New 60mm f/2.8 Lens from Sigma, Plus Revised 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 Lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Given the current 19+30 blowout pricing I am not surprised at updates being announced, but I am disappointed that Sigma is not offering a faster option for m4/3s.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Smooth focus rings?

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    It looks like it, but the press release says it will be textured.

It's nice to see them putting the bayonet hood mount on the 30 and 60.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, blowout prices explained. Not sure a cosmetic upgrade is enough to make them interesting, and I'm mostly disappointed that Sigma is only unleashing fairly slow glass. What they're great at building are fast primes (the 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4; some folks have issues with AF reliability on the 50/1.4 on Canon, but I guess I got lucky, and the rendering is really, really great. Especially for the price).

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    smooth focus rings or sliding hoods maybe?

7. ultimind

ultimind Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Ohio
    I wonder if Sigma is worried that fast glass on m4/3 would detract from sales of their fast glass for DX and FX cameras.

Count me in for a Sigma 60 2.8. Especially if its priced below the Olympus macro.

8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I wonder whether the new 19mm will have better CA performance than the current version?

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Alright Sigma, you've dipped your toes in the pool. Now bring on the Bigma 50-500mm

• Like Like x 1
  10. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    The characteristics of these lenses is mainly driven by them being designed to work with Sigma's DP series cameras. Offering them on m4/3 and NEX is simply a way to increase the volume that they can produce. I'd like faster glass too, but I think Sigma positions themselves well as a lower-cost alternative to other native lenses.

The one thing that is a bit curious is the fact that the new lens is 60mm, not 50mm like the DP3. I wonder what the difference is. Well, it looks more compact than Olympus' offering anyways! Let's see if they can come in at $299 for that one. It would be a great price point.

Edit: the 60 is not macro :cool:

11. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    It shows that Sigma has a small interest in m43 but are not serious yet. If they really were serious, they would come out with fast primes. I have no interests in buying f/2.8 primes, especially de 19 and 30. I would go for the 12-35 instead. But that's me.

12. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    If I didn't already have faster prime lenses that cover close to these same focal lengths from Olympus and Panasonic then I might consider these Sigma lenses since I'm sure they will be aggressively priced.

It's nice to have more lens options even if I personally won't be purchasing these. Now if the Sigma 60mm was a macro lens (a less expensive version of the Olympus 60mm macro) then I might have been more interested.

13. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    it bears repeating

Completely smooth? Seriously? NOTHING to feel? I'll pass.

14. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Minimum focus distance is nearly 20", maximum magnification is 1:7.2, it's most definitely not a macro lens!

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The 60mm looks real interesting to me. I know we already have the Oly 75, but a cheaper alternative in a mid-tele focal length is interesting.

16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Maybe I missed it, but where in the announcement did it state this is a macro lens? These are still just hand me downs, nothing designed for m4/3 specifically. I'd support sigma if they made a lens that was meant for m4/3 instead of just slapping a mount on whatever they think will increase their market. Sigma and tamron need to make a lens that fills the gaps in the lens line up, instead of just making copies of lens(es) we already have available.

• Like Like x 1
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Say it again Grinch! :2thumbs:

18. marcinski

marcinski New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2012
    I actually quite like the announcement from Sigma. The lenses look nice, hope they will remain cheapish. The 60mm may be smaller and cheaper alternative to Oly 60mm macro. I took the liberty to do a quick and dirty comparison and it appears that 60mm is the size of Pana 25mm.

60_28_DN_013_sigma_pana_compa.

Marcin

• Like Like x 4
  19. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yup! Preach it!

20. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Ah good call. I just assumed since their DP3 has a macro lens.