New 72 Hour Challenge (14-17 Jan '13) - Candid Connection

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by macalterego, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Okay, here's the new challenge, and in this case I'm more than happy to judge because this is one area I am not very confident in, especially since moving away from my full frame Canon and L-glass.

I'm titling the theme Candid Connection, to indicate a photo that shows the human need for connection: to another person, or an animal such as a pet. I've included an example of each. Both were taken a few years ago prior to my switch to m43, and I'm still struggling a bit to get the kinds of shots with my current setup that I see some of you displaying that, frankly, amaze me.

Please refer to the comprehensive list of previous topics and winners via the link below:

72-Hour Challenge Hall of Fame (2012)

Have fun! Winner shall be announced on or shortly after the 17th Jan 6:00 PM U.S.Central Time (-0600GMT).

72 Hour Challenge Rules

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for the 72-hr Blue Ribbon Challenge.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Here's my entries, both on my old GF2 with the Panasonic 20mm

<a href="" title="Best Friends by jloden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Best Friends"></a>

<a href="" title="Marlana = Headrest by jloden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Marlana = Headrest"></a>
    • Like Like x 9
  4. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    I know I used this one before but I just love it and its great for this category :)

<a href="" title="Smile by fm289302, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Smile"></a>

and a new one

<a href="" title="IMG_5999-2 by fm289302, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="800" alt="IMG_5999-2"></a>
    • Like Like x 11
  5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    • Like Like x 10
  6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    take the step by foxtail_1, on Flickr

I don't take many pictures of people, but the care that this gentleman took with his wife really struck me.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    1st entry: Caught a couple of hikers taking a break and enjoying the awesome scenery while sharing each other's company.

OMD+12-35mm, Lake McKenzie, NZ
    • Like Like x 5
  8. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    A safe place

• Like Like x 4
  9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Here is my take shot with the P14-45

<a href="" title="P1080852 by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P1080852"></a>

This is a sculpture, but I like the interpretation. Shot with OM 50mm F/1.8

<a href="" title="P1090223-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="767" alt="P1090223-Edit.jpg"></a>
    • Like Like x 3
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
  11. fullbanani

fullbanani Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Berlin, GER
    Tough guy loved by his dog:
    • Like Like x 9
  12. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Great thread! My two:

• Like Like x 7
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 3
  14. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I know I have posted this elsewhere, and forget where, but this one gets connection for me... both between the individuals as well as the place, as well as the connection through the place.

• Like Like x 6
  15. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I've posted this one a few times.. I'm sure there's a connection here... at least enough to maintain the call :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    My dad and my youngest daughter, on his birthday.

My wife and youngest daughter, this Christmas.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    <3 this one!
    • Like Like x 3
  18. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
  19. hkpzee