Netflix series recommendations

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I didn't dislike Space Force, it was definitely chuckle-worthy. I went into it basically expecting Agent Michael Scarn character from The Office and that's what I mostly got.
I watched the last episode the other night. Same here, didn't dislike it and it is not a big commitment since each episode is roughly 30-ish minutes long and currently only 10 of them.

Sad that this was Fred Willard's last hurrah appearing briefly in a couple/few episodes.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I didn't dislike Space Force, it was definitely chuckle-worthy. I went into it basically expecting Agent Michael Scarn character from The Office and that's what I mostly got.
Correct! Once or (best case) twice an episode...
I, at least, didn't fall asleep watching it. But that script. I'm not demanding too much if I want to know why Lisa Kudrow is in jail, methinks...

Anyone watching Mindhunter? ( I haven’t been through all the pages here, sorry if I missed it). Covers the start of psychological profiling in the FBI, with novel backstories of the agents involved, and some very disturbed individuals interviewed in prison, including Charles Manson.
I have watched both the seasons. One of my favorites. And the actors do look like those individuals. Great acting and incredible attention to detail. 5/5 for me.
I’ll have to put that on my watch list - thanks!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I'm watching Person of Interest right now. It's pretty good right away, but the longer stories, characters and action really pick up in season 2-3. About a small group of vigilantes stopping deaths in NYC predicted by a secret computer.
Into the Badlands is cool if you like ultra-violent ninja fights in a post apocalyptical world.
Not all the Netflix Marvel series are great, but I really liked Daredevil and Punisher
Glow
seemed like it was going to be dumb (show about 80s female wrestling) but I really found it to be quite incredible in terms of acting and character building.
The Good Place is a witty comedy about the afterlife.
Arrested Development is pretty good, at least for the original run before Netflix revived it for a final season.
Blacklist is a pretty good show with lots of twists and turns that is mostly carried by James Spader's great acting. I think 7 seasons are on netflix.

Didn't read much of the thread so sorry if these were mentioned.

Altered Carbon was great if you like sci-fi. There’s only one season so far but I just read they are working on a second.
First season was 10/10. Second season was 2/10. There's an animated altered carbon movie on Netflix that is way better than season 2, so I'd suggest that instead if you are wanting a bit more after season 1.

Flurry of terrible Netflix OG movies continues. Da 5 Bloods, just like the name is a cheesy, clichéd, a weak sauce attempt of a movie by Netflix to cash in on BLM saga that left me.. perplexed.
I guess I am just gonna rewatch some proven, classical stuff for the time being than to gamble with Netflix's senile list of recommendations.

Well we’re excited here!

Netflix has released season 2 of ‘coisa mais linda’
(under the anglicized name of
‘girls from ipanema’)
we loved season 1....
yes it’s a novela and it’s about Rio in the ‘50s and it features LOTS of wonderful bossa-nova music...
plus the usual soap opera intrigue but it doesn’t pull any punches for political incorrectness....
👍👍👍

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Update:
As of today I have dropped 50 lbs. Down from a 40" waist to 36". When I started this I figured 36" would've been the best I could do, but with my goal of another 20-25lbs, it'll likely be a 34" waist all said and done. Shirt size has gone from XXL to L. Never thought I'd see that again. Am tried of spending good camera money on new clothes!

Finished Outlander. I won't watch any more seasons, got really bad. I continue to ride the real bike so not doing much Netflix these days. I watched Hap and Leonard earlier in the year, all three seasons. Too bad it's been cancelled, an excellent show, even if a little social justice preachy.

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the update @Brownie, sound like you are doing really well :2thumbs:.

Here's a couple of Netflix series to enjoy (or not)

Afterlife starring Ricky Gervais
Cuckoo. We are halfway through season 5 and it is really funny.

As mentioned above "Chernobyl" is a really good watch too and since the virus thing started I have watched all of "Madmen" which I really enjoyed.

and since the virus thing started I have watched all of "Madmen" which I really enjoyed.
That was a great show. I watched a show about the Madman show before I saw Madmen the first time. It explained how detailed they were with the props shown in each scene. Not an easy task to find all those goodies from the 1060’s and be accurate. Of course my wife and I could scrutinize it with our age....

