New 1" Panasonic Superzoom

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by drd1135, Dec 30, 2015.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Unless the camera is huge the EVF looks tiny.... :(

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The Panny ZS/TZ line is pretty amazing, actually. A few years ago my wife was unhappy with the 28mm equiv. wide focal length of a Sony that she had but didn't/doesn't want to carry a big camera. I bought her a ZS10, which was an amazing little performer with 24mm at the wide end and a 16x zoom. Last summer, I bought her a ZS50 which added RAW capability, an EVF, and a bunch of other neat features. It was slightly bigger but she's so happy with the EVF that she doesn't care. Now, along comes this one with a larger sensor. I'll be very interested in seeing its overall size in person compared to the ZS50. Sorry to see that the wide end is spec'd at 25mm though.

We travel a lot and for each trip she makes a Shutterfly photo record book. Truth be told, there is rarely any technical reason to choose between her ZS shots and my GX7 shots. This is particularly true now that she is shooting RAW. Really it's only in low light that her camera is at a disadvantage and that is rarely an issue for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Poor old M4/3. One minute it's too small, the next minute it's too big :p:p:p

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. I wrote an article on travel cameras for a travel magazine a few years ago. My first suggestion was that the reader should go to a store or two and handle some cameras to determine for him/herself what was the largest camera they were willing to carry, because that would drive almost everything else --- low light performance, lens choices, EVF availability, etc.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I was just teasing, but it amuses me what a fickle bunch we are. One minute we are asking if M4/3 can compete with full frame, the next we are getting excited over a new 1 inch sensor compact.

This looks exactly what I was looking for when I bought my RX100. I've always been fond of the Panasonic cameras we've had and whilst the RX100 packs a punch for what it is, it has its shortcomings too. I doubt I could justify the TZ100 launch price, I tend to buy during mid life promotions or end of life clearance, but it's one I'll be keeping an eye on.

7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Life's too short to worry about the price if it doesn't burn a big hole in your budget. Buy it and be happy. I may be doing that.

8. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I'll certainly take a look at it when it's released. I'm not in the market right now, but I'd be happy to have an even more pocketable camera in the coming months.

That EVF does look tiny though!

20MP in such a tiny sensor compares with 20MP on M43. Hmmm.... let's see what the quality is like. If it's good enough then maybe they can upscale to M43 :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    I hope this is "25-250 equivalent in FF".
    A 1" sensor has a 2.7 crop factor. A real 25-250 lens would be equivalent to 67.5-675 in FF, which would be utterly unusable.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oh, I know you were teasing. But I don't agree that we are necessarily fickle. I have literally hundreds of tools, each with a purpose. I don't think I'm being fickle when I ignore my Snap-On #2 Phillips screwdriver in favor of a Wiha 1mm blade screwdriver to tighten eyeglass screws. Same-o I don't think I'm being fickle when I buy a ZS50 that meets my wife's requirements vs an M43 camera that doesn't.

Re buying, I am with you. Wait for the early adopters to do their thing, then get the item on sale or buy used. In this case, I'd suggest you wait until the new camera has been in the market for a little while, then shop the ZS50. They will probably be in the $200 range. I think there is a ZS40, too, that omits the GPS (which we don't use anyway). I seriously doubt that you could tell the difference between the ZS40/50 and the new one except in extreme low light situations. Plus the new one is almost certain to be bigger.

Re life being short, I think there is an increasing number of people working into their 70s and even 80s because they opted for instant gratification when they were younger. I was at Home Depot a while back and the clerk apologized for having trouble processing a return, saying "I'm new here." She had to be at least 70 years old! Sad. So I am not at all ashamed to call myself a cheapskate and to hunt deals on just about everything, including my camera equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Yep, I'm sorry, your are completely right (though my comment was a generic observation and not directed at any one in particular). That is why I'm still using 3 different formats, each one serving a particular purpose. I did try a couple of 1/1.7" sensor compact models when I bought the RX100 and didn't gel with them, but of course everyone's requirements and expectations are different. My wife still uses and loves the TZ7 I bought her for her 40th.

Life is too short and if I took home another camera right now I think mine would end both abruptly and violently :eek-31::eek-31: I have enough cameras for now and have to prioritise, supporting 2 kids through higher education, one has just totalled her car, the other has just obtained their driving license. They are making frequent withdraws from the Bank of MumNDad.

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It is a 9.1-91mm lens. So it is indeed 25-250 equivalent.

A 67.5-675mm would be unmarketable, but if it was actually that small with a 1" sensor, it would win a lot of fans for hikers and wildlife photographers.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For me I'm look at this as an alternative to a 14-140 zoom, not as an m4/3 replacement.

But I have said before, I think these larger sensor compacts are a serious threat to m4/3 and the like. People who pick m4/3 are already willing to sacrifice a little sensor size for portability. This is another small step for a HUGE gain in portability over a m4/3 body with a 14-140.

I can imagine a lot of people who might pick an LX100 and this new TZ100 as an alternative to an m4/3 camera and a small bag full of lenses.

14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Interesting. I would probably be more interested in a shorter brighter zoom, but looks like Panasonic is holding off on that. Perhaps to protect LX100?

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That is already a saturated market.

RX100 1, 2, 3, and 4 (all still for sale), Canon G5X, G7X, and G9X, and Panasonic's own LX100 all in the same focal range with a spread of features and prices.

This is uncharted territory, and highly desirable territory from a market point of view.

It won't compete with ILC systems in low light, but my 14-140 isn't particularly useful in those circumstances either.

If the lens is decent, and the street price ends up around $700 or less, I'd be tempted to sell my 14-140 and pick this up.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Perhaps. An LX100 and this camera would make a great pair. But I can see an LX8 with a one-inch sensor, integrated flash and f/1.4-2.3 lens as well.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you followed Pany then you would notice that past TZ/ZS series had 12x to 30x zooms and 10x is shorter one.