Need tripod recommendation

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by New Daddy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm shopping for a new tripod, as the non-replaceable head of my current tripod got busted.

I understand that a good tripod is worth every penny, but at the same time, I don't want to overinvest in a tripod that's built to handle much heavier DSLR gear. What are some of the top-end models for M43?
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What do you want it for? Is weight, folded size, etc an issue?

I LOVE my Benro Travelangel.

There a bunch of threads on tripods already, search and read up, then we can help narrow it down based on that
  3. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Money is always a factor for me

First, Adorama has a tripod buying guide that's useful. [ame=""]tripod buying guide on YouTube[/ame]

Money is always a factor, so I went with the less well-known brand, Benro. I bought their "Transfunctional Travel Angel" off eBay.

It's sturdy enough for long exposures under most conditions and one of the legs will detach to make a monopod. It's available in carbon fibre, but (money again) I went with the aluminum.
    Even in aluminum it's reasonably light

Benro also has their own promo video on YouTube. [ame=""]their own promo video[/ame]

Good luck.
  4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I have a Cullmann (for about 20 years) and a Bogen (now Manfrotto, I believe). The Cullmann is very light and sturdy enough to hold a Bronica 6x6. The Bogen is now overkill for my G2. I use the Cullamnn much more.
  5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Tripod choice has little to do with micro4/3 or DSLR or even MF or LF photography.

It's all in the lenses you are going to add to the camera you want to put on the tripod.

If you use heavy telelenses on a regular basis, don't try and safe money on the tripod/ballhead combo. You would regret it very soon !

After having used several low and medium prized tripods, I have finally given in to this :

Berlebach 2042 Wood Tripod Legs with Levelling Column BE2042 B&H

Unless it gets stolen, I do not suppose I'll ever want another tripod in my life !

C U,
  6. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    For me, portability is important. I'll use it mostly to take family pictures including myself and, occasionally, to prevent camera shake as in low-available light situation.
  7. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Ok, that doesn't carry an exorbitant price tag.

What about a head? Some heads cost as much as the legs. Is this kind of the camera-body vs. lens situation, where you shouldn't skimp on the lens? I'm wondering what the appropriate cost allocation between the legs and the head should be.
  8. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Sirui T1005X or Velbon Ultrek

I have been using the Sirui T1005X + G20 ballhead, it's made in China which is compact when folded, and comes with a good ballhead. In fact, the G10 version is good enough. Here are some of the specs T1005X

Another one that I am using now is the Velbon Ultrek series. It's even more compact than the Sirui series when folded, but yet extends higher than sirui which i find a little short. But the last legs are much thinner than Sirui, so if there's wind, I would retract the last legs. i would recommend not to use the ballhead that comes with this tripod as it creeps on longer heavier lens, should you have any. The G10 from sirui is pretty good doesn't creep.
    IMHO, this is one of the "good enough" tripod for m43, not necessary DSLR especially considering it's thin legs and poor ballhead.
    Here are the Velbon ultrek specs

Hope that helps.
  9. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I must admit that I was lucky with the head, found a Berlebach 540

Berlebach 540 2D Panoramic 2-Way Pan/Tilt Head BE540 B&H Photo

at a much lower price.
    Just checked, and the super low price is still there in the shop where I bought it :

Berlebach 2D-Panorama kopmodel 540 | Foto Konijnenberg

So, if you were in Europe ....
    Once in a while, it's good to live in Europe. But more often than not, USA beat us with pricing for more or less everything !

Generally, I think 1 to 1 should be an OK ratio for legs vs head (and remember, I'm talking tripods, not girls :biggrin::biggrin:)

Have a nice evening,
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    B&H is carrying a new brand - Oben - that appears to be a Benro with an even better price.

What is considered "exorbitant"?