New 12-100 but anomalies in front element

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hey guys, a friend of mine just got a new 12-100. Everything seemed fine:

1600574762965.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

However when viewing it in the light from the side he saw this:

1600574848755.png

1600581850537.png

I'm not sure what it is. Some kind of fungus? But how would it get in there, its supposed to be weathersealed isn't it? or since it's not internal zooming there's still a chance. Does anyone else with a 12-100 see this?

So far whatever it is is outside the FoV @12mm but its disconcerting esp if it grows.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm... I don't think it's fungus. More like a bad glue job. He should return or exchange it.
Hmm we did some googling and this was the closest match we found.

What stands out to me are those vertical tendrils on his copy. They seem to match whats shown in the magnification above.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
It may be new, but has it been waiting, stored in a poor situation prior to shipping and sales. Send it back.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
"sending it back" is a lot harder to do when you're in the middle of the caribbean sea, a thousand miles from the nearest service center :)

Took a very long time getting down here because of the pandemic hence why we were looking for confirmation of what it was. Even "free" warranty replacements cost us hundreds in USD in shipping charges. We're waiting for a response from Adoroma/Olympus

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe asking the obvious but since it wasn't mentioned yet, I assume you guys tried cleaning it to determine it is not on the front surface?

Also not likely "glue" since typically elements are not glued in but instead held in place by the front bezel. If you peeled off the front ring (usually sticky taped in place) you will likely find three screws holding down a bezel clamping the front lens in place. You can then remove the front element to try cleaning it, if you don't get satisfaction from Olympus that is.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here's the media for the fungus removable above for anyone interested. Comments are interesting.

Here's the cutaway of the 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens:

Given elements 1 and 2 are likely glued, that pretty much means you need to replace that group for either fungus or bad cementing. If it's on the back of element 2 or front or back of element 3, you might access them from the front with some disassembly. You might have some luck in applying some of the cleaning methods in the video above.

However, I will say whenever I tried to get rid of fungus the thing never worked as well as prior if the fungus attacked the coating. The coating is part of the design for the RBG rays to converge on same spot and removing it causes some chroma errors and subsequent image softness. Might make for a good portrait lens though.

Personally, it's a lemon and I would ask for a replacement or refund. Buying the lens tool and dealing with a questionable outcome isn't worth it being new.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Maybe asking the obvious but since it wasn't mentioned yet, I assume you guys tried cleaning it to determine it is not on the front surface?

Also not likely "glue" since typically elements are not glued in but instead held in place by the front bezel. If you peeled off the front ring (usually sticky taped in place) you will likely find three screws holding down a bezel clamping the front lens in place. You can then remove the front element to try cleaning it, if you don't get satisfaction from Olympus that is.
yeah we checked , its not in the front.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Oh, I wondered about that. Thanks for the explanation. As it was brand-spanking new I wondered if it could be delamination/seperation which seems to be more common in older lenses.

Exteme examples of this visible here http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Lens-Delamination-Separation.html

Hey guys, a friend of mine just got a new 12-100. Everything seemed fine:

View attachment 848064

However when viewing it in the light from the side he saw this:

View attachment 848065

View attachment 848066

I'm not sure what it is. Some kind of fungus? But how would it get in there, its supposed to be weathersealed isn't it? or since it's not internal zooming there's still a chance. Does anyone else with a 12-100 see this?

So far whatever it is is outside the FoV @12mm but its disconcerting esp if it grows.
SEND IT BACK!
RETURN IT!
DO NOT ACCEPT IT!
IT'S DEFECTIVE!

Did I make myself clear? ... :rofl:

Last edited:

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Took some closeup shots of it with my O60. In the right light its It's actually beautiful.

Still waiting to hear from Olympus.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
this looks like such a deliberate and elaborate nature sabotage,
if it spreads this way much more this lens may well be auctioned as artwork in the future

however I think it is glue or failed coating application

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom