new adaptor rumor - focal length reduction but light amplification

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

over here I found this very interesting thread on this topic.

The rumor suggests that the adaptor will reduce the focal length by 2 meaning that your 200mm lens will have the same view as a 200mm lens on a full frame camera.

Now for those of us who have been used to 4/3 giving us x2 advantage in focal length (making a 200mm into a 400mm) this sounds a bit poor, but it brings with it the advantage that light gathered will be essentially doubled so that could mean an extra stop of brightness.

Suggestions are that this could actually work well. A poster on that forum has suggested that this technology works well in Telescopes:

Focal reducers are common in astronomy, you take a 2000mm f10 SCT lens and drop it down to 1000mm f5.0. Wider field, faster, etc. But you don't see them for camera lenses. You can get a well-corrected f5-f6.3 focal reducer for telescopes for about $150.00.

it may introduce AF as well ...

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
So I better stop selling my old fd lenses... mmm... looks like the price of fd f1.2 lenses will increase..... Good stuff.... I wonder how much would they sell it.

noodlehaus

Mu-43 Veteran
So I better stop selling my old fd lenses... mmm... looks like the price of fd f1.2 lenses will increase..... Good stuff.... I wonder how much would they sell it.

They already have, I'm just so happy I was able to grab a 50mm f/1.4 Canon FD for $35 off ebay. I think it's us MFT owners who're driving up the prices/demand.

This adapter is something I'll save for :D

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Hi

over here I found this very interesting thread on this topic.

The rumor suggests that the adaptor will reduce the focal length by 2 meaning that your 200mm lens will have the same view as a 200mm lens on a full frame camera.

Now for those of us who have been used to 4/3 giving us x2 advantage in focal length (making a 200mm into a 400mm) this sounds a bit poor, but it brings with it the advantage that light gathered will be essentially doubled so that could mean an extra stop of brightness.

Suggestions are that this could actually work well. A poster on that forum has suggested that this technology works well in Telescopes:

Focal reducers are common in astronomy, you take a 2000mm f10 SCT lens and drop it down to 1000mm f5.0. Wider field, faster, etc. But you don't see them for camera lenses. You can get a well-corrected f5-f6.3 focal reducer for telescopes for about $150.00.

it may introduce AF as well ...

Since I dabble in astronomy..yes, there are focal reducers for telescopes. But they do have other inherent problems unrelated to photography. Like anything else, adding lens elements has the potential for light loss and added unforseen aberritions. Only time will tell if something like this could work for cameras.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My Nikon E3 uses reduction optics to produce a full-frame view on a small size sensor. The sensor would otherwise be at least a crop factor of 2x. It is big, as the optics have to sit in the image plane of the lens. The maximum aperture of the reduction optics is F4.8, but is made up by increased light at the sensor. The F-stop is built into the reduction optics.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
brian what are you talking about, i need more info about what you posted , it seems fascinating

pictures etc , never heard of this

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
copied this from an e3 fact sheet , great info brian , thanks

"Nikon Reduction Optical System (ROS) achieves practically identical picture angles when the same Nikkor lens is mounted on either an E Series digital or a Nikon 35mm 135-format SLR camera, This avoids confusion when you switch between these two types of cameras on a shoot. High viewfinder magnification ensures easy, detailed viewing. The Nikkor wideangle, lens image that you see when setting up is what yen get, for assurance that the subject filling the viewfinder frame is completely captured in the final shot.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Still works!

A 1.3million pixel full-frame camera from 1998...

picture.php
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I use it for all of my camera projects.

picture.php

picture.php

songs2001

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another use is that with a tele-convertor, sometimes you can get autofocus on manual focus lenses.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

RSilva

Mu-43 Regular
I hope this adapter comes true. Would love to be able to use my wider lens fully. Thanks for the post, I didn´t know such thing existed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom