1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New 14mm - Quick walk around the house

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Alanroseman, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello folks,

unpacked the new silver GF2- removed the 14mm, and stuck on the G1. It looks tiny.

Took a quick walk through the family room and dining room. Very little post, mostly to square things up as I'm not used to the FOV. It's not the 20 by any means, but it's not chopped liver either...

I have a real urge to compare it to the 14-45 at 14mm pretty darn quick.

f5.0

15mm_f5_0.

f4.5

14mm_f4_5.

f3.5

14mm_f3_5.

f4.0

14mm_f_4_0.

f2.5

14mm_f_2_5.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    first.....those images look great.... better than I thought. Secondly, can I come live in your house. Seriously, you have a beautiful home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Lovely...you have a very "woody" home. It's so neat and tidy. I have an eight year old and I don't think my house has looked that tidy in years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Luke,

Thanks. I've been here for 31 years....

Cheers, Alan

ps. You can if you have a great job and would like to become our primary care provider...

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOVE the house Alan

(oh yeah, nice lens, too)

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Alan

Such a beautiful home.

The 14: try it for street and environmental portraits, and try it for landscapes. A very nice lens.

7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Nice home, Alan! In fact, it's very nice that I think the lens became secondary :smile:

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Your house is making me cry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lol I think your lovely house is overshadowing the fact that it was shot with the 14mm.

"Lens? What lens? Just look at that marvelous interior!" :biggrin:

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I bet it would look like a run-down old shack were it not for the 14mm! :thumbup:

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Phew look at all that wood...REALLLY NICE house! :2thumbs:

12. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Wood - beautiful wood, I forgot! Nice lens, too - but beautiful beautiful home.

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Alan, I've seen photos of your house before and, as everyone else is saying, its really beautiful. I'm sure you enjoy living in it far more than we enjoy looking at it.

The lens will probably only be marginally sharper than the kit lens at 14mm - nothing I'd probably even notice. But its a bit better in low light and there's just SOMEthing about walking around with a prime lens and framing with it, knowing its your only option. I really love it and that's one of my favorite focal lengths, so that lens always spends a lot of time on whatever m43 body I have. It looked pretty silly on the GH2, like the camera had a pimple on its caved in nose, but it looks just right on the Pen and GF style cameras.

Enjoy!

-Ray

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Everyone.

Thanks so much for all of the compliments on my home.

Parts of it are very very old, in fact, one portion not in the images was originally a 1 room school house, The Willis School. That portion now serves as the kitchen, my office, a bedroom, and a bath.

There is another loft style room above the dining room which served as the original master bedroom, now a guest room.

It all looks so much better based on being shot with the 14mm, I'm sure of it.

Ray: I'll bet your right as far as IQ goes between it and the 14-45 zoom, which is a pretty darn nice little lens. Still though, inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks again everyone for all the compliments, I think I probably should have shot something a little more vanilla.

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, but now you have to do a full shoot of your house. We'll be looking for that post! :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

Amazing Pictures! , the colours are Fantastic , did you use any colour settings?

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I say we meet up at Alan's place for a get together. How could you not have a good time in such a cool place...?

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm in ;)

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Alan, I'm the 427th person to mention it, but still: lovely home! :thumbup: The pictures have a clean look, very attractive, probably because distortion is low. In the last 2 pictures it looks like it loses contrast at f/2.5, the flower picture at f/4 has much more punch to it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, well, all very true, but until we gather there for an Mu-43 meeting, there will always be the sucpicion that such a cool place is the result of extreme PS skills...:biggrin: