New 2 m43...Hi !

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Livnius, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi all, any advice for this newbie ?

After many years as a keen point & shooter (canon ixus) I have finally decided to make a king overdue step-up. My interest in photography now means my camera and seeing a photo is no longer just an afterthought, it is now a focal point every time I step outside and go somewhere interesting.

I have done a fair bit of reading and have for various reasons decided that m43 is the way to go for me. I will be spending 3 months traveling and snowboarding BC and Alberta at the end of the year and feel it will be the perfect opportunity to finally learn and grow as an enthusiast photography. But I am hoping to purchase a new camera before then to in a basic way, familiarize myself a little with the camera on a technical level.

Having excluded the fuji x100 (despite its amazing IQ) it seems too problematic for a newbie. I have also excluded a full blown DSLR due to it's size being a 'light travel' inconvenience. I am though, really attracted to the G3 as an option, do you guys believe it would be a good option as a 'step up' camera for a person like myself and do you believe it has the qualities to make a good all- purpose (landscape, street, travel) camera ?

I must add, I absolutely adore what I have seen on flickr coming from re gf1, is it just me or does that camera in particular 'inspire' genuine creativity in it's obviously proud owners, it seems that way to me. On that note, I am looking to make a purchase about October time, even I am curious what a GF pro will be :)

Thanks for reading, and all replies much appreciated.

Greeting from Australia :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome. M43 is a funny beast, it may not be the super duper noise free picture taking marvel but it sure does inspire loyalty and genuine affection. No matter flavor you decide on and there are tons of us with opinions no matter what you choose, but in the end it's all good.

Welcome to the clubhouse...we'll e-mail you instructions fo the secret handshake. :biggrin:

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks.

It seams contrary to hopes most camera model updates tend to disappoint to some degree, Oly certainly hasn't pleased very many of it's disciples with the new pen3's...panny on the other hand seams to have generally impressed with the G3. Dispute the hit and miss track record I really do hope that the rumored GFpro delivers something special, I have until late October, if we have nothing by then I will gladly settle for the G3 at that point.

As much as I would love to jump in feet first now and pick up a g3, the only thing stopping me is that faint glimmer of optimistic (deluded) hope that in a few months time a pro model GF will take me another step closer to the IQ awesomeness of the x100.

One can only hope ;)

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Welcome to the forum.

Gordon

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Livnius and welcome from another aussie.

6. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Firstly, welcome, another Aussie, yours truly is from down south Melbourne.

In my opinion, the GF will only become smaller and geared to be very similar to a P&S camera. It is targeted at P&S user wanting a 'DSLR' feel by having interchangable lens. GF1 was pana first attempt to test how the market accepts the interchangable lens idea, whist keeping most of the manual adjustment of a DSLR. Then of course, you have the GF3, the no brainer, pick up and use camera, so simple that it loses it hot shoe.

If you feel that you have gain significant confidence and control using a P&S camera, then i think the GF series might benefit you. However, if you want a portable, interchangable lens camera, with the appreciation of an EVF, then the G3 might be the one.

I've got a GF1, and i absolutely love it. However i'm looking to evolve to a G3, but still unsure. I'm like you, using P&S initially, and wanted a challenge, and do not want the bulk of a full fledge DSLR.

I suggest, go a pick up a mft, Oly or Pana, your choice, then go from there. You can only discover yourself by trying.

hope I helped.

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

hey mate from another aussie. Glad you found this forum and I'm sure it'll be worth you while choosing a m43 camera. I own a GF1 and love it due to the fact of the build quality and the solid feel. And as a bonus the pictures are amazing.

If I were to purchase another camera (other than a Leica) it would probably be a G3. A newer sensor with slightly more Mpixels and I think is a little better in the area of noise.( Saying that though, the GF1 does an excellent job when coupled with the 20mm 1.7

If you end up getting a G3 or GF1 you wont be disappointed.

The GF1 has a good battery life as well.

Here's a picture I took the other day with the GF1 and 20mm.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5895078223/" title="Old plough bits and odds by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="575" alt="Old plough bits and odds"></a>

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Welcome! I guess if I were just 'jumping in' and temped to wait until October for the ProGF/EP4,etc, I'd take advantage of the 2nd hand market for great m43 cams.

The market for m43 is maturing. Great bodies, like the GF1, EP1, Epl1/2 (or G1/2,etc, if you want built-in evf) have largely stabilized in price. This means you can jump in now, really get a feel for what you want, start collecting cool legacy glass, TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS!, and not be out more than $50-100 when the next great Pro X comes out.

Just my 2 cents...

Enjoy!

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Great to hear from you guys, as a newbie your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated and are a valuable resource as I look to begin the next phase of my photography adventure. Great to see some Aussies here too :)

Was lucky enough to find some amazing photos highlighting the landscape photography potential of the gf1 from the David Clapp website....stunning!!! ...it goes to show what one can achieve with the right combination of creativity, inspiration, learning and experience. Hopefully over the coming weeks as more and more people take delivery of their G3 we will see more online galleries of what it is capable of as well.

thearne3: what you said really resonates. The pleasure of taking a whole heap of photos and beginning my practical learning will be far more valuable to me then just waiting around for some as yet non existant 'pro' model and would be well worth the $50 or $100 loss if I did in fact sell up later this year if an amazing new m43 does released.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree that the best way is to jump in and take lots of pictures. I have been through 3 m43 bodies and quite a few lenses. There are enough folks that simply must have the latest and greatest so they upgrade whenever new gear comes out. Every body and lens I have was bought used (most with very little wear and tear) and then I get to play with them and see what I like and do not like. I take good care of my stuff and sell off what I do not care for or am not using. The cost tends to even out.

Legacy glass is terrific fun and the best part is it can go with any m43 body so that investment is never lost. You will also find that using legacy glass on m43 can be a blast.

Finally, I would suggest handling the different cameras. For the longest time I wanted a GF1 then I went out and handled one and while I did like it I also handled a G2 and never looked back. I found one a guy was selling because he bought the kit for the lens and sold the unused body for cheap. Everyone is different however. Go see what feels right to you and go from there.

Again...welcome to the community and have fun.