Netflix series recommendations

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
F. W. Murnau - Nosferatu
The original 1922 movie. True classic.

The composition and the usage of 1922 tech is just astounding! This is the full length, US version, released in 1929. As there's no sound, the only difference between the original, 1922 German version, and this, are the dialogue cards.

Few modern films are anything close to this standard, all CGI, colour, sound, and modern technology notwithstanding...

In a court case, Bram Stoker's widow, Florence Stoker, got a ruling to destroy all copies of the film.
A few survived...

DISCLAIMER: Any offense taken/given is purely accidental and entirely due to my own inaneness

Last edited:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Currently watching Queen's Gambit. I can't believe this fictional mini series about a chess prodigy is so compelling. I have zero interest in chess but am really loving the show.
Started watching this based partly on your comment. You aren't kidding! There hasn't been a bad episode yet, I think I'm 5 or 6 in. Excellent.

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am a pretty avid chess fan/player and was surprised when I started seeing photos of a very pretty girl on almost every chess web, not saying that there aren't pretty women chess players but it turned out to be the actress for this show which I finally watched, the best part imo is the fact that the producer or whomever also is a very serious chess person and had done the movie searching for Bobby Fischer which I think they used a lot of his life for inspiration in the series.BUT as far as shows I do like the more cutting edge shows and have watched the first season of zero zero zero I actually think it might be on amazon prime but its got a lot of hooks.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since I'm a pilot, friends got me hooked into watching "Ice Pilots - NWT" on Amazon Prime, but it shows as being on Netflix too. https://flixlist.co/titles/80118614

"Ice Pilots - NWT" is a reality television documentary series about Buffalo Airways which is an airline based in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Buffalo flies WWII-era propeller planes year-round in the Canadian North and has to deal with snow, ice, engine failures in flight, to remote settlements, etc.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I'm thinking seriously about canceling Netflix. Their new price increase is jut a bit over the top. $18/month to stream second run movies is too much. The only redeeming feature is the series. There are other options.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Through 2021 Warner Bros will be releasing their entire slate of 17 movies on HBO Max. Sounds like a bargain. Available to stream on the same day as the theatrical release. Matrix 4, Dune remake, Godzilla vs. Kong, and The Sopranos, amongst others. Afaik not available in the UK.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
That is the premium pricing. Maybe you should evaluate if you even use the premium features and if not drop to the standard plan for $14
If you mean simultaneous multiple streaming, we do it all of the time. Family would need to make adjustments, which seems silly for $4/month. On the other hand, $18/month doesn't!

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm thinking seriously about canceling Netflix. Their new price increase is jut a bit over the top. $18/month to stream second run movies is too much. The only redeeming feature is the series. There are other options.

There are many options for sure, but given the amount and quality of content on Netflix it still seems like the biggest bargain out there. I don't think Hulu, Prime, Disney+, HBO Max and AppleTV combined surpass it. Those are the services I have or have tried. Traditional network TV is laughable, not in a good way, as is most of what's on "cable". Sports is still a draw for traditional TV service, but even that is slowly being unwound. If I could unbundle my cable tv from my crappy wifi service I'd be done with it in a flash.

That being said, if you can get by with less "content", more power to you.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
We have Cable Disney +, Starz Streaming, Amazon Prime, not to mention all of the stuff on Roku. Many of these were obtained through special deals. We got Starz through some college student deal from my son.

I suspect that if I cancel Netflix there would be a considerable gnashing of teeth for a short period, but it would eventually subside and life would go on. If I were to just drop to the basic plan I'd end up having an argument every time two of us wanted to watch something at the same time. This would be in perpetuity.

In any event, I can't cancel it until I've finished The Queen's Gambit!

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We have Cable Disney +, Starz Streaming, Amazon Prime, not to mention all of the stuff on Roku. Many of these were obtained through special deals. We got Starz through some college student deal from my son.

I suspect that if I cancel Netflix there would be a considerable gnashing of teeth for a short period, but it would eventually subside and life would go on. If I were to just drop to the basic plan I'd end up having an argument every time two of us wanted to watch something at the same time. This would be in perpetuity.

In any event, I can't cancel it until I've finished The Queen's Gambit!

Definitely finish Queen's Gambit. Good stuff for sure. I'm sure you're right about having no Netflix being way better than the basic plan and family strife. Our house has 3 people and 3 floors. Each of us having a living space may be all that gets us to the other side of covid-related togetherness in one piece.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Started watching this based partly on your comment. You aren't kidding! There hasn't been a bad episode yet, I think I'm 5 or 6 in. Excellent.
Glad you're enjoying it. There's also a ton of Youtube videos analyzing plot and design details (lighting, colour, wardrobe, make-up) in the movie.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Never did dump Netflix. New series The Lost Pirate Kingdom is pretty good. I was a pirate-o-phile when I was a kid, back then they weren't sure if Blackbeard was Edward Thatch or Edward Teach, though most books called him Teach. Seems now they've settled on Thatch. Books from my youth painted him as a murdering bloodthirsty sociopathic madman, now they're saying there is no proof he ever killed anyone, and in fact warned his men against it when possible. As for being mad...well...Syphilis will do that to you.

Well worth the watch, although this being Season 1 I'm not sure where they go from here. They started with the Privateers and moved into Piracy. They've covered Jennings, Hornigold, Bellamy, etc. Not much mention of Kidd, and Anne Bonny shows up only as a sidebar so far.

Real Name
Andrew L
Rare's game Sea of Thieves is pretty much the best pirate fantasy anyone could ask for. It's a cooperative online game with lush, cartoony world and dozens of different voyages and things to do, all with the lingering dread of other pirates literally murdering you and stealing all your plunder.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Rare's game Sea of Thieves is pretty much the best pirate fantasy anyone could ask for. It's a cooperative online game with lush, cartoony world and dozens of different voyages and things to do, all with the lingering dread of other pirates literally murdering you and stealing all your plunder.
I refuse to believe any pirate game can beat the good old Monkey Island games!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)

About the thread subject, I'm not sure if this serie is in Netflix, but I surely recommend it. It's Gomorra, Italian mob stuff in a modern context. It's a bit different than the American stuff, in a good way. Kind of slow for great atmosphere, but at the same time a lot happens. I like how it is directed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049116/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Real Name
Andrew L
I refuse to believe any pirate game can beat the good old Monkey Island games!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)
Oh man. I loved the feel of those games. I'd say that (if you ignore the fact that the old games were completely narrative based, whereas the new one is all about emergent player narratives) if there's any game today that approaches the atmosphere and humor of Monkey Island, it's Sea of Thieves. Rare isn't LucasArts, but they're close!

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Regular
I watched Season 3 of "Drive to Survive". It's every bit as good as the first two seasons, especially episode 6!

Latest threads

Top Bottom