1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Ad Blocker message

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by barry13, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet,

Since a day or two ago, I'm now getting a full-page adblocker warning when I visit the site (even if signed in and a subscriber):
    upload_2017-1-27_23-36-29.

It does go away if I click the purple button.
    I've noticed it FireFox on Windows; I tried Chrome afterwards but it didn't happen (I wasn't logged in, fyi).

I'm using AdBlock Plus and NoScript in FireFox.
    I've tried whitelisting the site before in AdBlock+, but without whitelisting a adsites JS in NoScript, it's not effective anyways.

Thanks,
    Barry

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Barry, that's so strange. I only ever set that up to show to unregistered guests, not to logged in members (subscribing or not).

And I uninstalled it even for guests a while back, so it shouldn't be showing to anyone at this point.

It has to be a cache issue. Not necessarily a local cache issue for you. It could be a cache issue on any level. I will try to troubleshoot. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    I am using Windows 7 and Firefox. I use Ublock-Origin. In Firefox, I do NOT have "Block pop-up windows" selected. I get the following results when I am NOT logged in:

(1) When mu-4/3 site is Whitelisted:
    Ublock-Origin says, for example, "requests blocked on this page 0 or 0%; domains connected 5 out of 5"
    yet I see the notice: "Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker. Why and how to do it." at the top of the page AND I see no ads displayed at all.

(2) When mu-4/3 site is Blocked:
    Ublock-Origin says, for example, "requests blocked on this page 6 or 11%; domains connected 2 out of 5"
    yet mu-4/3 does NOT show the notice requesting whitlisting the site (nor, of course, any ads).

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I merged this into Barry's thread. While a separate issue, I'd rather not have multiple adblock threads on the recent posts list at the same time.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That is as expected. U-block Origin blocks my notice as well as the ads.

That means that something is blocking the ads even though you whitelisted. Could be a different extension, script blocker, router configuration, etc. Many possibilities. But if the ads are prevented from showing and the visitor is not a subscriber, moderator, affiliate patron, active poster (20 posts in the last 30 days), or using something like u-block Origin, that message will show.

6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm wondering if it's the ad server itself that's the problem. As I previously posted, I sometimes see that message even though this site is whitelisted. I have no other extensions that block anything, there's no router config to do so etc. What I've noticed is that I sometimes see the ads at the top of the page, and sometimes see the warning message. It makes me wonder if it's just that the site that serves the ads is a bit flakey and, if it doesn't respond quickly enough, I get the message. It's no big deal either way from my point of view.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just a small point of clarification, none of these messages are "warnings", more like "requests".

8. Tywais

Tywais Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Mike
    Could try disabling all addons except adblock and see if the problem goes away. If it does, re-enable one at a time.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Didn't happen today, fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  10. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I just got it again, sort of... I re-opened FireFox, and it still had a page open in a tab (EM1.2 histogram), and it came up with a 404 type error and the default theme (I use Dark). I hit shift-reload, briefly saw the adblock notice, and then the page loaded OK.

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm getting this again... page already open in FF, re-open FF, get 404 page... I tried to drag the browser tab to a new window to take a screenshot, and then the ad block notice appeared.
    Shift-reload fixed it again.

I'll close that tab and try to see if it happens next time I come to the site.

FWIW, I haven't seen it on my Android phone or Android tablet (using Chrome).
    I use FF on Windows, but will try Chrome if it happens in FF on a new visit.

Thanks

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm stumped. Maybe somehow related to Nginx fastcgi_cache?

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I went ahead and disabled fastcgi_cache. Did that make any difference?

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It just happened again in FF, with a new session this time, and then trying to visit the Watched Threads page:
    upload_2017-1-31_17-53-34.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

when I touch it, it goes to
    upload_2017-1-31_17-54-19.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't see it in Chrome, but I wasn't logged in, so not sure it'd be the same.

Thanks

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you're not logged in, it may be normal to see it. I've reinstalled it for guests.

But if you are logged in, you should not see that message under any circumstances. I have no idea what could be causing you to see that while logged in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.