1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nesting Ospreys

Discussion in 'Nature' started by denniscloutier, Apr 21, 2013.

1. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    So the Ospreys are back! I am finally beginning to get a few shots I like with the used Olympus 50-200 4/3 zoom I recently bought. I used an Oly 2x tele-converter. With this combo I am finding I need to focus manually most of the time, but when I do manage to get the focus right the lens produces great results.

I'm not too sure about the post processing on this photo. I ran it through Nik Sharpener and Dfine on default mode. I also bumped the contrast and tweaked the exposure a bit in Lightroom. It looks a bit over cooked to me. What do you think?

Ospreys.

2. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Amazing. That's how I think it looks - amazing.

Reed
    My blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Very nice Dennis.

4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It looks like a terrific shot to me. Very nicely done.

5. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Composition's great. If there's any overcooking, it's on the highlights on the heads of the birds, and maybe the shoulder of the sitting bird. But those are always hard to keep detail in.

6. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks guys. Here is another one from the same shoot. I'm not sure, but I think they might be doing the wild thing. I've dialed back the noise reduction on this one and I think it looks a bit more natural.

The exposure on the heads was a problem. Basically I had blue blinkies in the nest and red blinkies on their heads, so I was aiming at just getting rid of the red. This is where a couple of stops more dynamic range would have been handy.

By the way, the speckles are rain drops. Love that weather sealing.

ospreys_2.

7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Superb Dennis. I've been using the same lens with the 1.4tc and like you I'm resorting to manual focus. The AF always seems to fail on producing excellent shots even on a static image that far away. In any case, I occasionally nail a shot or two but nothing quite as spectacular as that first shot of yours. Congratulations well done.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Noise reduction looks too heavy on these. But cool pics anyway!

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The moments/composition you captured are special enough that thoughts about overcooked pp didn't really enter my mind. However, once you planted the seed, the only complaint I would note is the amount/quality of "noise" in the background.