New 14-42?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cdharris, Jul 17, 2011.

1. cdharris

cdharris New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2011
    Is the 14-42 kit lens which comes with the EP-3 any different or better than the 14-42 that came with my EP-1? I thought I read somewhere that this was a new and improved lens, but now I can't find anything mentioned about it and the specs look the same. Thanks.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yes it is designed for silent focus in movie mode. It was first released with the E-pl2. I don't think there have been any design/glass changes for the newest 3 series of cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The E-P3 spec has some new cosmetic changes to the zoom ring but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it is any different internally to the MkII version introduced with the E-PL2.

4. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi!
    As far as I know the new IIR is optically identical with the MK II version of this lens. There is a significant difference between the MK I and MK II. See one of my old postings about different 14-42s from Oly:

... A few days ago I got the mFT 14-42 II. It is a nice step better in terms of build quality with a smoothly damped zoom ring (compared to the old mFT lens). The FT 14-42 is still the build quality king in this triplet.
    The AF speed is much better than both other lenses and sharpness and CA also seem to be superior at least to the older mFT 14-42...

Stefan

5. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i thought the new mkii was also designed for the speedier af of the ep3?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Mark II MSC version (which was introduced with the E-PL1s in Japan and the E-PL2 in the rest of the world) can be updated through firmware to match the AF speed of the new R version (which is coming with the E-P3).

So technically they are not the same, but they can be made to be the same. The only physical differences that can't be "updated" should be cosmetic (nicer zoom ring, cover ring on the front, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  7. cdharris

cdharris New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2011
    Sounds like I will want the new 14-42 when I buy the E-P3. Thanks.

8. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    Ned,
    Does that mean the AF speed between the EP3+1442 R and EPL2 1442 II (firmware updated) is the same?

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    That's what they're saying...:thumbup: