Netflix series recommendations

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
..."Give me 200 carbs a day and 150 minutes of exercise per week, and you will drop 1.5 lbs. per week."...
I think maybe the end of that sentence is the most critical part. Slow and steady, and realistic, wins the race. Too many people adopt some kind of extreme approach because they want immediate results. Meanwhile, a reasonable approach sees you drop 40 lbs in six months, more or less. Hard to argue with that.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I think maybe the end of that sentence is the most critical part. Slow and steady, and realistic, wins the race. Too many people adopt some kind of extreme approach because they want immediate results. Meanwhile, a reasonable approach sees you drop 40 lbs in six months, more or less. Hard to argue with that.
I think this is another part of keeping it off. When you lose weight in a hurry you haven't yet established new patterns. You lose the weight, go right back to what you were doing, and the weight comes back. When you lose it over a longer period new measures become established, and eventually habit. And I think that's the key to the whole thing. You got where you are due to bad habits, you need to change that into good habits, and it takes time to do it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
think maybe the end of that sentence is the most critical part. Slow and steady, and realistic, wins the race.
It is also the explanation on how a lot of people put on weight over the years as we burn less calories in a day. If you eat exactly the right number of calories you burn in a day then your weight stays the same. Where we start adding weight is when you burn a little less than you used to or you eat a tiny bit more than you used to, little things can add up over time. A beer at night, a cookie in the afternoon, Sugar and Cream in your coffee every day, etc. 3500 calories is a pound. So if you eat an extra 500 calories a week (less than 100 a day so not much), every five weeks or so you wonder why you are another pound heavier.

Likewise, sometimes you can slowly stop the "spread" with very simple diet changes that might take a little getting used to but are not drastic. For instance, do you always use two sugars in your coffee and cream? Try one sugar and half & half, or if you already use half & half, try whole milk. It will only be about a 20 calorie savings, but at just one cup of coffee a day, in 175 days you could be a pound light just doing that. Two cups of coffee a day and that is 4 pounds over the course of a year.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Isn't there a weight loss thread somewhere?

I'm beginning to feel really out of it, with a weight of 74 kilos wearing indoor clothes. I smoke a couple of cigarettes a day, eats whatever i can get into my mouth, loves danishes, have no idea what my clothes sizes are. I just wear what fits me and wouldn't know a calorie from a SIM card if I met one. But I prefer cream (40% fat) in the coffee. Tastes SOO much better! Don't use sugars, though. And I'm also really really old, like I'd suppose most of you geezers are. PM me for my age, if you're interested!

Anyway, good on all you calorie counters! I'm supporting you! I really am!

Tonight I'm watching an old documentary:
UFO - the Unsolved Mystery. Alien Spacecraft or elaborate hoax...?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Isn't there a weight loss thread somewhere?

I'm beginning to feel really out of it, with a weight of 74 kilos wearing indoor clothes. I smoke a couple of cigarettes a day, eats whatever i can get into my mouth, loves danishes, have no idea what my clothes sizes are. I just wear what fits me and wouldn't know a calorie from a SIM card if I met one. But I prefer cream (40% fat) in the coffee. Tastes SOO much better! Don't use sugars, though. And I'm also really really old, like I'd suppose most of you geezers are. PM me for my age, if you're interested!

Anyway, good on all you calorie counters! I'm supporting you! I really am!

Tonight I'm watching an old documentary:
UFO - the Unsolved Mystery. Alien Spacecraft or elaborate hoax...?
I started this thread to get ideas for what to watch while I'm exercising because I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. Since my Dad had it and my Grandmother lost both of her legs to the disease, I decided to do something about it before it was too late. I am beating it, and am, quite frankly, pretty proud of my progress. I wasn't sure I could stick with it, but here I am almost a year later.

I have given a few updates on my progress since then. Sorry if you find it offensive or laborious. Feel free to simply not participate in the thread.

First of all, congratulations on taking charge and getting healthier.

My wife and I are watching "Teenage Bounty Hunters" (a recommendation I found on NY Times). There was unfortunately only one season but it is very well written and quite funny. Two sisters, in their teens, get involved, literally by accident, helping a bounty hunter.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I started this thread to get ideas for what to watch while I'm exercising because I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. Since my Dad had it and my Grandmother lost both of her legs to the disease, I decided to do something about it before it was too late. I am beating it, and am, quite frankly, pretty proud of my progress. I wasn't sure I could stick with it, but here I am almost a year later.

I have given a few updates on my progress since then. Sorry if you find it offensive or laborious. Feel free to simply not participate in the thread.
Not laborious. Nor offensive. Just nothing I'd like to watch on the screen. But now, after reading the OP, I realized that I may have stepped a lot out of bounds. Severely.

I was under the (obviously erroneous) impression that this was a thread about what one likes to watch.

So, sorry! Please advise me on whether I'm persona non grata, or not (pretty good chance!), on the thread!

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I started to watch the TV series The 100 on Netflix. To steal the first line from the Wiki page "The 100 (pronounced The Hundred ) is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction drama television series". It first aired in 2014.

The first episode or two was a bit predictable, but then it got better. Nothing super great about it, but entertaining for 40 minutes an episode if you like your basic Sci-Fi-ish, even if the writers clearly only barely passed many of their science and biology classes in school. Currently there is a 100 episodes on Netflix (coincidence?). I didn't check if that is all of them or later seasons are not up yet.

Also almost made it through all the Portlandia episodes (sketch comedy television series starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein) that are on Netflix of which I only have a couple left. They are short so they are nice when you want to throw something in between a binging of another series to break it up a little.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Not laborious. Nor offensive. Just nothing I'd like to watch on the screen. But now, after reading the OP, I realized that I may have stepped a lot out of bounds. Severely.

I was under the (obviously erroneous) impression that this was a thread about what one likes to watch.

So, sorry! Please advise me on whether I'm persona non grata, or not (pretty good chance!), on the thread!
Of course it is a thread about what to watch but you totally missed the context :doh: I think it was an honest mistake Erik and quite a hole to dig yourself out of now:rofl: Why not bring this back on track and make some kind of amends with a few tv recommendations.

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
I think this is another part of keeping it off. When you lose weight in a hurry you haven't yet established new patterns. You lose the weight, go right back to what you were doing, and the weight comes back. When you lose it over a longer period new measures become established, and eventually habit. And I think that's the key to the whole thing. You got where you are due to bad habits, you need to change that into good habits, and it takes time to do it.
I do not recall seeing the specifics about the original bike you began using. I would be interested in the equipment on which you started this great success.

On recommendations for viewing, the Norwegian series Occupied is compelling.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Of course it is a thread about what to watch but you totally missed the context :doh: I think it was an honest mistake Erik and quite a hole to dig yourself out of now:rofl: Why not bring this back on track and make some kind of amends with a few tv recommendations.
Not quite TV, but cool anime:

Some of you might like Appleseed.
Ghost in the Shell is a favourite.
Has been remade as a "real" movie.
The other way around: Metropolis (well, not really, but the title is there).
Tokyo Godfathers not SF, but still good.

For those of you with a little kid still inside:

Not anime, but:
Balto (sweet story about a dog)
A favourite of mine:
Billy the Cat (being a sucker for cats, am I!)

Now, I'm going to watch Berserk.

Definitely not kid stuff, that one! Also features a big ass sword you wouldn't believe. Saddam would have loved it!

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Thanks. That is the one I had seen on Amazon in the meantime!

One question: do you need a mat if you place it on a rug?
No mat, and in fact I first set it up I used it on a hardwood floor for a few weeks with no problems. For the $ it really isn't that bad of a unit. It's very quiet. One complaint, the LCD display isn't back lit. I used the hand cranks last winter but now that I've started lifting weights and rowing I no longer do.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Currently watching Queen's Gambit. I can't believe this fictional mini series about a chess prodigy is so compelling. I have zero interest in chess but am really loving the show.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
DISCLAIMER: Any offense taken/given is purely accidental and entirely due to my own inaneness

Thinking of this as a standard signature on my posts. Input graciously required. Would it be valid in a legal sense? Just want to Chobham my six...

Oh. About science. @PakkyT mentioned The Hundred. Maybe I can donald that: The 4400 - 4400 mysteriously disappeared people reappear equally mysteriously (44 episodes).

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom