Need your kind assistance: Lens with Good Bokeh/Sharp/Detail

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi, can any one advise which of these lens has a better Bokeh which is also sharp with good details for my GH1 and I intend to get the GH2 when available.

1. Angenieux 25mm / 1 Inch f .95 C Mount Or

2. Steinheil Quinon f1.5 25mm

My needs:
For flowers and portraits.

Any other good option that you can recommend.... and adapter as well will be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advanced for your time.

P.S. Viewing thr the threads right now and noticed quiet a few are using the 50mm reach. Do share your user opinion between 25 vs 50mm. Thank you.

Ric

footagehead

New to Mu-43
the c mount will likely give you great bokeh, and some c mounts have very quirky styles of bokeh.
you can find alot of info on c mount lenses (and other legacy) adapted for m4/3 at this blog:
Pictures Taken with Manual Focus Lenses Photo Gallery by Yu-Lin Chan at pbase.com

also found this site that has photos taken with exactly those c mounts you are considering:
objectif monture c Angenieux 25mm f0.95 - Liste des 288 Objectifs monture c, (bis) - 288 objectifs ciné, cs, cctv, tv ( c-lens, c-mount, ciné lens )
objectif monture c Steinheil Quinon f1.5 25mm - Liste des 288 Objectifs monture c, (bis) - 288 objectifs ciné, cs, cctv, tv ( c-lens, c-mount, ciné lens )

these are all going to be manual of course. one of the benefits of going with a lens built specifically for the lumix g series is that you can have automatic focus and aperture. check out the sigma 50mm, not sure if it's auto though. 50mm is the usual go to for portraits and smooth bokeh. also look into a macro lens for the nice closeups with good bokeh. leica 45mm 2.8 (90mm eq) is an option but pricey. but macros will give great portraits as well. remember to consider crop factor (you'll have to be twice as far away from subject). usually doesn't bother me though. the 20mm f1.4 pancake (40mm eq) is an excellent lens too, with good bokeh, but not as good as the sigma or canon 50 (100mm eq). but i use it for portraits, its fast as hell, its tiny, and i tend to leave it on all the time.

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the link and your perspectives on legacy lens.
The first one is really useful and I have been viewing his pics the whole afternoon.

Your recommendation of the Pana 45mm f 2.8 is simialr to what I read last night from the dpreview m4/3 system/ Someone ask for recommendations for a Good MF 500mm lens. One person wrote that he ahs been down that road and spent a bomb on legacy lenses and in the end found that the Oly 50mm f 2 and the 25mm f 1.4? turn out to be sharper and had nicer smooth bokeh compared to his legacy lenses. He does not think that the legacy lenses are fully compatible with m4/3.
Someone from the DPI forum has recommended to wait for the Voigtländer 25/0.95 or go for the PL 25mm f 1.4.
I forgotten to mentioned that I have the 20mm f 1.7 and read that the PL 25mm f 1.4 is a shade better than the 20mm. Guess not much point going down that street.
Since I love taking macros as well, I think a macro lens like the Pana 45 mm or Oly 50mm f2 should be a good consideration. I read that the Oly 50mm does not AF so Pana 45 mm seems to be the best deal right now - AF plus OIS. From the link that you sent me I saw some pics from the Carl Zeiss Contax 5 Planar Makro 60mm f 2.8 and I am pretty impressive with the colors. Will try to gather more info between these two and the Oly 50mm.
I should check out the Sigma as well.
Which 50mm Canon are you referring too? f 1.4.

The other lens from your link that caught my eyes is Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f 2.8. Very sharp but need to check out if bokeh is smooth?

thank you for your kind assistance and will keep you posted what I buy eventually

cheers

ric

the c mount will likely give you great bokeh, and some c mounts have very quirky styles of bokeh.
you can find alot of info on c mount lenses (and other legacy) adapted for m4/3 at this blog:
Pictures Taken with Manual Focus Lenses Photo Gallery by Yu-Lin Chan at pbase.com

also found this site that has photos taken with exactly those c mounts you are considering:
objectif monture c Angenieux 25mm f0.95 - Liste des 288 Objectifs monture c, (bis) - 288 objectifs ciné, cs, cctv, tv ( c-lens, c-mount, ciné lens )
objectif monture c Steinheil Quinon f1.5 25mm - Liste des 288 Objectifs monture c, (bis) - 288 objectifs ciné, cs, cctv, tv ( c-lens, c-mount, ciné lens )

these are all going to be manual of course. one of the benefits of going with a lens built specifically for the lumix g series is that you can have automatic focus and aperture. check out the sigma 50mm, not sure if it's auto though. 50mm is the usual go to for portraits and smooth bokeh. also look into a macro lens for the nice closeups with good bokeh. leica 45mm 2.8 (90mm eq) is an option but pricey. but macros will give great portraits as well. remember to consider crop factor (you'll have to be twice as far away from subject). usually doesn't bother me though. the 20mm f1.4 pancake (40mm eq) is an excellent lens too, with good bokeh, but not as good as the sigma or canon 50 (100mm eq). but i use it for portraits, its fast as hell, its tiny, and i tend to leave it on all the time.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your recommendation of the Pana 45mm f 2.8 is simialr to what I read last night from the dpreview m4/3 system/ Someone ask for recommendations for a Good MF 500mm lens.

I really like it -- it's one of my two native lenses.

web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Deirdre, very nice indeed, lovely contrast and colors and sharp.
Pana 45 mm f 2.8 -- just to be sure.

Thanks for sharing the pic with me.

cheers and have a nice Sunday

ric

I really like it -- it's one of my two native lenses.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
depends how much you are going to use it
Pany 45mm f2.8 = ££££

You can get a 50mm/55mm MF Nikon or Canon Macro for £50 to £100

search the web for Nikon 55mm f3.5 Macro images - but there is a f2.8 if you are after more OOF

If you want to see some great Pany 45mm f2.8 images, Antonio is your man

https://www.mu-43.com/gallery/m522-ajramirez.html

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I have both the 20mm and the 25/1.4 panaleica....the 20mm is a very nice lens... but the 25/1.4 is in another class... a truly exceptional lens... though the AF on a E-p1 is not as good as on a oly 510.

here are shots from the 25/1.4 all taken on the oly 510 - but I am sure same visual result could be had from a micro 4/3

Panaleica 25/1.4 - a set on Flickr

k

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Kevin, thanks for your confirmation that the 25mm f1.4 is in another class of its own. I just viewed your Flickr gallery and a set of great shots. Thank you fr sharing them with me.

cheers and have a nice day.

ric

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Bill, I agreed with your opening statement becos right now my investment
for the 20mm is very bad as I do not use this lens except for the odd family birthday lunches at restaurant. I have bought it since it was released! So I just started to use the 20mm and if I am successful in using it more and and most of all enjoying it -- then I will consider buying a 25mm lens with good bokeh that is sharp n detail and contrasty. I saw more images here last night and right now I fancy Klaus's KINOPTIK. Otherwise I should stick to my 20mm and not waste money.

Thank you and yes the canon and Nikon 50mm is among the long list of 25 and 50mm. I like OFF and would like to do more pics of them. My daughter has the Nikon 85mm f 1.4 and the 50mm f 1.4 is equally good as well

I will check up the link that you provided.

Thank you Bill and have a nice day

ric

depends how much you are going to use it
Pany 45mm f2.8 = ££££

You can get a 50mm/55mm MF Nikon or Canon Macro for £50 to £100

search the web for Nikon 55mm f3.5 Macro images - but there is a f2.8 if you are after more OOF

If you want to see some great Pany 45mm f2.8 images, Antonio is your man

Member Profile - Mu-43 Gallery

Latest threads

Top Bottom