1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Never shot Olympus. I have a long weekend with an EM5ii. any tips?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Generationfourth, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    My biggest question right now is about focusing. I love the panasonic rangefinders with the offset EVF which gives ability to touchscreen focus while looking through the EVF. Can I do something similar with the em5ii? I understand that physically this may not be possible but I want to know how you guys are focusing.

And any tips for a panasonic user that is new to olympus? I've been skimming the manual and feel brave enough to tackle these menus.

Background:
    Looking for something more ergonomic/direct control to use as a main body. I don't want just a bigger version of the GM5 (GX7, g7, etc). I want a body that can offer a lot more and I'm warming up to the idea that Olympus has some features worth looking at (stabilization, live time, customizability).

Thanks!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you've ever used a DSLR before, the Olympus controls are pretty much the same type of thing.

Focus wise, I use the rear dpad to move the focus point or use the rear LCD and use the touch feature to figure and trip the shutter.

Feature wise, it depends on what you want to use if the Oly is right for you.
    Check out the hi res mode. Also, update to the newest firmware and check out the focus bracketing features. Live composite can be nice if that is what you are looking for.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Sadly, I believe that Olympus only introduced the Touchpad AF feature with the E-M10 II. So unless it was added in a firmware update (I don't believe so?) the E-M5 II doesn't have the ability to use the touchscreen with your eye to the EVF.

It's addictive, and a very valuable feature, for sure!

Hopefully they will implement it on the E-M1 II, as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    :/ The touchscreen focus might be a deal breaker but I will do my best to overlook it.

I've actually never used a dslr before. I went from film straight to micro 4/3. I am excited for the dual dials and 2x2 switcher. I'm not a fan of using the D-pad to move the focus point so hopefully I will find a way to focus quickly. I can possibly keep the single target centered and just reframe the shot (like I did with my GF1) but that seems a bit archaic.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Center point refocusing is not bad, so long as you are not substantially moving your focus plane.

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I just use the multi-controller to move the focus dot around and triggered the shutter with the shutter button.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    I plan on using the fn1 button for AF lock (what I'm used to). I will look into the multi-controller method you mentioned as it seems interesting. Reading through the manual I don't fully understand the multi-controller so I will experiment once I have the camera.

Thanks.

8. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Ok, I need help.

1. I want to set up FN1 as AF lock only. So half press of the shutter focuses, I can lock the focus and take shots without the camera refocusing. I'm beginning to think it's not possible?

2. I can't set a FN button to silent shutter?

9. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Pretty sure touchpad focusing was added to the EM5II and EM1 in the latest firmware update. Assuming the camera is updated, double tap the rear screen while looking through the EVF to enable it.

It;s not very good though, too jerky and un-sensitive. I went back to using the 4-way controller or move the focus point.

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nope... E-M10II only. The hardware on the older models doesn't appear to support it.

11. markdo

markdo New to Mu-43

Nov 18, 2015
    I use small center focussing most of the time. I also set the front (preview) button to HP for returning the focal point back to center.