1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Negative Feedback Icons Needed ?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Robstar1963, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    To Amin and the mods
    I have been wondering whether there should be at least one Negative Feedback Icon available along with the selection of positive ones currently available - 'disagree' for example and also perhaps 'not appreciated'
    At the moment there are various Feedback Icons you can choose to leave for forum member's posts ie Like, Agree, Appreciate etc which is all well and good and as you would expect
    However I sometimes disagree with a posting whether it be because of the subject matter, point of view or the manner in which a posting has been made or more rarely because the post is actually rude or disrespectful to another member or members
    Even if I try to post in a respectful, considered manner I would still expect to have some members strongly disagree with things I say and would welcome their ability to show that they disagree or that they did not appreciate something I have said as this would encourage me perhaps to rethink my initial posting or reaction where necessary
    A system whereby members received negative feedback aswell as positive may also in fact facilitate a more self regulating forum where members might be more likely to avoid ill considered comments - which are as mentioned and thankfully very rare on this forum
    This might result in less requirement for moderators action and comment as feedback from other members might just balance things out for the better and return a thread which might have lost its way back to its original intent and flow ?
    I certainly wouldn't want a system in place which would make the forum deteriorate or which would make it lose it's hitherto relaxed feel but thought this worthy of mention for discussion by members and mods etc ?
    Regards
    Rob

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My gut feeling is that negative ratings lead to additional discourteous discourse. Worth exploring the option though. Thanks for bringing it up :).

Anyone visit another site that introduced negative ratings? How did it work out?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    *disagree* :D

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," is my usual motto on the internet and in real space. I don't see how negative reinforcement is going to be useful and there are more ways to abuse that feature than there are ways to use it usefully.

Imagine your post had 433 "Dislikes". Would that make you question your original intent? Probably. Would it encourage you to post again? Maybe not.

Look, I'm disagreeing with you right now without a button. I had to take time and consider my words before posting. With a button, you wouldn't know why I felt the need to disagree with you.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I am on another forum where someone posted something political, and IMO racist. I clicked on "disagree" without further comment because I strongly disagreed but didn't think it was worth my time to write out a reply. This led to that person PMing me and posting to me in the thread asking me to explain why I disagreed.

And when I said "that's what I use the button for - to express my disagreement when I don't feel like taking the time to write more", multiple people clicked "dislike" on my post, and one went through my last 30 posts on the forum and clicked "dislike" on all of them, none of which had anything to do with politics or race. It was just retribution for getting a negative rating. I think informed a moderator (more work for that moderator), and the moderator didn't do anything about it (more negative feelings for me).

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't think I would even bother going to a site that had negative ratings. I understand the reasoning behind the request but forum discourse is such a fragile thing as it is and I have seen things escalalate quickly within conversations where the differences of opinion are pretty minor.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Some people will post trying to elicit a negative reaction.

How to handle those?

Ignore them, move on and they will disappear when they find out they can't push someones button.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet , I am of a similar opinion to yourself.
    Negativity breeds further negativity and resentment. Plus, you will always get clowns who have to take it much further than the dialogue that originated the disagreement.

I find MU43 to have an extremely good balance of member, with perhaps fewer argumentative souls as a percentage, than on other sites.
    Note I said percentage, because I don't think it's down to the number of members. I certainly think it's down to the way the forum is administered and moderated.

Whilst I've been a member only since September, I have received an occasional barbed comment, or indeed some very strongly worded argument against my opinion or methodology. However, in each, and every case, it has resolved itself simply by talking things through in a civil manner, and calmly.

I wholeheartedly believe the ability to leave negative feedback via an emoticon will reduce the opportunity to discuss the subject further, or at least allow further explaination of the subject that may have been misinterpreted.

Mr. Paris is a firm believer in the opportunity for open dialogue, and the opportunity to defend one's decision, action or views. And whilst I have found him to have some very strong views which he will openly voice, I certainly believe he has a point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Maybe "don't agree" could be a non-offensive option, whereas "dislike" and even "disagree" would likely cause trouble.

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Now that is an option, and certainly not as provocative as "dislike".
    That said, I don't doubt it would likely need close monitoring for a while, basically to gauge the impact on the perceived friendliness of the site, particularly towards new or younger members.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

I think that is splitting hairs. I think that this site is better off without a negative feedback option.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Also, a "don't agree" is probably more likely to illicit an explaination from the member who doesn't agree, as to why etc.
    Whereas I believe a "dislike" is probably going to be more of a hit the icon and split, causing repercussions later via personal messages, or even in other threads.

12. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    This would be my preference.
    However, if there had to something, rather than nothing, I believe the "don't agree" would cause less damage.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If we were going to have negative-ish ratings, I also think a "dead horse" rating might be a way for us to tell people when it's time to stop the repetitive argumentation :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    :026:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    If only it worked

:026:

• Like Like x 1
  16. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    We need a placebo button! One you can click to make you feel better but doesn't register.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Maybe a "kittens" button that automatically plays cat videos.

• Like Like x 1
  18. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Need New Button

I brought this same subject up back in 2013. The response you are getting here was pretty much the same as I got. I may not be remembering correctly, but seems I read recently where Facebook was considering some kind of negative button. Don't think they have done anything, but then I rarely use Facebook.

One statement that seems to repeat is that if you disagree you should take the time to explain why or what you have to say must not be important to you. At first I thought why should I have to state why I disagree since I do not have to state why I agree. I've since come around to this way of thinking basically because why you agree is obvious without having to post anything. The poster you are agreeing with has posted your position since you are agreeing with his statements. On the other hand to disagree, with maybe some exceptions, should require an explanation. To simply disagree with no explanation would leave readers and the poster a little frustrated I believe.

I stopped posting on this forum as much due to some what I thought were over the top responses. A moderator pointed out the “blocking” option which I started using. This is just an internet forum. No need for me to get into a heated argument.

I think a rudeness button of some kind would let people know how the forum is thinking. Maybe if a member is getting enough rudeness responses they will learn to temper their wording. The blocking option is good, but it doesn't let people know they are being rude.

Life is yin and yang. I think there should be some way to allow negative responses with a button without it becoming nuclear. There is a segment who would click a button, but do not want to go to the time and trouble of having to explain why and risk getting into a heated argument. Clicking a button would increase feedback. You have to ask is that increased feedback of any importance.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Being a rather opinionated fellow myself I think I would be more inclined to hit a dislike or don't agree button without further explanation. When I need to formulate a response it means I need to choose my words carefully and really consider my position. Most of the time I find that this will moderate my initial reaction and I will end up understanding where the original comment was coming from. I may still disagree but it has forced me to think through my response. It makes for much more civil discourse.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  20. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Adding a negative feedback capability would open the door to heightened emotions/disrespectful responses requiring increased moderator involvement and eventual thread lockdown.

On the flip side, there are forums where I grow weary of the obligatory string of "thank you's" to compliments. I can tolerate this, but not a negative feedback scenario that could evolve into a keyboard warrior environment.