1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New 72 hour challenge: Street Photography (with a little catch)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Chrisnmn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I want to thank once again to @Bhupinder for picking me up as the winner for the past challenge. But i think i want to get something "faster" than golden hour landscapes...

this time i propose "Street Photography" with a little catch.

I was thinking that with all the latest topics in m43land about all the new and upcoming lenses, theres bunch of us talking about AF speed vs sharpness vs what-not.

so heres the catch: I was thinking that maybe this should be Street Photography only with your "slowest" AF lens you have in your arsenal?. Why this?. Cause i think it would be great for a bunch of us to remind that our "snail slow" lens deep down in our bag is still the "fastest" lens we bought a couple of months/years ago. Considering also that all of this is thousand times faster from what the "masters" of Street Photography / Photo Journalists had 20 or 30 years ago. I also think this will make us think more in the content and composition of our shots.

Also remember that street photography is not necessarily "portraits of people" theres a lot more than just people in the streets. so lets bring it on guys... lets have fun!.

heres some of mine both shot with the good ol' P20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rules are as follows/

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72-Hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a golden ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for "Your Best Shot: Street Photography challenge."
    And finally I am not allowed to post pics for the purpose of participation in contest but I am going to post two pics as an examples .
    So here we go .

• Like Like x 3
  2. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    slowest as in slowest to focus (automatically), or slowest as in minimum aperture? I'm assuming the former in which case may I make an argument for including manual focus (GASP!) legacy lenses? If not, looks like I'll be shooting that good 'ol p20 myself.

congrats on the win, btw.

3. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Count me in as one that would like to include manual focus. Heck, if it were my challenge I might make it MF only. ;)

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Im glad u guys like the idea. And yes! Manual focus lenses are more than welcome!!!!!! I forgot to say that. I dont own personally mf lenses on my m43 gear only some film compacts so in order to be consequent with my topic i mentioned the p20 which in my case is my slowest AF lens!

Bring it on guys! I know y'all have the talent and the equipment!!!

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    There were a few things that surprised me as i was taking this pic...

1. That this thing happened just a few steps in front of me as i was waiting to cross the street.
    2. That absolutely no one else seemed to notice this.
    3. That the Panny 20mm's AF was fast enough for it...
    4. That phone in his hand!

online.

• Like Like x 2
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Shot with the P20.

P1020171.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Chris :smile:
    Thanks for this wonderful idea. The slowest lens I have is Olympus 4/3 14-54 mmII ,which I use with an adaptor on my OMD.Here are my entries .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

Young love...
    PB050109.

NEX Street shooter..
    PB050061.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    This is easy for me - I use manual focus for the vast majority of my street shooting - zone focus with whatever lens will let me do it because zone focus is actually a lot FASTER than auto-focus and a lot more foolproof too - if set up right it NEVER misses focus. On m43 that means the 12mm now and maybe someday the new 17mm. The other native lenses can be used for zone focus but its a real kludge and pain in the butt to use. Many of my favorite street shots have been taken with non-m43 cameras (since m43 has such limited options for easily setting up zone focus), but I have plenty with the 12mm over the past year or so. I'll go with this one just to show that movement is no impediment. This is one of my favorite New York City shots and one of relatively few I've left in color - done with the EPL3 and the 12mm lens with the manual focus ring engaged:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6926252658/" title="NYC 4/12/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> 6926252658_53f880c7d0_b. "1024" height="679" alt="NYC 4/12/12"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/7036972317/" title="NYC 4/1/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="NYC 4/1/12"></a>

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  10. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    20/1.7
    paris-01.

paris-02.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    My second entry... a shot on a dark Edinburgh evening with the P20.

Edinburgh_Night1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    C'est la station centrale grande...

405109_4961415438948_1898988846_n_1_.

• Like Like x 2
  13. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    couple points:

1) why do people use the internet to preach to people who are already informed of the content of the sermon? There is nothing you have to prove to anyone, or sell anyone. I guess your enthusiasm is a little too "in your face" for me, like a zone focusing zealot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just kinda intense I guess.

2)Rule #1 about any competition: Read the rules. (we are allowed two entries a piece) They are in the first post I believe.

Great shots, btw. I do like how the "LOVE ME" seems like a thought bubble for the cyclist.

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    1 - the challenge discusses using slower AF and MF as though they're challenges to be overcome. IE, these were taken despite this handicap! I think it's worth noting for those who aren't as informed as you are about it that for some of us, using MF is NOT a handicap, but actually a substantial advantage for this type of shooting. If you're familiar, great. If not, this might be useful information.

2 - missed it - apologies. I'll remove all but two m43 shots.

-Ray

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Where did all that come from. :confused: Ray wasn't preaching, just giving background info as to how he took the pictures.

I'd spit that wasp out if I was you, before it spoils your day any further! :biggrin:

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Both from Olympus 14-140 f4-5.6 (like around 5.6) @ 125th sec.

• Like Like x 3
  17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Both taken with the Panasonic 14-45mm, the slowest and in fact the only :43: lens I had at the time.

This one with a G1.
    IRELAND_2010_P_865_e_c_B_W_Shooter_4_r_s.

This one with an E-PL1.
    CAMDEN_270_e_c_B_W_Shooter_3_r_s.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Chill

Chill New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    First post, first contest entry!

Hi guys, this is my first post and I thought I would share a couple photos from my recent trip in South America while simultaneously entering this contest.

Both shot with my E-P1 and Olympus 17mm.

This was in Colombia
    phpNl3istPM.

And

This was in Argentina
    phpYeFxRHPM.

• Like Like x 3
  19. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    2 with the P20...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8213764676/" title="PB210022 by S P Collins, on Flickr">"800" height="450" alt="PB210022"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8225599418/" title="P9018391 by S P Collins, on Flickr">"800" height="800" alt="P9018391"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  20. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The slowest lens I ever really owned was the 75-300/4.8-6.7. It doesn't autofocus as fast on not-so-sunny days...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/7513761398/" title="Puckered by yekimrd, on Flickr">"600" height="800" alt="Puckered"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/7575233022/" title="Studious by yekimrd, on Flickr">"600" height="800" alt="Studious"></a>

• Like Like x 2