1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Negating reflections on glass

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by FMJunkie, May 30, 2014.

1. FMJunkie

FMJunkie Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Australia
    Today I decided to pay for a yearly pass to go up to a viewing deck of one of the skyscrapers in my city.

It has fantastic 360 degree view overlooking the city as it's by the tallest building around. Just one problem....

The reflections from the internal lighting is ruining any chance of getting great shots. Not to mention every other nob flashing the window right when I am in the middle of a long exposure.

Does anyone know how I can deal with reflections. Is there some sort of filter or film I could temporarily attach to the glass?

I have tried to get the camera right up to the glass but this isn't easy given the window sill is small.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    You'll need something called a "polarizing filter" - by rotating it & altering the direction you point your camera you can cut out a lot the internal reflections.

Good brands are B+W, Marumi & Hoya. Cheap filters can make your photos worse.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Putting the hood directly flat against the glass will have the greatest benefit; CPLs only help with reflections/light sources at certain angles.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd do some practice at home using your kitchen window or the like and try to emulate similar conditions to the tower, and see how camera angles, polarising filter, even a portable shroud would work to stop internal reflections.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

try and block out as much of the ambient light as possible, in the end there's only so much you can do though...

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Get as close to the glass as you can to minimize the reflections you're dealing with. Use a polarizer. Try to go when the nobs aren't there.

Fred

7. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    Sounds difficult. A polarizer may not cut much. It only cuts out polarized light. The tungsten or fluorescent interior light may not be removed. I would try shooting at an angle to the window, either up or down or side to side. The glass will reflect the light that is falling at a specific angle. If you can get in a position so the lights so they are at a 45 degree angle to the window glass they should disappear. The only problem is, there will be many lights at many different angles. You could then try to clone out any light reflections.

I would try to get some good shots as close to what you had in mind and then print a small portfolio or website. Then type up a proposal to the management and ask for permission to shoot for a half hour before or after hours. You can offer them usage of the images in return for the permission to shoot. Never hurts to try. I have had some luck with local museums that don't allow photography.

Good luck.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Rubber hoods are another option, as they can "seal" against the glass, cutting out any outside interference. Doesn't help as much for multi-pane glass, but still worth a try.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Also shoot at the widest aperture possible to ensure that any crud on the glass is out-of-focus in your image.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    Tape some black cloth to the window and on top-over of your camera which you put the closet to the window.

• Like Like x 2
  11. FMJunkie

FMJunkie Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks for the tips, this has given me renewed motivation to try again.

I have a cheap cpl filter that had some marginal success during the day, but as the sun retired for the day and the awful purple neon lights became apparent combined with the throngs of people with their iPhones , and tablets that were taking pictures with flash it was a nightmare.

Thanks again guys. I will be sure to post any good shots I achieve :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Avoiding crowds is a good start. Have a lens cloth with you to wipe the glass where you will shoot. Shoot as close to the glass and as perpendicular as you can to avoid distortion. Obviously don't use flash. Bring an extra layer (jacket or shirt or something, and use one hand to drape it over the front of the lens, blocking light from getting in and causing reflections. Polarizer might not be helpful if you do all this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 2
  14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Whenever I travel to such a venue I always schlepp along a swath of this fabric.

15. FMJunkie

FMJunkie Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Australia
    Great video thanks :thumbup: