New 72 Hour Challenge (1-28:1-31) 2013: Street Photography

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by luiztakei, Jan 27, 2013.

1. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    The kind of photography I find most interesting is Street Photography. It is not easy for me to explain why. A big thing, probably, is the fact that it portrays real life and real people, not something staged to look nice or not nice.

Show us your best street photos! :)

IMO, what fits in the category of Street Photography is any photo that is taken at a public place including at least one person. No posed photos, only beautiful candid ones!

Here are two examples:

<a href="" title="Bus stop by Luiz Takei, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="489" alt="Bus stop"></a>

<a href="" title="Sweets por Luiz Takei, no Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="534" alt="Sweets"></a>

If you need some inspiration, I found this guy on youtube who is very enthusiastic about Street Photography:
    [ame=]Don't be Misunderstood Street Photography tips John Free - YouTube[/ame]

Please refer to the comprehensive list of previous topics and winners via the links below:

72-Hour Challenge Hall of Fame (2013 Q1)

72-Hour Challenge Hall of Fame (2012)

72 Hour Challenge Rules

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for the 72-hr Blue Ribbon Challenge.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here are my 2 entries...

<a href="" title="Wonder by yekimrd, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Wonder"></a>

<a href="" title="Bored by yekimrd, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Bored"></a>
    • Like Like x 11
  3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Some abstract ones:

<a href="" title="Man in Black by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="Man in Black"></a>

<a href="" title="Dancing Shadow by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="Dancing Shadow"></a>
    • Like Like x 10
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Ah...I wish I lived in a location where street photography was possible...I need to get downtown more often...
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012

• Like Like x 12
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    • Like Like x 19
  7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Well, this is a street, just very rural!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  8. Bertie

Bertie Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    On a small town street in Texas.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    • Like Like x 5
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Here's a recent street shot I took:
    • Like Like x 7
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

<a href="" title="HELP by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="571" alt="HELP"></a>

<a href="" title="#First go at street by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="#First go at street"></a>
    • Like Like x 9
  13. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA

• Like Like x 10
  14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    carnival4B by foxtail_1, on Flickr

Hard category for me, as I don't take many pictures of people.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 15
  16. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    <a href="" title="Zombie Friends by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="Zombie Friends"></a>
    • Like Like x 11
  17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    <a href="" title="P1140110-1 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="P1140110-1"></a>
    • Like Like x 9
  18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    <a href="" title="Concentrate! by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Concentrate!"></a>
    • Like Like x 7
  19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    One from Philly, one from New York City. The first was a set composition just waiting for something to happen in the scene. The second just a spontaneous moment captured quickly:

<a href="" title="Philly 10-11-76-Edit-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="800" alt="Philly 10-11-76-Edit-Edit"></a>

<a href="" title="NYC 4/20/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="NYC 4/20/12"></a>

• Like Like x 10
  20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Lubov....that little old lady on the scooter thing is classic :)

2 from me.

This first I snapped without a thought for comp or anything, shot almost wildly after seeing his tense face rushing by. It was rush hour and we were both moving briskly in opposite directions. The motion blur you see is very true to moment.

On a mission. Melbourne Streets. by Livnius,

This second was taken with a much longer lens and the guy was tucked away at the end of a relatively dark alley that i happened to walk passed, i just loved how he was doing his thing in the one spot of that alley bathed in light. this shot I had the time to stop and compose through the viewfinder.

Laneway Artist. by Livnius, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 13