1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by snegron, Mar 19, 2015.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Last year I purchased a Kindle Fire HD6 and it came with a free month of Amazon Prime. I ended up paying for the subscription as I was unable to compare it to Netflix (lots of price advertising but little if any info on their library/available movies).

I'm thinking of going with Netflix (or any other streaming video service) because Amazon Prime has a very limited selection of movies; most are very old and not top shelf movies. There is a better selection over at the free Crackle sight than what you get with Amazon Prime.

Anyone have these two services recently? Is Netflix pretty much the same as Amazon Prime?

p.s. I have a Roku and several channels of free streaming including Popcornflix, Crackle, Viewster, Portico, Snagfilms, etc. The movies you get from Amazon Prime are pretty much in the same category as the ones you find on these free channels.

2. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i feel like it's easier to navigate with Amazon Prime. movie selection isn't much different.

streaming with a PS3 btw

3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    (I am a long time Netflix subscriber who is offered occasional Amazon Prime trials)

Well, if you are looking for popular, recent movies, you will be disappointed in all streaming services. So far the movie studios just are not willing to sell streaming rights to movies at a price that works for Netflix, Amazon, etc. There are, however, many wonderful independent and foreign movies on Netflix, some of them recent. If you are willing to take a chance you will find some good stuff. You might check sites like http://instantwatcher.com to see what is available or recommended.

I am not as familiar with Amazon's offerings, but Netflix has a huge catalog of TV shows available for streaming, including most of my favorites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Netflix has a LOT more content. However if you want new, top-shelf movies, you aren't going to get them on any service that costs less than $10 a month. Amazon Prime is nice because within the same Amazon apps you can browse and rent new releases for $4-5 from your couch. Everything on Netflix is usually 1+ year old, too.

Netflix has a month trial, give it a go. Right now I have both. Amazon also has the music and free shipping going for it, so I'm alright paying $8 a month or whatever for it in addition to Netflix.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Netflix does have a better selection, not that either one will have everything you want. My household, however, makes apt use of the free shipping half of Prime service, so it's the one we regularly keep up on subscribing to.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I have and use both, content is slightly different and done of the original shows are with it.

For new content, I rent if I don't want to wait. I use VUDU, which also supports Ultraviolet, which is a popular digital service that congress with a lot of DVD and BluRay purchases.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Amazon is better for movies. Netflix is better for TV shows. I've been VERY disappointed at the streaming selection in Netflix (just started in January). It seems that most of their movies are DVD only.

Amazon is much better for movies. I also bought Amazon TV. The voice search is super easy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I'd say get an Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, install the Kodi app, install all the addons you like and voila! Stream all the movies and TV shows you like... for FREE!

9. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I'm currently streaming with a Roku. Amazon signal is pretty decent, other channels not so much (especially Popcornflix which streams ads in HD but the movies in the poorest possible quality setting available - images are pixelated and mostly unwatchable).

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'd say the new streaming HBO service > Netflix > Amazon. HBO would win for me because of the content they created (The Wire, Sopranos, GoT, Vice, etc etc)

11. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks! Amazon has plenty to offer if you are willing to pay separately for each movie you want. Their "Prime Instant Video" has a very limited catalog selection. They repeat the same titles (sometimes multiple times) in different categories. In other words you will find the same movie in their "Prime Action & Adventure Movies" section as well as in their "Prime Horror Movies" and "Prime Sci-Fi Fantasy Movie" sections; sometimes listed several times in the same category as well! My opinion is that this is their way of inflating their numbers to make you think they have "hundreds" of movies in each category, when in fact they are the same titles repeated several times the same section as well as in other sections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I have been thinking about trying Netflix out espeacially because of the low monthly rate. My problem is that I still have nightmares dating back to my AOL days; cancelling my subscription was a major hassle and I fear it will be the same with Netflix.

Also, if Netflix has pretty much the same low end type movies available for regular subscribers while reserving their better movies as optional/additional purchases like Amazon does, I would rather not waste time with them. I currently have Comcast Cable TV and can "rent" newer movies for the same rate without paying an extra subscription fee.

More than likely I probably won't renew my subscription with Amazon Prime as the movies included in their "Amazon Prime Instant Video" subscription are the same low budged "B Movies" you get with Roku, and Roku is free.

13. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Yes, I too have "taken advantage" of the "free" shipping. However, I noticed there are many sellers offering free shipping even if you don't have an Amazon Prime subscription. Also, I haven't had much luck getting my items within the two days Amazon boasts about.

It's like I'm paying $99 a year in advance for shipping as the mostly B movie selections are available for free with my Roku.

14. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    thats interesting, as i get free amazon shipping constantly. plus i think you also get cloud storage with amazon. i'm in the US, maybe that makes a difference?

frankly i'm constantly disappointed in netflix's offerings, and the extras from amazon make it more than worth it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Weird. I've NEVER not gotten two-day shipped items in two days, and I live in the boondocks. The 3.99 next-day shipping is an awesome feature for those GAS-assisted impulse buys! ;)

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Netflix, though, doesn't have many movies except on DVD. So, if you want movies, you can't even stream many of the newer ones, whereas you can at least rent them on Amazon. And, since I have Prime anyway because Amazon is my general store now, it's no extra money to have access to a bunch of free movies.

The Netflix you can pay monthly to binge watch TV shows, but if that isn't your thing your kind of sunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Maybe it depends where you live? I get stuff often next day, but I'm right outside a major metro area.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you can get the same movies for free, then that's great. I am watching Band of Brothers right now on Amazon Prime, and I wouldn't call that B grade. The content rotates in my experience. Netflix just dropped Dr. Who, but Amazon still has it, which my teenage daughter is addicted to. It might just be bad luck that it doesn't have what you want. I wouldn't renew it, though, if you truly get nothing out of it. You could put that money towards a new lens :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My kids watch it more than I do. There are loads of kid movies and tv shows. Keeps me from needing cable.

20. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Like I said, I'm in the boondocks, Bandon Oregon -- where the only two highways in are one lane each way, and we have to drive 3 1/2 hrs to get to a "real" city (Eugene, which is very small compared to most cities).