need to clean LR mess

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by phl0wtography, Sep 2, 2013.

1. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi,
    I've been a long-term LR user since version 2 on both Mac, and PC.
    For over a year now (since MobileMe was discontinued) I also use smugmug heavily for sharing photographs with friends, and family.
    Since I use both a desktop PC, and a MacBookPro, and am not a professional, I haven't cared about where I edit my photos. When I'm not home, I usually process, and upload my pics on/from my laptop, and at home on/from the PC.
    Of course this leads to different catalogues, because I usually don't bother with files once they've been shared. One of the consequences is that the smugmug publishing plug-ins can't work in syncronization, because they only work with one catalogue at a time - unless one syncs pictures as jpegs from smugmug which I don't want for obvious reasons. Now with the new smugmug and its smart galleries, I'd really like to utilize those. Also, I don't wanna backup two different catalogues in different places anymore. In short: I need to do some cleaning up, and synching.

Alright, what I wanna do or what I need to know now is: What's the quickest, and most efficient way to get the photos including the pp done to them from my laptop to my PCs LR-catalogue WITHOUT having to re-publish them on smugmug?

Thanks

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    LR sync

The way I used to do it when I had a laptop and a desktop was:

1. Always import from the camera onto the laptop
    2. Edit or whatever in LR on the laptop
    3. When I'm finished on the laptop, Export As Catalog from the laptop to a USB stick
    4. Import As Catalog into my master catalog on the desktop
    5. Delete the photos from the laptop

The last step was important as I was otherwise always forgetting where the latest copy of the edited images was.

As I no longer have a laptop, I haven't tried the new LR5 feature which allows you to essentially keep a copy of your catalog on your laptop and do all of your editing on the Previews, without needing to move the source image files there, and then allows you to sync the two catalogs. You apparently have control over the size of the Previews you choose, so the size of the catalog is controllable.

You would then manage Smugmug from the master, ie desktop, catalog.

3. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for your quick, and detailed answer. I'm on LR4.4 and not planning on grading up, so I'll give your routine a try first.

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Good luck ...

The biggest change for me was when I put my laptop away for good and stopped trying to sync all the data between the two devices. I never got it completely right.

5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I found this out over the weekend too (moving from laptop LR to desktop LR)
    Export as catalog to something you can plug into/see from the other machine.
    Import as catalog works like a charm, all ratings/meta/edits are preserved.

6. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I load onto a laptop, and edit there. Then I export the catalog to either an EHD or to Dropbox. Then I import the catalog from the EHD/dropbox. As the previous poster mentioned, everything is preserved. I only upload from the main catalog (to Flickr but it would be the same for Smugmug).

I got into a mess with Flickr a while ago (before my new streamlined process), I found a plugin for Lightroom that reverse engineered the Flickr sets looking for the photos in the LR catalog (Flickr sync). I wonder if there is something similar for Smugmug?

7. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks everybody for all the help.
    Exporting as catalogue including edits on my MBP, and importing as catalogue including metadata etc. on my PC followed by snycing photos via smugmug's plug-in (edit gallery - sync photos - edit) worked!