Nested bags?

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Does anyone make a nesting-bag system? I like my small (jazz 36) bag, but on days where every lens could be useful a larger bag or side-car would be nice. I shouldn't need to offload the Jazz 36 gear!

Most of my lenses are small but the 70-300 4thirds lens and wireless flash setup are occasional options. A second bag works for now, but I can't be the only one who would prefer a single carry item for different setups.

Probably not what you want, but here is what I liked as solution:

Recently at a function I attended I saw a photographer who had 2 lens pouches (1 on each side) attached to his belt. I have seen Peak Design Capture lens being used a few times but that keeps your lens open to elements.
This was clever-er. The guy had conjured up hard cases with soft lining to fit Nikon 105mm f1.4E and one more to fit 24-70 type lens while the body in his hand 70-200 attached. And on the outside of the each case he had permanently fixed Peak Design plate. The whole thing then would attach to PD Capture clip which were on his belt. He had a small-ish messenger/sling on his back which probably had other accessories. I would think if those cases can be made weatherproof, this is solid setup involving a little DIY.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The problem with bag in bag is that there is a lot of wasted padding space with one in the other. I've seen inserts in bags and side-cars in practice.

There's also the very unique Mindshift Rotation 180 series which has a waist pouch that can rotate for access or detach from the pack completely. I have a Mindshift Rotation 180 pack with some accessories. I find it so useful and well designed that I use it as a normal outdoor day pack. The 100-400 will even fit in the rotation compartment if I'm loading light, or else it goes in a lens changer on the outside (I sometime carry it like that anyway for quick access).

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/belt-systems

Either attach to your belt or a loop on your existing pack. Many include proper rain covers.

For a full-size speedlite:
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/pouches/products/flash-mob-v3-0

A medium-sized lens:
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/lens-pouches/products/lens-changer-15-v2-0

There are also larger 25, 35, etc lens changers, as well as more general add-on pouches for other things.

ThinkTank/Mindshift products are very well designed and made. I would definitely recommend them.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I don't exactly "nest", but I do sometimes pack a bag within a bag or bring an empty bag so I can carry a full set of gear or just a small subset. Typically, when I travel my gear goes into a shoulder bag that fits into my carry-on or I bring a photo backpack. I also pack a small Domke insert that will fit into a Tom Bihn small cafe bag. This will hold something like an E-MI body with a 12-40 and possibly a small prime. Domke wraps are also useful as you can then place a body over a lens in the cafe bag. Not exactly what you may be looking for, but it works well for me.

--Ken

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
My answer for now is to use my old Vanguard pack, with zippered gear pocket below and open area above; the Jazz 36 fits in the upper zone nicely. As noted it duplicates padding this way, but better too much I guess. A larger bag with a few more pockets and less padding in appropriate places would be ideal, we'll see if spare time lets me investigate this more.

Real Name
M@
I've got a Boundary Errant backpack that has a 'nested' camera bag thing you can get for it. The insert bag is probably around the size of that Jazz 36, and takes up about half of the interior space of the backpack. It's got a simple strap handle on the top and loops to which you could attach a simple shoulder strap. It's a pretty simple and plain looking bag on its own, but it works well with the backpack.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Padded inserts that can be moved between unpadded bags. I use Ciesta inserts in my various Domke bags but wouldn't recommend this solution. There's not enough padding or security for 99% of people.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom