Netflix series recommendations

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Just found out I have new-onset diabetes. Part of my routine is now exercise (go figure). I bought a stationary bike that also has upper body apparatus and plant myself in front of the TV with the intent of pedaling my butt off. Literally. I'm down 8 lbs. in about a month. Yay me!

While pedaling, I like to watch episodes of something I normally wouldn't take the time to. So far I've watched the new season of Lost in Space and the first seasons of the Witcher and Thieves in the Wood. and started The Crown last night. I also have the first two seasons of Frontier, The Last Kingdom, and Peaky Blinders under my belt, but seem to have lost interest. I will probably catch up on Frontier and the Last Kingdom, but I Peaky Blinders went out in left field.

What I've learned is that I get through these really fast. These shows are usually only 8 episodes per season, so I'm looking for something new in just over a week. The Crown is 3 seasons so that will last me a while, but I'm looking for recommendations for future watching.

What are your favorites?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Try The Outlander if you like Scotland and history. Not so dense in content you cannot catch up, and the scenery is wonderful. Violence and sex is muted in comparison to Game of Thrones, but enough to make the storyline zip along. Four seasons of it should keep you pedalling for a while.... :)

1. Godless
2. Better call Saul (especially if you have seen Breaking bad)
3. World War 2 in color.
4. Dracula
5. Stranger things
6. The fall
7. Ozark
8. The Kettering incident
9. Narcos
10. Broad church
11. Twin peaks
12. Mind hunter

There's few more, but these were at the top of my mind. Eagerly waiting for Ozark's new season. My absolute favorite currently!

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I did see Godless, forgot I had. Great series. Not a fan of Breaking and Saul, and Stranger Things lost me. I was wondering about Dracula, looked interesting. I'll look into that, Outlander, Altered Carbon and the two Moonraker suggested.

The old Military Channel used to run WWII in Color, I've seen most of them over the years.

Keep 'em coming!

If you like mindless, watch it and forget it - The Punisher is surprisingly good watch too. Too much violence but that's the draw! I actually liked it the best among whole slew of Marvel shows before Netflix culled them.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
If you like mindless, watch it and forget it - The Punisher is surprisingly good watch too. Too much violence but that's the draw! I actually liked it the best among whole slew of Marvel shows before Netflix culled them.
Netflix didn't cull them, Disney started their subscription channel and made them exclusive. I have heard the Punisher is fun.

Mu-43 Legend
Do you have Amazon Prime? Colony is very good (that could actually be on Hulu or Netflix - I forget) and also on Amazon is Man in the High Tower. Look also for Fargo (2nd season is great) and Better Call Saul.

Apologies as I am never quite sure which services these are on.

Lately I’ve been binging Shark Tank on Hulu. I know it’s been around forever but I never really watched it before.

Edit - never mind on Saul. I see you ruled that out above. There’s another one called Goliath with billy bob thornton. I liked the first season but not the second

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
I second Broadchurch and Stranger Things. Also, a temporary subscription to CBS All Access might be worth it if you're in to Star Trek at all - I've really been enjoying Discovery so far. Brings ST into a modern, slick aesthetic and it's a bit darker than previous shows.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
If you watched WWII in Colour, then you're sure to like Age of Tanks. Originally a French production, it covers the invention of the tank in a MUCH different way than the usual storyline about Little Willie.

Buried in Netflix's library is Sense8, content is adult, but the locations and creativity of the storyline make it one of my favourites, one of the very few shows I've every watched multiple times.

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Regular
"Unbelievable" is one of the most involving and addictive dramas I have ever watched. The writing and acting is superb!

"Formula 1: Drive to Survive" Far surpassed my expectations. This miniseries focuses on the human drama of the sport, and is very entertaining, even if you know absolutely nothing about Formula 1 racing.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
We just finished the documentary series, Cheer. It's a captivating look at a champion cheerleading team's preparation for the big competition. I know it sounds lame to people who have no interest in cheerleading (eg: ME!) but it was very, very good and the stuff they do in practice and their competition is surprisingly dangerous. Mind Hunter (crime drama based on true events) is a pretty good series, too.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you don't like Breaking Bad and Saul I really can't help you. :)

But great job on dropping 8# so quickly and good luck moving forward.

moonhawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave Cherry
Band of Bothers and The Pacicfic--2@1 season mini-series about WWII in Europe and the Pacific by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielburg. Very compelling.

The forgotten Army- 5 part miniseries about WW2 in India--subtitles but superb.

Patriot--Very Quirky drama about a songwriting spy, 2 seasons, season 3 coming soon.

Counterpart--Sci-Fi meets 1984--2 seasons, we're still in the first.

Most are on Amazon Prime which I prefer to Netflix in General.

Keep pedaling--good for you. When the weather warms up, get a decent mt bike and some fresh air.

Meanwhile, I'm bookmarking this thread for the good suggestions.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
If you don't like Breaking Bad and Saul I really can't help you. :)

But great job on dropping 8# so quickly and good luck moving forward.
The Dietician said to stay on 200gms carbs/day and exercise for 150 minutes/week and I'd lose 1-2 lbs. per week. I rarely hit 200, usually around 150-175, and I exercise over 200 minutes/week. It's easy with the bike and TV. I have started eating a light breakfast which something I haven't done in over 50 years. I am allotted 40 grams each for breakfast and lunch and 75 at dinner. The remainder is for snacks.

I am astonished at how much I used to eat. I never really thought I overate but I did. I am doing just fine without second helpings and sweets, not to mention smaller portions to begin with. I made a pretty decent pumpkin pie for diabetics. We also made a sugar free peanut butter mousse, have had Greek yogurt, sugar free pudding, etc.

This shouldn't be a surprise to me, Dad was Type II and so was Grandma. She lost both legs to the disease back in the day. Still, 50 years of neglect doesn't help!

We caught it early and for that I am thankful. Had my first diabetic eye exam yesterday and they found no damage. The doc thinks if I stick with this, get my weight and blood sugar down and maintain for a year, I may be able to get off the medicine.

moonhawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave Cherry
The Dietician said to stay on 200gms carbs/day and exercise for 150 minutes/week and I'd lose 1-2 lbs. per week. I rarely hit 200, usually around 150-175, and I exercise over 200 minutes/week. It's easy with the bike and TV. I have started eating a light breakfast which something I haven't done in over 50 years. I am allotted 40 grams each for breakfast and lunch and 75 at dinner. The remainder is for snacks.

I am astonished at how much I used to eat. I never really thought I overate but I did. I am doing just fine without second helpings and sweets, not to mention smaller portions to begin with. I made a pretty decent pumpkin pie for diabetics. We also made a sugar free peanut butter mousse, have had Greek yogurt, sugar free pudding, etc.

This shouldn't be a surprise to me, Dad was Type II and so was Grandma. She lost both legs to the disease back in the day. Still, 50 years of neglect doesn't help!

We caught it early and for that I am thankful. Had my first diabetic eye exam yesterday and they found no damage. The doc thinks if I stick with this, get my weight and blood sugar down and maintain for a year, I may be able to get off the medicine.

You should read up on a keto diet--only 20 gms of carbs a day, most calories come from fat. It's controversial, don't do it lightly, but you should check it out. Many people say it has helped their diabetes tremendously. 200 g is a LOT of carbs.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
You should read up on a keto diet--only 20 gms of carbs a day, most calories come from fat. It's controversial, don't do it lightly, but you should check it out. Many people say it has helped their diabetes tremendously. 200 g is a LOT of carbs.

Am very familiar with it. Keto diets are not recommended for diabetics without physician-monitoring of ketones. Ketoacidosis is dangerous.

Diets come and go, and the quickest way to failure is going with an extreme. Smooth and steady weight loss is the goal, not a sprint, a marathon. The goals are long term and must be sustainable.

Besides all of that, there is the reduced food intake, exercise, and the fact that I don't believe I've actually had 200gms in a single day since I've been on the diet.

Lastly, it's difficult to argue with ongoing success, isn't it?

Latest threads

Top Bottom