New 72 hour blue Ribbon Challenge: Break on Through

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by colinhester, Mar 20, 2013.

1. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Big thanks (I think) to Iconindustries for selecting me, the new guy, as the winner of the Celestial Bodies challenge. Since I am new and no one knows me, please take a look at my introduction. I look forward to seeing the interpretations, which is always the best part of themed contests.....C

Game On...

----------------------------------------------------
    As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for the 72-hr Blue Ribbon Challenge.

2Colin_Hester.

• Like Like x 2
  2. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Here is my interpretation of the theme. It took me a while to think of a photographic interpretation of the theme. Thanks, Colin! :)
    I love seeing images of plants growing in the tiniest of cracks in stone, knowing that they have the potential to break even the largest of rocks apart.
    P1110924.JPG P1070034.JPG

Acer

• Like Like x 4
  3. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    "Homage to M.C.E." Walking back from the radio studio where I volunteer. Made my day. OM-D/E-M5, O Zuiko 75mm f1.8; @ f6.3, 1/20s, ISO 400.

3220010Escher22Mr13OMDZk75f6_3S20Is400x1250.

• Like Like x 2
  5. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Seven weeks after the catastrophic January bushfires on the Tasman Peninsula. OM-D/E-M5, Olympus 75mm f1.8. Photo © Giles Hugo 2013.

3110157BrackentStump12Mr13OMDZk75f5_6S25Is200x1250.

• Like Like x 4
  6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    • Like Like x 2
  8. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Closed.

It'll take me a few hours to look these over and write 'em. Thanks for submitting!!!

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    [​IMG]
    E-PL-2 with Zuiko OM 50mm f/1.4 at f2.8, 1/2000 sec, ISO 200

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm being literal here. :smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/7727655070/" title="POW by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 7727655070_4a1d80cacc_b. "1024" height="768" alt="POW"></a>

11. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
  12. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
  13. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Break on Through

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8509072955/" title="Broken land - Dead sea Lido by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8509072955_75a7a8b5bb_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Broken land - Dead sea Lido"></a>

Through

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8495333680/" title="Ouch !! by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8495333680_0cc45fb8eb_b. "1024" height="653" alt="Ouch !!"></a>

14. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Sorry for the delay. Kids and life/work got in the way. I would like to thank everyone for their submissions. One of the best parts of themed contests is the image that's brought to mind for each photographer. Each are different but enjoy a common bond. The images are figurative or literal in theme, but all beautiful.

Honestly, I was at a loss as to the theme I would choose. I just happened to catch The Doors on the radio and had a pic from a year ago entitled "BoT" - pictured. Took that as a cosmic sign and so it was. I had no preconceived notions or ideas of what the ideal photograph should look like. The common thread, as I see, in the images: power, force. I was pleasantly surprised to see Nature presented as it should, a force able to overcome any obstacle. With that said......

Kirill, Congratulations. The constructed weed juxtaposed against Nature's flower. Your photo made me stop and think about how great and all-powerful we, as humans, think we are, and how we believe we are in control of our environment. We can build the most magnificent structures, but in the end there will be nothing synthetic left behind. Everything I do, everything my kids do will, in short time, be reduced to nothing, but Nature will continue. Thank you for sharing.

15. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    MajorMagee, As much as Kirill's photo was man v. Nature, yours poeticly demonstrates Nature vs. itself. The crystalline ice, that cause so much destruction, pulls back from the soft petals of the new bud - a reversal of strength. The buds reclaiming their rightful space, without force, gives me hope.

16. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Elavon, I like this photo. It leaves me wondering. What does the beautiful mountainous mural represent? The other graffiti (face, tree, flag) does not touch it. Is this out of respect for the artwork? The hole smashed in the wall is not just a portal through a man-made structure, but through a representation of Nature. I like the way the imperfect hole frames the geometric shapes that make up the buildings. I want to know why the hole was made. What does this place make? Abandoned? Lots more questions left unanswered. :thumbup:

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The place is a deserted Jordanian coffee house on the banks of the Dead sea. The coffee house was used by Jordanian till 1967, In the hole we see an hotel that is used as an Israeli army post since then. The map is a copy of holy land crusader map, painted by an Israeli reserve soldier in 1973. I do not know the history of the hole and the graffiti.

I found allot of symbolism in a map of holy land with hole looking at an army post. What make us more optimistic, is that since this map was drawn, there is peace between Israel and Jordan and scene of mine clearing become more common.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8587891129/" title="Mines clearing by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8587891129_36737732e0_c. "800" height="450" alt="Mines clearing"></a>

18. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    So, colinhester, which is the "winning" image (all excellent, as you say!)? The winner will chose the next challenge, so inquiring minds want to know.

19. colinhester

colinhester Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colin Hester
    Foxtail1, I'm sorry for the confusion. I realize now I did not state the winner, other than a simple "congragulations". The image by Kirill was the winner. Kirill was contacted last night and has agreed to host the next challenge. MajorMagee second, and elavon third. Again, sorry for any confusion.....C

20. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Sorry for the confusion, Colin did PM me earlier today saying that I am the winner so I will think of a theme and post the new challenge in a few hours' time.