May just have to watch it again. We’ve been rewatching some of our favorites this summer which is rare for me as I usually never do that.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
If you haven’t watched ‘BANSHEE’ yet make a point of doing
My wife and I were hooked for 4 seasons all watched in a row
Available on several platforms
(Please note quite violent in places and sexual themes)

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Ended up checking out a bunch of comedies recently -
  1. Great News - promising after a couple of episodes but not super compelling
  2. Big Mouth - ok after a couple of episodes, will be interesting to see if they can take some of the adolescent humour somewhere interesting
  3. American Vandal - loving this one, awesome satire
  4. Close Enough - huge Regular Show fan and this is like more of the same but in a more adult context, hoping there will be a S2
  5. Medical Police - ok but not super compelling after a couple of episodes
  6. The End of the [email protected]%king World - heard good things so will check it out; apparently quite dark and not really a sit-com, maybe a dramedy (similar to 'I am not OK with this' which seems promising too but I haven't got past the 2nd episode yet)
  7. Central Park - similar to Bobs Burgers - not bad, hoping there will be a S2
  8. Solar Opposites - very Rick & Morty but more craziness (if that is possible) also fascinating story within a story towards the end
Looking forward to some new Archer in September too.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
As I just finished watching the 10th season of The Walking Dead (have to admit, every season has been downloaded from, ahem, shall we say, less reputable sources, because I can't watch them in Ultima Thule without the subtitles. They are hard coded on my service. Won't renew. As I got first year free, I'm not losing too much, anyway), I've checked for the Blu-ray discs at Black Friday prices today.

And I found S01 to S09 (Season 7 as Limited Steelbook) for US 110:98 at today's rate.

My finger is hovering over the Buy-button....
OK. What the heck. Just pushed that button.
Delivery in 3-5 days.

(Cross posted from this)

Also watched the first nine episodes of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Total is 3 seasons x 10 episodes. Soon out scouring the net for seasons two and three. Good stuff!

But back to The Walking Dead!

Why did I buy the discs, you might ask?

First, maybe most important, to not have to get my viewing experience ruined by inane translation and subtitles plastered all over the picture.

Second, equally important, if something is really good, I don't mind paying for it. In fact, it's a matter of honour to do so! But I also don't like to be scammed. That's why I like to see what I buy before paying.

Third, when, like today, for instance, libraries are closed, it's good to have a few good books at hand. Same obviously goes for the internet and viewing material. In this case it's also good to have a pile of car batteries and/or a generator handy.

Fourth, I admit it! I'm a collector. I like a neat row of books, discs, cameras, disc cameras, bones, ears, teeth (Gotcha! Only kidding about the body parts! Or, am I?), and the like on my shelves.

That's why. But back, again, to The Walking Dead!
And why you should watch it...

This season was actually quite good in my opinion!

Negan have gone through an interesting development of character, without getting wimpy, even though he's turning out to be quite the soft hearted one. Hugs for small girls. Cooking for friends. But not losing his winning personality!

He might even be a good candidate for replacing Rick as the leading character! Strange as it may sound.

Rick, btw. Getting medevaced by helicopter together with Jada from the Heap poses a bunch of questions. Are Fear the Walking Dead and TWD converging for real?

What will the story of Beta the Country Singer turn into? Clearly the well deserved demise of Alpha wasn't the end of the Whisperers.

Will Eugene make it to his date in time? Will Carol regain her badassness? Will Kelly's sister reemerge from the mine?

And plenty more interesting questions, to numerous to mention, have me, for one, eagerly looking forward to season eleven of TWD!

The only thing I didn't really like in the last three episodes was the necessity to employ cat cuisine. Curdles my skin just to think of it!

I'd, personally, rather eat Nabila. Should be a healthy serving or three available there.
Maybe with red onion, leek, and mushroom. And don't forget the black pepper.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Don’t read this thread regularly so may have been mentioned before -
‘ Queens Gambit‘ on Netflix (which I now have) is very (surprisingly) good and was #1 in the U.K. recently on Netflix ratings
Currently watching ‘ The Crown’ two episodes in and very good so far and is likewise #1 in the U.K.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have one episode left of Umbrella Academy. It's a lot of fun. Once done with that I'll start season 3 of the Crown, which was recently released on NF.

If you guy don't mind some cheese and you recall the first Karate Kid, watch Cobra Kai. Original characters where possible. It's fun, if not great. It was good enough to draw me in and want the next season to come out.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
And now for something really important...

ME!

My journey continues. I spent the summer riding a bike outside. Along about mid August I realized my upper body wasn't keeping up. After some poking around I settled on Rowing, which is the most efficient exercise machine you can get. It works 83% of your muscles in one shot plus it's cardio and low impact. I also started lifting weights, nothing major, Military presses, Bicep Curls, and Triceps extensions. So, one night I row, the next night I ride the stationary bike and lift weights.

I am currently 1 lb. away from 70 lbs. gone. From 256 to 187. I don't suspect I'll hit that this week! I have 14 or so lbs. left to my target weight of somewhere between 170-175.

I just had a checkup a couple weeks ago.

My resting heartrate is 67. It was 86 when I started.
Blood pressure is 102/64. It was anywhere from 130-150/80/95 before. Doc took me off the BP medicine.
Average daily sugar went from 237 at the start to 120.
A1C is at 5.8. GRRR!! That is one tenth of a point into 'pre-diabetic' territory. One more tenth and I would've been in the normal range. Still, it's better than the 9.4 I started at.

I am at a 34" waist, down from the 40-42" I started at. When this began 36" was the holy grail, then I figured 34". Now with 34's getting loose and another 14lbs. to go, probably end up in 32's, or in 33's at the very least.

Amazing.

Do you know why people find it so hard to loose weight?

It's because people keep telling you it's hard to loose weight.

It's not. It is in fact pretty easy if you stay with it and have no medical restrictions

Now I have to listen to the same idiots telling me it's impossible to keep it off. No, it's not. It just takes the same mindset and changes to your habits. So, kiss off and STFU!

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am currently 1 lb. away from 70 lbs. gone. From 256 to 187. I don't suspect I'll hit that this week! I have 14 or so lbs. left to my target weight of somewhere between 170-175.
well done @Brownie If you had to guesstimate the benefit of diet vs exercise, how would you break it down? I think most people in my age group or older [50+] can do reasonably well at eating better, but committing to an exercise program seems way more difficult.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
well done @Brownie If you had to guesstimate the benefit of diet vs exercise, how would you break it down? I think most people in my age group or older [50+] can do reasonably well at eating better, but committing to an exercise program seems way more difficult.
I think without one, you don't have the other. Even if a little is better than nothing.

My doctor set up a meeting with a dietician when this all started. She said: "Give me 200 carbs a day and 150 minutes of exercise per week, and you will drop 1.5 lbs. per week." She was dead on. I exercise 30 minutes a day for 210 minutes per week and usually eat less than 200 carbs. Although, the nights I lift and bike usually end up around 45 minutes. I averaged 1.7 lbs./week until I hit 200, then it slowed, which is to be expected. I am averaging 1.5 now, but the more lean you get the harder it is. That's ok...marathon, not sprint.

I read an article about senior health. I had always thought that cardio was the #1 exercise for health, but it turns out it's #2. The best you can do is progressive resistance weight training. Weight training does several things. First, it obviously increases muscle mass. But along with that, it increases bone mass. Critical for seniors. More would survive hip injuries or even avoid them with better bone mass. Along with increased muscle mass you get testosterone. That is important for women as well as men, because testosterone helps your body dealing in with sugar. In improves absorption into blood cells and helps with insulin production. There are also other (ahem) tangible benefits to testosterone for men. :hide:

In addition to the above, muscle needs a lot more energy than fat, and will burn fat for nourishment. It weighs more than fat volume for volume. Some of my slowing in weight loss is due to putting on muscle. I am at 62 years old actually getting my guns back!

A lot of people already know this, apologies if I'm going overboard but I never paid any attention to it before. I found it all fascinating.

I anticipate hitting my goal around the end of Feb or early March. At that time I'll go to exercise every other day to maintain. I am looking forward to that!

So to summarize, watch your carbs and calories, exercise some. 1/2 hour 3x/week should probably do it. You can break it up to 2-15 or 3-10 minute stints if you want, I like to do mine all at once. When I drop to very other day I may just go to rowing/lifting, Rowing is an amazing workout.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom