New 20mm mkII - Question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BLT, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I was hoping that someone who has tried the new Panasonic 20mm mkII could tell me if the focus mechanism is now internal? I am seeing conflicting reports on the net.

On the original version the front element moves in and out as the lens focuses. This means that adding any hoods / converters / filters added to the weight/strain on the focus mechanism. It also makes damage from impact more likely.

It would be a nice (all be it small) upgrade over the original.
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I just tried the new P20 and the new GX7. I can assure you, and im even told by Panasonic that the new P20 is only cosmetical!.

The AF speed is EXACTLY THE SAME as the old version. The focus mechanism is external. It looks internal cause it has now more of a cylindrical look. In fact it feels 'bigger' than the old version.

hope that works.
  3. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I realised the AF Speed was the same. I was just wondering about the movement in the front element. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still Love my 20mm. I went to the seaside recently with just the 20mm in B&W mode. . . . .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. sagar

sagar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    I have used both. Old 20 on P3 and new one p5. Based on my experience it looks like just cosmetic upgrade. I wish Panasonic had upgraded its AF instead of charging more for cosmetic finish
  5. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I thought it was quieter to focus?
  6. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Thats a bit disappointing