Needed some ice to fix my lens!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Well, not exactly...

I dropped my camera a couple of days ago and it landed on the front corner of the 14-150 lens. After a quick check I concluded that everything was oK. But yesterday, I noticed that the UV filter had a a crack at the edge and the filter rim had a dent in it. I tried to remove the filter but could not, regardless of how much force I used - and I used a lot!

I put the lens in a plastic bag and placed the front of it in some ice. 5 minutes later I was able to unscrew the filter without much difficulty. So it was good that the lens housing is plastic and the filter rim is aluminum; thank you laws of physics and different co-efficients of expansion! :)

Ironically, I never used to use filters on lenses. The only reason I put them on my OLY lenses is because I don't have hoods for them - why they don't come with hoods like nearly every other lens I have purchased, I cannot fathom but that's a different issue. But in this case it appears that the filter may have saved the lens.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I would not have thought about using ice. Not sure if I would even be bold enough to try it. Thanks for posting this info.

BTW, I'm glad your camera and lens is okay!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Handy tip - thanks! :thumbup:

4. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    A better tip is 'don't drop the camera' ... seriously, this lens seems to be able to stand a lot of abuse

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  6. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Finally, not sleeping through ALL those physics classes pays off!

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I usually use a blow dryer and heat stuck filters!

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This only works when the filter ring is metal, and fewer and fewer of them are any more.

The simplest way to remove a stuck filter is to get something rubber, like the back of a mouse pad, place it rubber side up on a flat surface, push the face of the filter into the rubber and rotate the lens to remove. Very often the filter can be removed just by pushing it against the open palm of one of your hands.

Gripping the outside of the ring distorts it and makes it harder to remove.

9. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Agree - that usually works but it didn't for me this time and thus the ice. Only took about 1 minute with the lens end in the ice (plastic bag around lens) until the AL ring shrunk enough for removal.