New 20/1.7 and 45/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by IcemanYVR, Nov 29, 2012.

1. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    So I am now the proud owner of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the 45mm f/1.8 lenses... got a great deal on both of them today (2 different sellers) on Craigslist. Both like new with receipts and all original packaging.

So... I still need to find a home (camera) for them. Still going back and forth between the GX1, G5, and EM-5. At least I know what lenses I want :wink:

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    That's a superb combo, those two lenses.

Personally, the EM-5's IBIS with primes would be the deciding factor were I in your shoes, but it does have a higher cost, too...

3. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    undecided on the body... really like the EM-5 much more now that I've had a chance to hold and operate it with the half grip... and I also just picked up the 45-175 which was another lens on my list.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    The G5 felt very good in my hand, but I already paid for the EM-5 and as good as the G3 and G5 or the GX1 are, the OMD is a better camera in my opinion. I personally need the 5x IBIS. :)

Worth the $$$$. Now I don't wish for another camera.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If you have the money the E-M5 is the way to go - the IBIS is outstanding. At a better price point you can find some terrific deals on the E-P3. The IBIS is not as good, but still quite effective and it's a fine camera. :cool:

6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    EM-5 definiteley for the IBIS alone, those 2 lenses are fantastic on the EM-5, both are sharp, the O45 is very sharp, and I'm finding it hard to use anything but those 2 at the moment.

I got a great used deal on my E-M5, the guy had big hands and couldn't get on with it, only 145 shutter actuations, never been outdoors, original receipt 2 months old, and all the accessories still sealed up.

7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Another vote for EM-5.

I have a GX-1 as my second body (got a great deal from Amazon Warehouse, not even $300) and I prefer my EM-5 far far above it.

8. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I've been wondering if I would think that, I do realize it has the best IQ

IBIS is not a big deal for me, but I'm hoping to find a good deal on a lightly used one in the next few days...

I didn't like the EM-5 at all until I finally had a chance to try it with the half grip, makes all the difference in the world. But even adds more to the price.

Seems to be the concensus... now only if I could get someone to buy my 70-200 VR :wink:

9. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Good for you Allan. How did you find those? I've been looking for the 20 1.7 in Vancouver and haven't been able to find a used one (only found one on Craigslist but was marked at 399.00).
    Enjoy!

10. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Here's one, he's located in the west end and was willing to take $300. That was yesterday: PANASONIC LUMIX 20MM F1.7 LENS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

I just found one closer to me and he was willing to drive out so I chose that one instead.

11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Thanks Allan - appreciate the help.

The 45 is tempting as well. That will be my next purchase.

12. TweakMDS

TweakMDS Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    Michael
    I bought a 20mm 1.7 a week before I even got an e-pl5, but the combo is fantastic. Initially paired my 20mm with a samyang 7.5mm FE and have been delighted with the combo.
    I'm seriously considering the 45mm 1.8 as well, but it will have to compare with the Canon 85mm 1.8 and 100mm macro on my 5D and that's a VERY tall order.

Still, it's not an expensive lens at all, so I might have to make some room in the gear budget for it.

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, it comes close. Here's how the 45mm f/1.8 on the GH2 does against the 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8 macro on the Canon 5D.

Compare Lenses 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8, & 45mm f/1.8

It isn't quite as sharp, but considering that its resolution is literally cut in half by being upside to a FF sensor (DxO up-sizes everything to 135mm format for comparison purposes), the 45mm does impressively well. It also has been distortion, vignetting characteristics than either of those Canon lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TweakMDS

TweakMDS Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    Michael
    Thanks for that, I forgot all about DxO's comparison features, altough I'm used to taking DxO's results with a grain of salt. It's very difficult to make a reasonable comparison between two different lenses across systems. The 85mm 1.8 would probably suck on m43 since it's resolution is not only cut in half, but divided by 4!

The main difference is of course the extreme shallow depth of field that the 85mm lens offers on full frame. Effectively there's two stops between them - if you only consider the DoF, making the Oly a 90mm f/3.5.

Another difference - as you said - is in vignetting, but it never really bothers me.

Still, I've had some very nice shots with the 85mm among which are wedding pics that are hanging in people's living rooms, shots for an album cover and one of my own all time favorites.