New Adobe Bridge is out! Maybe replacement for Lightroom???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Feb 10, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I read on DPR that Adobe up-revved Bridge, so it actually works now, lol.

Finally! Adobe updates Bridge CC for improved performance

I have an old Mac (2009) and was looking at upgrading my hardware because LR is dogging it now. I had just signed up for Adobe CC, so Bridge was a free download. It's very snappy on my '09 C2D 2.25 Mac Book Pro.

Not sure if I'll give up Lightroom or what, but for those not enamoured with Lightroom, this might be an alternative.
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You know I have never considered using Bridge in that way. I have always hated Bridge because I thought it got in the way but I can see how it could be really useful like this. Interesting, thanks for the tip.
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bridge is a file management application. It can only do file management. LR does file management, processing and several other things. Bridge can't replace LR unless you're only using LR for file management.

Since you have the CC subscription you also have Adobe Camera RAW which has the same functionality as LR for processing, and Photoshop which gives you printing and other functions. Using Bridge in combination with other applications in the CC package can replace LR.

Note that while ACR and LR have almost exactly the same processing functionality there are lots of interface differences and that may affect your choice of which you use for processing functions.

And for those with no experience of Adobe's applications it's also worth noting that if you shoot RAW you can't get by with Photoshop alone for processing. Photoshop cannot process RAW images. You need to use a RAW conversion application first to handle the conversion and then send the converted image to Photoshop for the processing you wish to do there. Adobe Camera RAW is a plug in for Photoshop which can be used for RAW conversion. LR is a combined file management/processing/printing and other functions application which has its own file management module, uses the Adobe Camera RAW "engine" for RAW conversion but gives it a different interface, and has a number of other modules to handle other functions including printing.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    AND Bridge doesn't seem to have export like LR does. You can "save as" from ACR, but I think there is a separate module for exporting in bulk (??)
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I've been a long time user of Bridge and Ps and relatively recently (3-4 years ago) added Lr to the mix. I've always been rather fond of Br. I've found Br getting progressively slower as my files have gotten larger (cameras with more mp, ...) so a speedup will be most welcome.

Br can do things that Lr can't and vice versa. Br isn't really a file manager as such; it is a file browser. I find it very useful as a front end for Ps's batch operations and for mass file renaming. I also like that it can work on files (metadata reading and editing, renaming, launching Ps's batch operations, ...) without having them imported into a database as with Lr. Files that have been added to my library by other programs (Id, Ai, ...) or who's filenames have been altered in an OS browser window are easily view in Br. Since Lr joined my toolset I haven't used Br to push RAW files to ACR.
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I wish Bridge was as staightforwaed as LR when it came to adding gps metadata. It just doesn't seem to work with Bridge. Apart from that I agree with all of the positive comments above.