1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Neewer grip for E-M10 (Arca-Swiss)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by robertk328, Mar 17, 2015.

1. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Got a new tripod from a friend and it didn't have a plate, so I ordered this grip from Amazon for $37.99.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNA78OG/

I like it a lot! It's very well made, and adds some extra grip to the camera, though also adds size, so it will be reserved for tripod-only shooting, or if I get a larger lens (12-40/2.8, etc.), I'd probably keep it on there for balance. I'm not carrying my DSLR for size/weight, so I don't want to start bulking this thing up! ;) First thing I did was try to use the included allen/hex wrench to remove the grip part, but I stripped one of the bolts. Some elbow grease, screw extractors, various drill bits, and brute force (plus a few words I won't repeat), I was able to get it apart and replaced with some better bolts from the local hardware shop. The ones that came with it were stainless, while these are black, so they look much better.

16660960928_2875fd6bb0_b.
    Neewer Grip for E-M10
    by rekphoto, on Flickr

It does have an additional 1/4 screw on the bottom for using Black Rapid or similar straps. I like that I can access the battery/memory card area without removing the grip like you need to do for the OEM Olympus grip.

16822683686_048105fe5b_b.
    Neewer Grip for E-M10
    by rekphoto, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    How solid is the setup in vertical (portrait) mode on your tripod? Do you find that the "plates" have a good fit with Arca-Swiss type heads? I'm interested in the ones for the EM1 and EM5.

3. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    It's all very solid. No complaints though that's just been in testing fit vs actual usage. The reviews seem to indicate a very good product.

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Thanks!

5. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    You're welcome! It's a nice alternative to the OEM grip if you want a bit more grip and need the mounting plate for your tripod.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Let's me get this straight then.....

So ya buys a 'small' camera, then ya sticks that great ugly thing on it...?

Nagh.....Ya yanking me chain.

Don't make NO sense to me a'tall.

7. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I know this is a photo forum but you can't just look at the picture you have to read too. I covered that in the first post. :) do I need a tl;dr?

8. It all starts to make sense after you try a larger piece of glass out there in front...especially legacy stuff which is generally much heavier with no plastic. You can just get a better handle on how it balances...and you'll know the minute you try it hand held with a tele. I purchased the Fotodiox Pro grip for the M10, which has no quick release mount, thinking at the time that I wouldn't need that option. Wrong! I recently grabbed a nice ball head for use on my monopod and guess what...it has the mount. DOH! And I don't like how the Fotodiox grip places the 1/4-20 thread for tripod use. It makes you not want to use it that way. So I may have to go with the Neewer. There's only one situation I've found where a grip can be a PIA...that's while using the 9mm body cap lens. It's so wide and so short from the body that it's very easy to inadvertently get your fingers within the view

9. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I've used mine with the tripod a few times and I'm glad I have it. I've done both horizontal and vertical and both were super easy and convenient.

10. It would certainly be less awkward being able to leave the grip on while using the ballhead/tripod setup. That will certainly be on my "must have" list...after a couple more pieces of glass.