas. Now I have to stop and choose the brush on every image. ugh. There might be some kybd shortcuts I can use to make this easier but dang, that's a drag.

I use a midi console with shortcuts to most local tools (thanks to midi2LR).
There are also shortcuts to the most used local presets that makes this very quick.

The alternative is to use keyboard shortcuts (K for brush, M for gradient, Shift+M for radial filter).

I have to say though, based on examples I've seen on YouTube, maybe people rely on masks a bit too much (not so subtle adjustments). And yet at the same time, when they do decide to rely on them, maybe people are also not meticulous or careful enough when drawing them. Layers and masks are a powerful tool, but I hope with Lightroom people don't start getting too carried away with them and yet more careless with them at the same time like they do now using Capture One.

I tried the new "sky / subject" automatic selection tools and I think it works great most of the times.

You sure have to be subtle on the values otherwise it could be too visible that it was processed.

What I can help is to add a radial gap that will makes the blend more progressive.

However, even the fact to be able to have several radial filters in the same mask is a very nice addition.
Or to be able to get the addition or intersection of 2 gradients.
(in the past making 2 gradients will have an area with twice the adjustment applied).

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use a midi console with shortcuts to most local tools (thanks to midi2LR).
There are also shortcuts to the most used local presets that makes this very quick.

The alternative is to use keyboard shortcuts (K for brush, M for gradient, Shift+M for radial filter).
Wow, that looks pretty cool and I just happen to keep a small midi controller on my desktop.

Sadly, the traditional kybd shortcuts don't really help in my use case -- by default every newly selected image gets a new mask with a custom effect instead of the last used effect. On the plus side the new UI makes it easy to select previously created masks.

1636560457652.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
I tried the new "sky / subject" automatic selection tools and I think it works great most of the times.

You sure have to be subtle on the values otherwise it could be too visible that it was processed.

What I can help is to add a radial gap that will makes the blend more progressive.

However, even the fact to be able to have several radial filters in the same mask is a very nice addition.
Or to be able to get the addition or intersection of 2 gradients.
(in the past making 2 gradients will have an area with twice the adjustment applied).
Not just that you use several of the same type of filter in the same mask, but you can also use different types of filters in the same mask.

One other thing I like is that using the 'paste settings from previous' function to paste settings that include the sky selection filter, even though it falls over when pasted onto a new image because the sky is different, the mask still exists and you can just delete the old sky and add a new sky and the same settings are applied to the new sky filter that is created. Same applies with the subject select.

All in all I've been very impressed with the new masking/brush tools.

Sadly, the traditional kybd shortcuts don't really help in my use case -- by default every newly selected image gets a new mask with a custom effect instead of the last used effect. On the plus side the new UI makes it easy to select previously created masks.
Ah OK, I didn't understand properly what you wanted to do.
I also did that from time to time. Not with brushes but with radial filters, but same thing.
I went through the images and made a new radial filter on each one, no need to use a keyboard shortcut you stayed in the right mode.
Now this is not possible anymore.

One other thing I like is that using the 'paste settings from previous' function to paste settings that include the sky selection filter, even though it falls over when pasted onto a new image because the sky is different, the mask still exists and you can just delete the old sky and add a new sky and the same settings are applied to the new sky filter that is created. Same applies with the subject select.
There's quicker, you can just update the computation of the sky/subject (I didn't see it first, it's more obvious on the mobile version but it's there).
(capture is in French but this should look the same in English :) )

Attachments

• Ciel.png
    Ciel.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 6

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tried the new subject detection feature on a building from the air, the results were unexpectedly useful in my tilt-shift-like experiment.

51694356719_1734e40aa9_b.jpg
Lightroom selection ai test by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

Below is the ai selected mask, inverted. I had to clean up and add a few things to the final mask but this was a usable start. I was surprised it worked on an image like this, but maybe I shouldn't be, or maybe I was lucky? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dji aii select 0.png

Last edited:

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I’ve found it very solid for one person in a landscape. I think that building example is much trickier. Nice to see the result.

Last edited:
Real Name
Neil
Agreed, the subject masking is very good, especially if there is clear focus separation between the subject and foreground and/or background.

The following holiday snapshot shows this process. The subject is backlit and underexposed, while the background is overexposed (but not blown out).
213FD6FB-0250-49B0-871E-ED7554F3FD40.jpeg

Applying Lightroom Auto exposure improved exposure of the background, but left the subject underexposed.
E62365AE-A920-4200-9FAD-CE05E4CA5E38.png

Next, I applied a subject mask and made lighting corrections on the subject.
B672182A-03A1-4CDA-BA52-5F06E2FEB658.png

0D54E28C-E21B-43B6-81F3-B923856A644A.jpeg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom