Need Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by StudioHeraBell, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    You should also add an mp3/mov file for mobile users and users that turn off flash.
    The audio just buffered and never played.
    You have some awesome wedding pics but the look and feel of the site are not even at the same level.

I have no affiliation with this site and am not a fan of flash, but if your going to use it, here are some awesome examples to lift some ideas from.

Free To Be Me | Showit
    35 Beautiful Photography Websites - Smashing Magazine

2. I shortened the flash version now. It should load better. Let me know.
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Well, the use of Flash has eliminated all 3 million iPad users, along with their fellow 11 million iPhone users....

Apple's not allowing Flash has been interesting / frustrating for both users and designers on occasion..
  4. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    i was going to say the same thing. Can you maybe do a mobile version? So anybody who is looking on there iphone/etc can still see the photos and videos? Even if its just photos and ur email etc.
    Can you change the main bar running along the top( Ie all ur links ) as it reminds me of them very cheap google adverts you see (ie click here and win type thing) Maybe its the colour or something. I don't know can u make it have a "better feeling to it" Remember most of the people who are going to be looking at your site are excited cos they are getting married. I am sorry but it feels and looks just plan.

On the plus side the photos do get a 10/10 :)
  5. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Honestly I don't have the patience to wait for the the flash to finish buffering. Apart from that I would lose the email and phone number since there already is a contact option in the main menu.
    Is it a movie? I'd make it bigger, right now it seems small enough for a handheld device. When watching on a computer screen I want it to be large.
    Ok, after a good 5 min it's finally done buffering. Nice photos! I would appreciate them more if they'd be big part of the page, right now the page is big and the photos small. I would also crop them when necessary to fill the whole space. The writing in the background also steals some attention. Some variation or texture in the background can be great but preferably abstract patterns or similar, if it's text you tend to read it. I'd put all the information (links,email etc.) on a separate background color. Just like the links in the main menu or simply expand the main menu and put all of it there.
    -Important- this is IMHO
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was watching the megabytes tick over as it was loading and had to abort. I don't have a big enough download limit to view too many large files like that.
  7. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Is it the Flash only or the site too ?

For the site, agree with Bermuda, it looks plain, and frankly rather old styled like in the early days. Although the picture itself is good, the site that frame it is not flattering. An eye for photography doesn’t have to mean great eye for website design, but something more attractive is good :)

The site example in Brian’s link could be something to consider. Rather than doing slideshow, you could choose one of the best photo and show it in larger size dominating the site as title rather than the banner.
  8. Thank you for all your valuble input. I might take few suggestions in consideration.

Meanwhile I have a fully booked scedule with shoots. No time to web design.

I agree, yes my web sites are rather plain and "old fashion" in design. Yet according to some they are high in photo diversity content.

One of these days to please the anti Flash IpPad users I'll upload the Av show to YouTube which ill kill the quality and the clarity of the shots, but it will be there for high volume traffic.

Thanks a million once again. I appriciate your comments.

9. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The music is not that important IMO (turned off music in almost every site and really annoyed on the few sites that doesn’t have the shut up button).

Instead of AVI, you could try using **** Script. I tried a quick search but the tool to make it is shareware. But there should be free scripts for it somewhere. :)

BTW, why is that island name got censored here ? Not like it’s a profanity or something ?
  10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Just a heads up to the iPad users...skyfire app $4.99 should solve most of your flash woes. Only thing is it must be a U.S. site/server. Does not work for Canadian sites, don't know why, but us Canucks can't view our home grown flash stuff. Hope this helps.
  11. When you are building a web site today's day an age, you realise you will not please most people. Let alone, most comsumers don't have a calibrated screen, thusfor the way you look at the output and quality of your shots, you are really playing a gamble.

I am visiting a lot of sites, most of them are all done in Flash. Mine isn't. Only AV's on my site are in Flash format...

As for music. In the past I have gotten so many complimets on the music choices on my AV's.

I can see as a photographer you might not care for the music part, but most wedding comsumers who are brides do.
  12. I have a question to you all...

If I upload the same AV to Youtube, then add a link to the site? Will the Ipad users and everyone else will be happier?

I heard if you are not regitered on YouTube, you can't watch it. Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Hera... Making a website which will work well for all platforms is not about pleasing anti-flash people... it is to please YOU, by allowing more potential clients to consider choosing you rather than another photographer. It sounds like you have all the eager clients that you can handle as is, though, so perhaps focus on pleasing the many who are already clambering for your services and let a professional worry about making your web presence broadly accessible.
  14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Hera,

IPad / iPhone users didn't make a conscious choice to avoid / eliminate Flash. That choice was pre determined by Apple. That said, 15 million iPhones hit the street last year alone... 7 million iPads too.

Verizon had to shut off its pre orders of iPhone sales after hitting the 500,000 mark in one day.

This a very large, new and thriving connected market. To relegate them as an afterthought during design of your web site could prove to be unwise decision in the long term.

There are many many APP design houses, Apple maintains a list, you could actually have a "mobile version" of your site if you feel really dedicated to the use of Flash.

Most market research shows that folks only want music on a web site if they chose to visit for that purpose i.e. Pandora etc. et. al.

If in fact music exists, they prefer a large easy to find "turn off the music" button.

I agree you can't "please them all" but the market for mobile APPs, and devices that run them is racing ahead... For me the question seems more along the lines of;

"Do I want to please the Flash programmers, or attract the 18 million new iPhone / iPad users that appeared last year".

Cheers, Alan
  15. I will remedy the web design problem by hiering someone to re-design the site. In time, please be patient. Once I am ready I'll ask your opinion regarding the design of the web site.

Meanwhile the AV now loads faster thanks to YouTube.

Does Ipad (or Apple) users can visit YouTube? Just curious? No one aswered my question about it.

Thanks again.

16. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hera, youtube should play on almost anything...
    it works on my iphone 4.0.
  17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yep Hera, we have 4 Mac's and Youtube works. I think it's the web browser used that dictates whether you could or not, but I'm pretty sure all web browsers do. If you have real player downloader which we have, it will download and save any youtube video you watch.
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Hera,

Yes. There's even a dedicated APP for Youtube for both the iPhone, and the iPad.

The videos work perfectly...
  19. Thanks everyone. One problem is solved... At least. :smile: