Needing Refresher on E-M1 C-AF w/FW3.0

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I normally rely on my Nikon gear if I need to be shooting C-AF, but I have an upcoming trip where I will be using my E-M1 (and E-M5). I just updated my firmware to 3.0 and hopefully reset all of my settings as they were previously. But, in addition to wanting to learn Live Composite for an anticipated shot, I suspect that I may need C-AF for some action photos that I am also anticipating. I also know with the new firmware that C-AF has improved on the E-M1, but I know that the settings that I might choose with my Nikon do not directly map over to Olympus. IS there a good article or post that covers the recommended settings for C-AF on the E-M1 with firmware 3.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My brain cells are a bit frayed from trying to correctly re-enter all of my settings after the update, and a lot of the more cryptic ones, like those related to C-AF are starting to all look the same.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't know about articles, but this is what I've found to work reasonably well:

- C-AF mode, without tracking
    - Set AF-lock to Normal
    - Set AF area to Central 9 squares (I find this works better than single point)
    - Set Rls priority to Off

I often use back button focussing too - that way I can control when the camera re-acquires focus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the settings. These seem to be very similar, if not identical, to what I was able to find during a search I ran last night when I had a few free minutes after my initial post above. Also, several people mentioned that you need to use C-AF High instead of Low. I am curious as to the experiences of other members as well.

Thanks,

--Ken

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Are you referring to the drive mode high and low? If so, it wouldn't really matter, the improved algorithm works for both, you just are able to C-AF between each shot at up to 9FPS.

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, I was referring to the drive mode. There was a long thread at "the website that shall not be named" that recently discussed this, and one poster was implying that there was a performance difference between the two modes because, IIRC, the High mode did not having to maintain a LiveView and this allowed for better tracking. It sounds possible, but as I said in my OP, I normally use my Nikon bodies when shooting action that requires C-AF, so I have no actual experience to base an opinion upon.

--Ken

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    High mode disables CAF while the shutter release is held, low keeps focusing.
    Unless that changed in 3.0.

Barry

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That changed in 3.0. Provided your lens can rack fast enough, it will now do continuous PDAF at 9 FPS (in CAF and CAF-TR HI modes).

8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Low is now 9fps, right?

What about high? I assumed still 10fps and CAF pauses.

Barry

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LO is identical to before as far as I can tell - still full re-focus and re-meter, SAF and all, using the combination of PDAF+CDAF confirm as before.

HI SAF is identical to before as well, 10 FPS but exposure and focus are locked. HI CAF and CAF-TR is where it's different - 9 FPS, exposure locked, but CAF re-focuses for every shot using PDAF with no pausing. It looks like the first focus acquisition (on half press or back button focus) is still PDAF+CDAF confirm, but subsequent shots in the burst are kept in focus using PDAF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Olympus wording has changed, and now says 9fps and above. I have tried 9fs and 10 fps on the same shoot and they both work equally well.
    Cheers,
    Don

PS. a couple of long bursts at 9fps and when the buffer filled and it got down to about 2fps, those images which covered some territory up to closest focus were all still in focus

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do you guys use IBIS in sequential shooting modes? I notice in firmware 4.0 that it's disabled by default.

Also, what's the difference (if any) between 6FPS and 6.5FPS? e.g. why is 6FPS the default for CAF-LOW?

Thanks,
    Barry

12. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

Someone else will have to chime in to confirm, but the ibis will only work up to one of those options (I think 6 fps but I just got an em1 and still playing around so it's all a bit jumbled)

• Like Like x 1