1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need Zoom Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jacko, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    Hi
    I am a recent EM5 owner. I am trying to break the Canon 5Dlll habit, and I have never been a zoom user of any consequence (other than my trusty 28-70 f2.8.) All the lenses I have purchased have been primes. For some unknown reason, I feel it necessary to own one now. So, now I am looking at the Oly 40-150 and the Panasonic 45-150.

Any advice for this rookie would be much appreciated.

Jack

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're fairly close. The Olympus is a decent bit less expensive. The Panasonic is optically better, and smaller. Of the two, I'd go for the 45-150. But you haven't really explained why you want the lens, although admittedly at current prices, it's not a particularly expensive experiment.

3. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    I am not really sure. I have a 17, 45 and 60. But for some unknown reason i feel i need a zoom. ::Shrug::

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You'll lose a lot of depth of field control over what you are probably used to.

However either one of the two would be a low cost means to assess whether a zoom fits your needs.

5. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    Clint

Thanks....good advice.

Jack

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The big weakness in the u43 lens line up is decent tele zooms. The two lenses you mention are OK, but they're slow and the optical performance is acceptable, but not great. The best option in this sort of range is the Panasonic 35-100 - at a price.

I'd go for a used 40-150 and see if it works for you. If not, just sell it on - chances are youll get what you paid for it, so zero or minimal cost to try.

7. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    If you're not averse to spending a ton of money, Oly should be announcing a 40-150 f/2.8 soon. I'll probably want to pick that one up as my medium-long tele glass.

For now, I have the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, but may consider selling it to pick up the Oly 12-40 f/2.8. We'll see how this plays out, I won't have extra money for a few months, tho.