1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New 72 hour blue Ribbon Challenge: Celestial Bodies

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Iconindustries, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One topic I have been thinking about lately is Celestial bodies. My brother has been filling my head with amazing stories about the sky. He's shown me amazing pictures of the universe from what he's seen and captured through his telescope. I thought this challenge might inspire you to get out your old reflector lens or dig out that unused telescope and have a shot of taking a picture of something you see in the sky. I've seen Djarum and his awesome pictures of the Comet Panstarrs, that's what I'm talking about. It can be anything way up out there such as the moon, sun (you need a filter for this) stars ect. Preferably nature, no UFO's! haha

The main reason is to have fun!

best,
    icon

here are some examples my brother has taken.

Comet C2012 F6 (lemmon) EM-5 and O75mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8555974192/" title="Comet by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8555974192_6fd09822b9_c. "800" height="534" alt="Comet"></a>

Milky Way GX1 and PL 25mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8554879529/" title="P1110077 (1) by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8554879529_d049da6e9d_c. "800" height="534" alt="P1110077 (1)"></a>

GX1 with T ring adapter on his (my brothers) homemade telescope

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8555991266/" title="P1070457 (1) by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8555991266_4db531acc0_c. "800" height="534" alt="P1070457 (1)"></a>

72 Hour Challenge Rules

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for the 72-hr Blue Ribbon Challenge.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Miranda Kerr :biggrin:

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    The sun and the moon, the only celestial bodies in reach of my camera's

_2103348res.

_8241309_HDRres.

C U,
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 4
  4. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    GX1 P 45-200, 1/125' f11, iso-200.

I did post this one in a previous challenge "Solitude", I do have some close up pics of the Moon but I really like like the feeling of isolation and scale this one portrays. That said I am looking now for a t mount adapter for my old reflex scope, so hope to be able to get some better pics in the future.

solitude.JPG

5. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Both pictures taken through a Meade ETX-70AT telescope and the Panasonic GH2.

The Orion Nebula
    P1030295-2.

The Sun taken with a Seymour Solar Filter attached. You can see some sunspots in some parts of it.
    P1030269-3.

• Like Like x 1
  6. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    From the transit of Venus across the Sun last year.
    P1090858.JPG

Acer

• Like Like x 1
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's not the best image, but it is the most difficult celestial body I've ever captured with a camera.

Saturn
    [​IMG]
    E-PL2 with Soligor 80-200mm and 3x Teleconverter on Konica AR mount at 200mm, f/4.5, 1/2 sec, ISO 200

Then there's something easier but still cool to see with just a camera.

Jupiter and a few of its' moons. From top left to bottom right they are Callisto, Ganymede, Jupiter, Io, and Europa
    [​IMG]
    E-PL2 with m.Zuiko 40-150mm at 150mm, f/5.6, 1.3 sec, ISO 200

• Like Like x 3
  8. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    the saturn pic is impressive!!! wicked that you can actually see the rings.

9. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Late to the dance (just joined a few hours ago), and still trying to figure things out. OK.....image uploaded. The photo of the Milky Way is great! Here's a picture of the moon my son and I took. It's thru a Celestron C8 w/ f6.3 telecompressor captured by a G1 at prime focus. Image HDR processed with Photomatrix (7 images) and cleaned up with Lightroom.

Moon-m4-3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    Well that last moon is a hard act to follow! Amazing detail.
    There was a nice crescent moon this evening so I did my best with what I've got :smile:

P3170070.

• Like Like x 2
  11. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    MajorMagee, Hey, Hey. I live just down the road from you. Love the planet pics. If you have any interest, there's an amateur astronomy group fairly newly formed in Warren County. They meet at Hisey Park, which is just north of Lebanon. Not the darkest skies, but not bad. I was out there a couple of weeks ago, my first meeting, and there's some boys and girls with some NICE toys.

Here's their webite site: Warren County Astronomical Society

12. sykizo

sykizo New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2013
    cool

intersting

13. Iconindustries

Ok we have a selection! Thanks for those who contributed hey. I thought we might have had a few pictures of the comet Panstarrs but that's ok.

I had to consult with my brother to pick the winner as he is way more familiar with the sky and taking pictures of it.

3rd Place

Major Magee and his picture of Jupiter and moons. My brother is impressed with this photo because of the fact it's been taken with a lens. A much clearer photo could be taken through a telescope but to get this with a lens is a job done good.

2nd Place

Goes to RedNumber5 and his Orion Nebula. Jonah says that Nebula's are much harder to capture than planets because they are much fainter.

1st Place

Goes to Colin and his moon shot. Great detail and processing and with a telescope like this, you'd get some awesome deep sky shots

• Like Like x 2
  14. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Iconindustries, Thanks for letting me play. My oldest son and I have enjoyed using this scope. Hope to get it under some dark skies and put it to the test.....C

15. Iconindustries

I forgot to say man since you won the contest you have the privilege of choosing the theme for the next contest. Welcome to the forum!

Here is a list of the categories chosen so far

https://www.mu-43.com/f48/72-hr-challenge-hall-fame-2013-q1-39228/

• Like Like x 1
  16. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Thanks for the link. I'll get it written up tonight. Quite a privilege....and introduction!