1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New 7.5mm f2 announced!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Wow Wow x 9
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. tkbslc

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The Laowa 12mm for FF got very very good reviews I believe, so one could hope for similar optical performance here as well.

You'll inevitably have people to complain that it's a manual lens, but for instances this wide you're more than likely either doing landscape or indoor photography work. For anything street, simply set it to hyperfocal and shoot away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Whoa! Depending on how much this costs and how well it performs, it might just see my fisheye heading out the door.

Wow, good job Laowa. Very impressed with everything this company has come out with so far, to be honest...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tkbslc

Anyone that has used the Samyang 7.5mm FE will tell you that focusing is super easy. Even at f2, a focusing distance of 2m is already infinity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Haha, at the risk of sounding especially obnoxious, I almost think 7.5mm is too wide. Would have been happier with something in the 9-10mm range for more day-to-day shooting. That said, this lens should be absolutely exceptional for astrophotography, assuming it can keep coma under control. Even if it has to be stopped down to f2.8, it's much smaller, lighter, and undoubtedly more affordably than the 7-14/2.8 it would be competing against in those circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is impressive. Manual is totally viable in a lens this wide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Wow. If this has good performance it will sell boatloads. I am getting one unless it's a total dud. Most likely cost under 500 as well. I love manual wide angle lenses as I manually focus anything wider then 12 mm anyway. MFT chart if it can be trusted is very good in the center with fair corners. If it sharpens up in the corners by f4 it will really be a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Good show - though for me it wouldn't replace the fish (I like my 180 degrees :)). But as others have said, if it's a solid performer, I'm interested ... And I'll definitely take a closer look at Photokina.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7.5mm rectilinear is nowhere near as wide as 7.5mm fish-eye, so it can't be that unmanageable. I often think my 9-18 isn't wide enough, always use it as a 9mm prime...

Hmm if this is available, will I still even need the 9-18?

• Like Like x 1
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Looks great! If that render is accurate, it looks quite small, judging by the size of the mount.

13. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Whatttt this is sweet. And f2. Damn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tkbslc

The checklist of missing MFT lenses is getting very very small. What are we going to talk about then? :)

The specs were listed. 170g and 55mm long. Close in size and weight to the 25mm f1.4 or Sigma 60mm.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wjiang

On closer inspection, that MTF chart is a little worrying. There is an immediate and steady fall-off in resolution from the centre, f/2.8 is not that different. I guess it's not that surprising given the size of the lens...

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

I actually agree with you, but there is such a huge difference between 15 and 20mm equiv, that a 10-10.5mm could still easily fit into the system.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :thiagree:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wjiang

Voigtlander Nokton 10.5mm f/0.95. It's not really a landscape lens though.

19. tkbslc

Here's what they look like next to the Olympus 7-14 Pro (Top chart). Unfortunately they use reversed colors:

upload_2016-9-13_15-36-39.

The Olympus is a little flatter throughout the range, while the Venus drops steadily. But the starting and ending points are quite similar.

Here's the panasonic, too: https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-...ic-Lumix-G-Vario-7-14mm-f4-ASPH-MTF-Chart.gif

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If it were as good as the Samyang 7.5mm FE, I would seriously consider it. Until it's out in the wild and there's substantial feedback I'm sticking with the 7-14 Pro. I am also coming to like the wide angle zoom capability for architectural work - it's a lot safer option than getting run over as I move forward and back to compose.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2