Needed my PEN to be more pocketable

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Mar 24, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    This week there were quite a few times I wanted to have my E-PL5 with me, but didn't want to carry a bag or extra gear. Kit lens just isn't pocketable.

So...I ordered a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 pancake. I wasn't planning on it, but I think I'll get some use out of this combo.

Next (planned) purchase should be a PL 25mm 1.4. The 14 & 25 should complement each other without overlap. 14 (28mm equivalent) isn't so wide that it is too limiting. I hope.

P.

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    The 14 is a good choice, makes my GX1 pocketable, to go smaller still, could try the Olympus 15mm bodycap lens, but stuck with f8 and not so good edge aharpness. Depending on your subject matter, I don't find it too wide, in fact when I have my standard zoom on, I shoot 14mm most of the time

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 14mm is a great lens! I love the focal length, always have{28mm in my 35mm days}. The Sigma 30mm is also a good match to the 14mm, although it is a bit slower at f2.8.

4. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Good suggestion on the Sigma 30. I might go that way as money's kinda tight these days.

P

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I used the Panny 14 on my E-PM1 for some time and I now use it on my E-PM2 and GX1. It's a nice, compact combination that works well. Easily jacket pocketable, too.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Might I suggest (if the budget allows taking a bit of a flyer) that you take a look at the 15mm "body cap" lens? You can check out some of the images on this thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-15mm-f8-bodycap-lens-image-thread-34474/

I find it a ton of fun to work with, and you can't get anything smaller.

At $50 U.S. it may be considered a bargain:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-BCL-1...UTF8&qid=1364257557&sr=1-2&keywords=15mm+lens

(Amazon link above, B&H currently closed for Passover)

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm not a fan of the quality of the 14mm. I love the Oly 12mm f2 but it's soooo expensive and not small. So, what to do? I'm not kidding when I say this, but why not taking the US $2-300 you'd spend on a Pan 14mm or the $800 you'd spend on an Oly 12mm and get an entirely new camera? 28mm equiv $1000 Nikon Coolpix A, you say? At f2.8 and no IS? Wrong. Nikon P330: f1.8, IS, 24mm, small, cute, clean ISO800, $350. I think that will by my wide angle. In daylight I predict it will hold its own vs the 14mm. Yes the 12mm will chomp it to bits, but if we're considering price and size, the P330 chomps nearly everything to bits!

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What don't you like about the 14mm, quality wise? I mean, it's a very plastic-y lens, but it focuses quickly, is pretty damn sharp, and it's tiny. The P330 doesn't look bad, although I'll stick with my RX100 (twice the price, but a good bit more performance) as a pocket cam. I do agree that 'pocketable' is a very relative term, and that if you want something that will fit in a trouser pocket you should not really be looking at MFT cams.

9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Nice idea, but don't forget, it's my money you're spending.

PEN (which I already have) + Pan 14mm ($180) = $180

Good quality Nikon, Fuji, Sony, etc. = $800 – $3,000.

This is more.

Much more.

P.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My current walk around kit, that fits in a very small waist pack, is an E-PL5, 14/2.5 & 30/2.8. The IQ and AF speed of both are very, very good. The only issues is some CA, and LR4 removes it.

FWIW, my good kit is an OM-D, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 & 75/1.8.

11. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    The combination of the Panasonic 14 and the Sigma 30 is what really sold me on switching completely to m43. The Sigma is not nearly as small as the P14, but I've been happy with the results, and if you can still find one of the old version, the discounts on it make the price very attractive.

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I love the 14. It's one of the sharpest primes available and has very good optical characteristics.. The Oly 12 is 2/3 of a stop faster, and thats worth a lot of $$ to many people, but the 14 seems to be the most underrated lens we have. It's really an overlooked jewel. I think you will like it a lot.

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    And if you're an old guy like me (with absolutely no sense of style) you can even put it in your baggy pants pocket. I do it all the time with the PM2.

Whenever I review my photos I'm always amazed at how good the 14mm is. It's got some CA (easily removed with LR4), but it's very sharp in the center and renders beautifully. Easily one of my favorite lenses, and not only because it's so small.

Good choice!

14. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The 14mm works well on my OMD, along with the Oly 45mm it's one of the real value for money optics - I won't be rushing to buy the 12mm anytime soon.