1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New 20mm lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Phil66, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Ello all,

Ok I got the 20mm lens today. Haven't had much time with it but I did buy it for when I visit stately homes as most don't allow flash.

I just took a couple of snap shots. 2 with the 14-42 zoom at max aperture (3.2) and two near identical with the pancake at 1.7. For a test I set the ISO to 200. To be honest I can hardly see any difference in the two pictures. One was of a chest of drawers about 6 feet away and the other of the hallway with only the light from my room entering it.

I expected more brightness with the pancake at these setting.

I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Please post the pics for feedback. It's hard to say without seeing the pics and EXIF.

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    What do you mean by expecting "more brightness"?

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Exposure is exposure, Phil. Two pictures with different lenses at the same exposure will appear as the same brightness. Check the EXIF data for shutter speeds. The picture with the 20mm should be two stops faster. e.g. 1/30 with the zoom and 1/125 with the 20mm. Read up on reciprocity.

5. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    I've lost them now, I'll do some more tomorrow, I'm just wondering why I was advised to go for the pancake for indoor no flash photography.

Phil

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Assuming you're using either Av or Program, then the exposure would be the same overall. You'd just get a faster shutter speed with the 1.7. Try using a manual shutter speed and see what happens.

Gordon

7. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Being able to shoot with faster shutter speed and lower ISO for better output.

(This is exactly why I cringe when it's immediately recommended to people who are new to photography to buy buy buy the 20mm.)

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The pancake is EXCEEDINGLY better, so it's likely something's amiss.

Your camera will adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO to make the same exposure, regardless of the lens. If you adjust aperture, the camera will then adjust shutter speed and ISO.

Take a couple of sample pics and post them. It will be easier to explain it off the samples.

9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I was new to photography when I got the Olympus 17mm - not exactly the Panny 20mm, but no slouch either - and immediately saw the difference compared with the kit lens. It was night and day. I was initially disappointed with the E-PL1 because of very noisy indoor images using the kit lens, and I really wanted to return the camera. However, I gave the 17mm a shot (a bit of an expensive shot too, at that time).

Without those recommendations I read here, I would have gone on to other formats, or maybe even just stayed with my bulky DSLR. I guess the point is people recommend lenses (and even label some of them "legendary" - as the 20mm is now sometimes described) because they see something good coming out of it. It's the reader's job to sift the info, and decide what's best.

To the OP, just go out (or in this case stay in) and shoot, and you'll eventually see what you paid for.

10. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Just off to bed now, as I said I'll do a couple of shots tomorrow. Nothing special just a chest of drawers from my chair or maybe my guitars.

I set the camera to max aperture using the A setting on the wheel and I limited the ISO to 200. I'll do the same tomorrow.

Cheers

Phil

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Set the aperture and shutter speed, and let the ISO float, and you'll see a difference!

Also, try focusing on something up close, and you'll see a difference in background blur, too.

12. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I get that, but I still contend that in many cases too often people are recommended to rush out and buy lenses without enough of an idea of why the lens would be an improvement, or if they would even enjoy the focal length in the case of a prime.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the OP is expecting the photo to be brighter. The camera is adjusting either the ISO or the shutter speed so they should be exposed equally. Neither will be brighter. It's recommended to use a "brighter" lens (called that because it allows more light in with a larger aperture) for indoor photography so that shutter speeds are fast enough to capture frames without blur from motion and you can use ISO values that are low enough so that they are not filled with noise.

14. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    That's the idea which is why I set the iso to 200, 800 on my Ixus800is was almost as grainy as a sport shot with a super fast film.
    I guess I have a lot to learn and even more to understand.
    Anyone know any good books? I noticed on Amazon that there are some books dedicated to certain cameras, it would be nice to find a third party written user guide for this camera:wink:

Phil

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's not about the equipment, it's about the theory. Buy and read Bryan Petersons Understanding Exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    +1 - Best book for learning about the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ASA/ISO.

17. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Fair enough... but Phil, what camera do you have? I couldn't find it in this thread.

18. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    OP has a Panny G3

19. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone, my wife is buying me the Understanding Exposure" book for my birthday Feb 10th :2thumbs:

I must be doing something wrong, I'm definitely getting more satisfying results with the kit 14-42 zoom lens in iA mode than with the 20mm. They are brighter and have greater depth of field in focus. I don't want background defocus when I visit stately homes, I want as much as possible in focus. So many people told me to get this lens. I'm starting to think I made a big mistake :frown:

I'll definitely post some the weekend, can I post direct or should I use image shack?

Phil